Home | Reviews | Frames | Giant

Frame: SL ALUXX double butted aluminum, Compact Road Design
Fork: Giant Composite aero straightblade with composite steer tube

Submitted by 6809e a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff
Pretty Light
nice narrow wheelbase.
front fork is surprisingly sturdy.

Weaknesses:    paint scheme and decals are absurd.

Bottom Line:
I attest to the stiffness of this frame. My commuter for the last almost 5 years. This frame may have saved me from serious injury. I was forced into a tall curb while riding at night and i'm convinced that while the frame broke about 2 inches from the head tube, It absorbed much of the impact allowing me to get to work on time that day.

Bike Setup:
the 105 setup except for a MTB rear shifter setup.
aftermarket saddle
carbon seatpost.

Submitted by Lenny Gordon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    climbing, sprinting, all out speed, comfort

Weaknesses:    rear can skip a little on bumpy surfaces

Bottom Line:
Bought as frame and fork and is the best $350 ever spent! Not the lightest bike out there but it's stiff, comfortable, climbs well and descends like a rocket! It responds well to jumps, and can sprint with any bike out there. I know it's ten years old but does not feel like it, and gives me pleasure every time I turn the cranks.

Favorite Ride:   any good group ride

Purchased At:   Roadbike Review.com

Similar Products Used:   Look 555...Colnago Master Light... Schwinn Paramount

Bike Setup:   FSA Wing Pro bars,K Force carbon seatpost and SL carbon cranks, Ritchey Comp stem, Campy Centaur levers and derailleur, Campy Chorus brakes, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels

Submitted by daneil a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, Strength, Stiffness, Construction Quality.

Weaknesses:    Nothing.

Bottom Line:
A beautifully light and stiff frame, my size Small 2001 TCR Team (euro black anodized version) is my favorite ride for the short crit like road races in Prospect Park. I stayed away from CF because of the prospect of crashing in races, with this frame I keep the same light weight of a CF bike, but with worry-free Al.

Favorite Ride:   The TCR

Purchased At:   RBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   2000 Mountain Cycle MOHO Road.

Bike Setup:   2001 TCR Team, Ultegra/600 8 speed, Ritchey DS Pro Wheels, Profile/3TTT cockpit, SI Flite Ti saddle.

Submitted by ruzhyo a Recreational Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, price and not many locally

Weaknesses:    Frame flex

Bottom Line:
Just got it built up at the LBS today and rode 25km home. Feels good. It feels smoother and with more 'suspension' then my rigid Cdale MTB. Frame is not as stift as a my CAAD 3 MTB. Climbs like a mountian goat.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere dry and smooth

Bike Setup:   Deda stem, ITM bars, Full Ultegra groupo, Shimano 7701 wheelset, Giant Aero carbon seatpost

Submitted by Toni Torres a Road Racer from Spain

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This frameset comes from Once's rider Jan Hruska and it's a special size between the small and the medium one;it's the lightest frame I've ever ridden and the more confident on downhyls;I'm mounting full Record;Mavic Ksyrium SL and Cinelli solido ,solida handlebar and stem;SLR saddle;giant aero carbon post;etc; this is a very light rigid and fast bike , I'm very pleased because of having purchased this bike ; more also if you know that it has cost me only 2437 $....

Favorite Ride:   everyone