Home | Reviews | Frames | Gios

Gios Compact Pro Frames

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Gios combined over 40 years of frame building expertise with 21st Century technological advances to produce this modern-classic frameset. The Compact Pro features Dedacciai Pro CroMoly Superlight Special tubing and a unique, incredibly tight rear triangle. The combination provides ideal weight and stiffness for superior climbing and sprinting performance. Replaceable rear dropouts are adjustable for long cruises or hilly ascents. Engraved head lugs, an engraved bottom bracket and chromed lugs complete a package that is a true classic

Submitted by peter price

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    very well made frame.and finish is good,the paint job seems to be tough..the ride itself is extraordinary in that it is very smooth over quite nasty roads,and the tight feel is very reassuring in fast descents.

Weaknesses:    very short rear triangle might not suit everyone, italian bottom bracket threading.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike.it has old fashioned thin tubes (columbus) that absorb all the harshness out of the road,so is fantastically comfortable. I have alloy and carbon bikes,and I reckon this is better for long audax rides,The very tight rear triangle is the secret,for brilliant feel and handling,and the gios crome front fork with its squashed section is superb.

Submitted by Francisco Garcia a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    VERY RESPONSIVE ON SPINTS AND CLIMBS. SUPER CONFORT.

Weaknesses:    MAYBE WEIGH. BUT I DO NOT MIND MUCH ABOUT IT SPACIALLY FOR THE CONFORT OF THE RIDE.

Bottom Line:
ECXELLENT, FOR ALL YOUR LIVE FRAME. HANDLING AND CONFORT ARE SUPER AND YOU CAN RIDE ALL DAY WITHOUT MAJOR DISCONFORT.

Favorite Ride:   40-100 MILES

Purchased At:   ECXEL SPORTS

Similar Products Used:   COLNAGO SUPER, COLNAGO MEXICO, CANNONDALE CAAD 9, CANNONDALE SYNAPSE.

Bike Setup:   CAMPY TITANIUN BOTTOM BRACKET. DURA ACE 7400 DRVETRAIN 8 SPEED.

Submitted by zomar aguilar a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Strengths:    the real tight real angle for superior climbing & sprinting performance (short drive train),and the quality of the pain and chrome....very fine details

Weaknesses:    maybe the weight...its slighter hevy than carbon frames but can put very light with carbon components.

Bottom Line:
the best frame that I ever had. superior performance and with campy record. better.

Favorite Ride:   gios compact pro with campy record triple

Purchased At:   excel sports

Similar Products Used:   colnago super 1986

Bike Setup:   build with campy record c

Submitted by nenad a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2008

Strengths:    Geometry, build quality, the ride, the Gios blue color. The bike will fit any purpose, from crits to century rides.

Weaknesses:    This won't be the lightest steel bike there is. But as noted elsewhere, you won't have a feeling of dragging a cast iron kitchen sink up the mountain.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding bike. Mine is Compact from 1990 but apart from different tubing it's almost exactly the same as the current model (geometry is identical).

What's the ride like? It's terrific. It rides great when out of saddle, and I attribute this to a tighter rear triangle (shorter stays) which provide extra snap.

The steeper angles of top tube and head tube (74 deg) provide a more forward "mash the hell out of cranks" position which works great on a flat and rolling terrain. This forward position does not work against a rider on tough climbs because you will naturally slide back on your saddle to adjust to the hill slope. When riding out of saddle on climbs, I no longer have a tendency to lean over the handlebars like I did with frames with slacker angles. On this bike I am much more centered over the bike as I stomp on the pedals. It's a very quick handler and it takes even power transfer to the pedals to ride it no hands. Whoever chooses to buy this frame should get a matching steel fork.

Even though the geometry is tighter (steeper angles, shorter wheelbase) the ride is nevertheless very comfortable, I attribute this to the fact that frame material is steel using traditional round non oversize tubes.

Build quality: outstanding. It takes some effort to scratch that bike, that's why I have found very few scratches on it after 18 years (admittedly, the previous owner also took very good care of the bike).

Favorite Ride:   rolling hills