Fort Frames RO.FOCO Frames

• Columbus Thermachrom is a heat treated super-steel. Our Foco road frame weighs almost .5lb less than our former 853 frames.
  • Features Megatube downtube, super-tough powdercoat, English BB, and 27.2 seatpost dimension.
  • Fully hand made and internally treated with linseed oil at the factory.
  • Sizes 52cm (c-top) to 62cm.
  • Stock color: Red, also available in 12 custom colors.
  • Available with Columbus Genius/EL fork or carbon fork, sold separately.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by jimmyjames a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight steel.
    Comfortable ride.
    Fabulous road manners, definitely grin inducing.
    A bike fit for serious mileage, and very raceable too.
    Nicely finished.
    You won't see many others on a Fort.
    Get to build up your dream bike.
    Modest paint job?

Weaknesses:    Hmmm, I guess bystanders aren't likely to know what a nice bike your riding (if that's important to you), but then neither will theives.
    Get to build up your dream bike: probably not available at your LBS.
    Modest paint job?

Bottom Line:
    I bought a used team frame from the importer, since there was no dealer in the NW. He was a very nice guy, and the frame is sweet. I commute on it, which is probably a sin on such a nice frame, but I thought since I spend five days a week on my commuter I should enjoy the ride. And I do. If I hadn't bought my 'Dale CAAD 4 previously I don't think I would have bought it after; which is not to say that the CAAD 4 isn't a rocket of a bike, it is, but I could be content with the Ro.Foco. If I could do it over I'd save the $$$ I spent on the 'Dale and buy some super-swank wheels for the Fort for weekend hammering.
    The frame is amazingly light for steel (a claimed-and believeable-1.5 kilos for the 56cm), with the best ride of any bike I've ridden. It has more flex than the 'Dale, but it feels pleasantly springy, not noodlely. The frame absorbs road vibration far better than my old steel bikes--surely part of that is the c.f. fork, but the frame contributes significantly. It's very stable at speed.
    The paint, even on my used frame, was perfect. No imperfections and no chips, save on the dropouts, of course. The welds are filed, and the shapely Columbus tubing makes for a classy looking bike.
    The m.s.r.p. was 800, sans fork, which is a bargain for a first class frame from a little guy manufacturer.

Purchased At:   www.fortframes.com

Similar Products Used:   Currently (gulp): 2000 CAAD 4, Echelon fork, Proton wheels; Circa '85 Pinarello Treviso, SLX, Record; KHS Track; Dean Scout ti MB; '70s Schwinn Collegiate. Gone but not forgotten: Kona AA MB, Circa '9

Bike Setup:   Campy Daytona/Veloce mix. Record hubs laced to 32h OPs w/ DT d.b. rear, Revolution front. Performanc