Gunnar Roadie Frames

4.88/5 (16 Reviews)

New for 2004! The Roadie has been completely revamped with the new OS2 tubeset. OS2 represents advances steel technology using a 1 3/8" downtube and 1 1/4" top tube. We also added a 10mm head tube extension for easier fit. The result: less weight and a livelier ride! We also added a 10mm head tube extension for easier to fit. Also, Gunnars now come with clearcoat over decal.

Submitted by Philip Early a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2013

Strengths:    Ride. Hand made in America. High return bang for buck. I expect to have this and enjoy riding it for years.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips kind of easily. But since I love this bike I will get it refinished.

Bottom Line:
Oh the love I have for this bike. First the alternative. I had a Giant OCR 2. Aluminum. It handled quick, and was a good value. But the bottom bracket would creak, and the ride would beat me up on country road chip seal. So I was looking for a new bike, saving and leaning toward a Specialized Roubaix. I knew I enjoyed the feel of a steel bike, so when my LBS (Cascade Bikes in Montrose Colorado) had a Gunnar Roadie on sale I pulled the trigger. This bike is perfect. It is high quality steel frame, it rides like a dream. It handles tightly, quickly, doesn't flex at all under my 220< weight, it feels great. I can't praise this bike too much on it's perfect balance, and feel over rough chip seal back roads. It doesn't beat your up, and just rides sweet, inspiring confidence on down hills too. I got the 58 cm I am 6 ft tall and it just feels right. The best bike I've ever owned, and a lot of fun to ride.

Favorite Ride:   Montrose country road loops

Purchased At:   Cascade Bikes

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, Mavic Open Pro, ProDesign carbon fork, Compact gearing. I am very happy with the quality of the Ultegra components. I will be upgrading to ceramic bearings in bottom bracket. And plan on upgrading to Hed rims on Chris King hubs.

Submitted by allspinergy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    The lively ride of steel. The geometry of the 56cm fits me well.

Weaknesses:    none for the bike but I sure need to loose some lbs.

Bottom Line:
What can I say "steel is real". Smooths out the road imperfections and makes long rides enjoyable with a minimal discomfort.

Purchased At:   Joe's Pro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   various aluminum, steel, carbon fiber over my 25 yrs of cycling. This bike rides better than my last bike which was a Bianchi 928 lugged carbon fiber

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace with control tech carbon bar and seat post. Fizik saddle, Alfa Q carbon fork, cane creek headset and Williams system 38 carbon wheels.

Submitted by ktowncrawler a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    - Light
- Fast
- Great build quality, made in the USA!

Weaknesses:    - Some of the welds aren't that great looking

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like a dream. As stiff as any aluminum bike and as light as titanium. This True Temper OX platinum steel is no joke, it soaks up bumps and provides great stiffness when hammering out of the saddle. It climbs like a goat, descends like eagle, and corners like it's on rails.

Not only does it ride great, it looks great too! I wasn't a fan of semi compact geometry but this thing is a beaut to look at and I get compliments all the time.

Favorite Ride:   Gunnar Roadie

- Chris King headset
- FSA Wing Pro compact bars

Submitted by steelonlyplease a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    it's steel....the frame is what you'd expect, but the fork is super lightweight. my for weighs a little over 1 pound!

Weaknesses:    paint chips easily, other than that no weaknesses found

Bottom Line:
typical product you would expect out waterford. very nice paint, but chips easily if you didn't pay for the extra coat. Mine has the old style sweeping fork as opposed to the new straight(it's an older frame and fork). turned mine into a fixie and it's a blast!