Home | Reviews | Frames | Giant

Giant 04 TCR AluxX SL Frames

Submitted by B VILLANUEVA a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2006

Strengths:    weight, handling, ride quality. I have yet to experience any failure of any kind. The Frame itself absorbs a great deal of vibration and the light bend to the seat stays really takes some of the edge off of bumps.

Weaknesses:    Carbon forks are large aero blades that seem not to flex enough to dampen bumps as much as thinner, raked Carbon forks.

Bottom Line:
Hot bike in the Team ONCE TCR size small. Lightest, best handling bike I have ever ridden.

I came from a SUPER stiff C-dale 48 CM '89 Criterium 3.0 w/Carbon Forks and the Giant is every bit as stiff with a much more forgiving ride. I built it up with a mix of Ultegra, D/A shifters and Campy and it smokes. It looks fast standing still. I have seen/heard complaints of excessive flex but I weigh 225 and pound on this frame and anyone complaining of flex is just trying to brag. It has never been a problem with this frame. I have 2400 miles on it so far since January 2006.

Handling is terriffic. Compared to the bikes I have ridden before, I find the frame able to do anything I ask of it. The harder I push it the better it performs. I am still regularly suprised with its compliance and ride quality after almost a year. Sculpted chainstays are beautiful. Riding the C-dale was like falling down steps compared to the ride of this aluxx frame.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere in New Mexico my bike will take me

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   C-dale 48 CM '89 Criterium 3.0 w/Carbon Forks, Raleigh technium (aluminum frame)from mid 80's

Bike Setup:   all ultegra except dura ace shifters, nine speed, double in front 53/39, campy front derailer, semi-aero rims 20/24. Carbon seatpost, carbon bladed forks.