Eddy Merckx 1XM Carbon Frames

Eddy Merckx 1XM

• Carbon fiber full monocoque front triangle bonded to carbon fiber rear stays.

• Hand made using T700 Tenax® and M40 fibers for strength, rigidity and elasticity and K149 aramid fibers for their dampening properties. The top layer is made from T300 Tenax® carbon fibers which enhances aesthetic by providing a continuous surface.

• No internal or external reinforcements of any other materials, eliminates creaking or movement of the frame.

• Carbon fork.

• Available in sloping sizes 43, 46, 48, 50, 52 and 54cm center-to-center.

Submitted by ironmandreamer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is very well built; and the finish top class. The BB is very stiff and beefy. EM frames are not the lightest but they are said to ride better than any other avaiable and I believe it. I'm 85kgs and on a hard 80km hills ride the frame didn't "creek" once where all of my other bikes would have and my bikes are always well maintained. I have to point out I paid a bargain price with the frame being a superseded model.

Weaknesses:    The odd size 29.4mm seatpost restricts choice but that's drawing a long bow.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding for 24 years and have been averaging 200km a week for the past 4 years. I have been riding an Eddy Merckx Gara of the same size and compact design since 2006.

The 1XM is an unbelievable step up. Besides being lighter (the Gara has a 2006 alloy Centaur group with carbon cranks whilst the 1XM has an all carbon Centaur group) the carbon just provides a much more comfortable ride. My strength as a rider is my ability to go long and my greatest weakness is climbing; the 1XM really made a noticable difference when climbing hills that I'm very familiar with.

Favorite Ride:   Any Cyclo Sportiff event

Purchased At:   eBay (EM distributor

Similar Products Used:   1994 Eddy Merckx Ti by Litespeed
2006 Eddy Merckx Gara with Centaur
2008 Malvern Star Oppy with Shimano 105
2008 Felt B12 TT with Shimano Ultegra SL

Bike Setup:   2009 Campagnolo Centaur Carbon groupset fitted with 10-speed Record chainrings, Chorus chain and cassette, Record BB and Chorus headset. Centaur carbon cages. Selcof EM marqued carbon seatpost, alloy stem and bars. Selle Italia Flite Titanium EM marqued saddle. Look CX-6 Ti Carbon Pedals. 2006 Eurus wheelset with Continental GP4000S tyres.