De Rosa Planet Frames

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

• The planet's light weight Dedacciai Mega-Tubes are hand assembled by the DeRosa family at their workshop outside Milan. They're proprietary geometry endows this frame with the handling and stability that have long been associated with the DeRosa name.
  • To further insure that the Planet's ride reflects its family heritage, each is equipped with a special DeRosa Unicrown fork.
  • In the planet, the DeRosa family has successfully blended the lightweight and stiffness of today's Mega-Tube aluminum frames, with the craftsmanship and performance typical of traditional Italian road racing frames.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by david c kelsey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    Proformance, finish.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips fairly easy, cable guides should be moved to the head tube, better never strip derailer hanger.Otherwise perfect!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
    Off the 2300 on to a De Rosa, like the owner of the shop said after I bought it and was already having a little buyers remorse, "it's kind of like hitting the lotery you really don't know what you have" Was he right... the heart logo says it all. I'm a little more in love every ride. Hard to imagin that a bike could ride so well. Hammering the hills, cornering, the bike rides superb, looks beautiful and is everything that a quality road bike should be. Maybe better than the Loto.....maybe

Favorite Ride:   Lotoja/ double

Purchased At:   Nu Vision Las Vegas

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Ultegra

Submitted by Steve Blanchard a Recreational Rider from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, coolness, fit and finish. A real work of art.

Weaknesses:    Hard to keep clean. The white shows up everything. I thought road bikes stayed clean compared to mtn bikes.

Bottom Line:
    Bought this beauty over e-bay. Was really looking for a Trek 5200, but the De Rosa Planet caught my eye. I'm a dyed in the wool Mtn Biker, so I'm very new to Road Cycling. What an introduction!! Didn't appreciate the Road cycling history of De Rosa, because I didn't really know anything about it. But, figured that this machine had all the bells and whistle's and came with top-of-the-line components. Upon arrival, I was blown away. It took me about a week to just get used to the lightness, position, and acceleration. And the quick steering is still giving me challenges. Like I said, I'm a mountain biker. So far, I'm still infactuated with this machine. Unfortunately, it has had a detrimental effect on my mountain biking. I haven't been on a mtn ride since the arrival of my De Rosa. Dam, gotta get back to it.

Favorite Ride:   Local peak called Col du Mufu

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Proflex and Paramount Mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   De Rosa Planet with all Campy. Campy Record 10 speed with Nucleon wheels. Sweet.

Submitted by kbfore a Road Racer from Roswell, GA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth ride, the front of the bike is easier over the bumps than any other al bike I have ridden. Great sprinter

Weaknesses:    Dark Color Ti paint job. My Planet was yellow.

Bottom Line:
    Had a 2000 Yellow Derosa Planet that broke at the bottom bracket. Sinclair Imports replaced it free of charge with a Derosa Vega. (The new planets have a carbon fiber rear triangle and they would not trade me even.) The Vega is smoother than the Planet.

Favorite Ride:   Nebo, VA

Purchased At:   Redneck dealer

Similar Products Used:   Pinn Paris

Bike Setup:   9sp Shorus

Submitted by Tom a Road Racer from Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness, ride, beauty

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    A work of art! Rides like a dream. It feels lighter and more responsive than my Ti bike. I notice the stiffness in the bottom bracket area when I stand to accelerate or climb. However, the general ride quality is comparable to my DEAN as far as ride comfort, handling and tracking. The oversized steerer (1 1/8) and integral headset combine to create a stiff and light front end.

Favorite Ride:   donut ride

Purchased At:   Bicycle Johns

Similar Products Used:   DEAN ti, DeRosa steel

Bike Setup:   full dura ace, Deda newton stem, kestral carbon bars, easton carbon seatpost

Submitted by Don a Triathlete from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight and typical good looking Italian craftsmanship. Geometry and use of OS tubing.

Weaknesses:    Paint does easily chip. No interchangable rear derailleur hanger.

Bottom Line:
    I'm a chronic bike breaker. Have snapped several frames at the chain stays and drop outs when stomping to sprint over a hill. My Olmo met a miserable death as it too succumbed to chain stay failure. Have been a die hard steel man only wanting to own non-american, handmade frames. Tried out the mass produced and wasn't inspired. The appeal of the De Rosa was the stiffness, weight and response. The Colnago and Ciocc were great too, but something was missing.
    The Planet feels so efficient in comparison to the others ridden and the paint scheme has drawn attention and admiration.
    LBS has Planet frames for $2000, couldn't pass up the opportunity to get near new for $400.

Favorite Ride:   Mt Diablo