Gunnar Sport Frames

Looking for something a little less aggresive than the Roadie? Our new Sport frameset can soak up the road miles like no other. Designed for a more upright road position, with an emphasis on comfort. Ideal for light touring, centuries and day rides. The sport accommodates fenders and longer 57mm reach side pull brakes. Waterford exclusive butted tube sets, featuring True Temper OX Platinum and Reynolds 853 air-hardening steel alloys, custom drawn to our rigorous specs. New asymmetrical D section chainstays provide rigidity along with generous chainring and tire clearance.

Submitted by dcuper1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
It took me a long time to decide what bicycle to get to replace my entry level aluminum Trek 1500. I really wanted something that was more comfortable, but I could still ride the hilly centuries in the New York area around 6 hours. It came down to the Gunnar Sport because of the longer chainstay, lower center of gravity, and ability to use bigger wheels with fenders.

The Gunnar Sport Rides like a dream. Being able to buy the frame and components separately allowed me get the best components for my money and not accept any compromises with brakes, wheels, cassette and crank sizes.

I was very worried at first the steel bike would weigh too much and the geometry was too relaxed. I have found it too be just as light as my aluminum Trek 1500 and the geometry just makes it more comfortable, but it is still very fast. I have not felt any speed lose with this bike.

Being able to choose your color scheme is also awesome.

The Gunnar Sport is made of very high end steel that is very comfortable, but still light. This is not your 1950s steel. It has really come a long way.

Steel is also a much more mature product. You can't find in aluminum or carbon fiber a bike with all the possibilities such as this one. Ride it as is and it is a very fast road bike. Add fenders, wide wheels, racks, and it is a light touring bike.

I will try to update this review once I have ridden it for more miles.

Favorite Ride:   Harlem Valley Rail Ride

Purchased At:   SIDS

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6700 throughout, Easton EA70 wheels, Chris King Headset.

Submitted by Loren a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very stiff for a steel frame. It has a smooth ride, but when you get out of the saddle and go, the bike responds. Not everyone has one. Made in USA.

Weaknesses:    You have to watch the toe overlap on this bike when fenders are on. I ride a 54cm. I guess that's the price you pay for a sporty ride and full fenders.

Bottom Line:
Very, very nice riding frame. It's handling is spot on and the ride is smooth. I've only ridden it with 23c's so far. The ride is definitely acceptable. I'll be replacing them with 25's or 28's when the time comes for more durability and longevity. The Sterling Silver paint is gorgeous. Very comfortable riding position. This is the first bike I can comfortably ride in the drops. Being able to cut your steer tube to your desired length is a beautiful thing.

Favorite Ride:   Portland Century

Purchased At:   River City Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Schwinn Fastback Pro

Bike Setup:   Gunnar Sport steel fork, Ultegra drivetrain, Truvativ Carbon Roleur cranks, Brooks Pro, King headset, king 28h hubs laced to open pro's, Conti 4 seasons 23c's, Richey Pro Ergo bars, cheap stem.

Submitted by Dave Wright a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    The key advantage of the Gunnar Sport is its versatility. Stable but maneuverable handling, good bottom bracket stiffness, and the OS2 tubeset make it work for citizen (non-elite) bike races. Add on a small rack and disappear for some credit card touring. Bolt on fenders for commuting.

Weaknesses:    There aren't many brakes and forks available today for 57mm spacing. Fortunately the Shimano BR650 and IRD Mosaic 57 are decent choices. The frame weighs a couple pounds more than a premium carbon frame, but readers of this review probably won't consider that to be a problem.

Bottom Line:
So far I am very happy with this frame. The advance of my age and the constant press of technology finally left my 25 year old bike behind. I could not find an off-the-shelf bike with the versatility I needed and quality I expected to last me the next 25 years.

Extensive review of many candidate frames made me suspect that a stock Gunnar Sport would be right for me. To be sure, I drew my existing frame in CAD, overlaid a couple of the Sport sizes, took a lot of measurements of my body and bike, and e-mailed all of this to Richard Schwinn @ Gunnar along with my personal suggestions for how the new frame should be different and how I ride. My ideal frame turned out to be a close match to the 62cm Sport, so I did not have to go with custom geometry. Richard sent back a computer drawing and full specification/dimension printout, including recommended stem stack height and extension for my body on that frame.

The frame showed up in three weeks, built up easily, and rides exactly as expected. Compared to my previous frame:

Stable enough to tuck in and fly down 40+ mph hills around corners
More rigid bottom bracket
Better road shock & vibration isolation
More upright riding position for better hand comfort
Better seated/standing transition
No wheel/toe overlap

It also doesn't hurt that their "color of the month" was a gorgeous metallic orange with a hint of freshly cut copper.

Favorite Ride:   Sticky Bun Run

Purchased At:   Direct from Gunnar

Similar Products Used:   Steel Geoffrey Butler 531DB cyclocross frame converted to road use and ridden since 1984.

Bike Setup:   Easton EA90 SL wheelset
Michelin Krylion Carbon 23mm tires
Shimano Ultegra SL triple group (except BR650 brakes)
IRD Mosaic 57 carbon fork w/ aluminum steerer
Cateye Strada Wireless computer
Crank Brothers SL pedals

Submitted by Mike in Florida a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Strengths:    Versatility. I've seen Sports set up as racers, and as light tourers. The upgraded paint job is beautiful

Weaknesses:    I bought it to be my commuter, but it's too pretty to ride in the rain and sandy grit of Florida, so I'm looking for a beater rain bike. Plus, I don't like to lock it to racks, again, because of the nice paint.

Bottom Line:
This is the 2005 Sport---semi compact geometry, True Temper OX Platinum tubing. It's a fantastic bike. Ride is very comfortable, looks like a million bucks, doesn't complain when I occasionally take it offroad. I love it, I highly recommend it. It's nice to be able to buy an American made steel frame for the price Gunnar offers.

Favorite Ride:   Commute to work

Similar Products Used:   None really

Bike Setup:   This is my commuter/light tourer, so it's set up pretty BoB/Rivendell-ish. Barcons, 46cm Nitto Noodle bar, Sugino XD, British Racing Green Brooks B17 to go with the Sherwood Forest green paint job, SKS fenders, Ruffy Tuffys, Velocity Dyad 36h rims. It's pretty bulletproof and way comfortable.

Submitted by dill a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable geometry in a lightweight road bike. Stable handling. Quality construction and materials. Good looks. Made in USA. Light enough for me - super lightweight bikes scare me. Confidence in the frame's strength.

Weaknesses:    The low bottom bracket, while it contributes to the handling in a positive way, doesn't allow as much cornering clearance as you might like. Use pedals with max clearance or expect pedal strike if you pedal through corners, even at moderate speeds. If you like to pedal through or out of corners aggressively, you may prefer a Roadie.

Bottom Line:
Performs exactly as advertised - smooth & stable on the descent, and if there's any penalty when climbing from the longer wheelbase I can't tell. handling is very predictable, but not boring - its still a sporty ride. Love the slightly less aggressive position - my bar is an inch and a half below the saddle, which is perfect for me. Excellent quality frame and fork, with no noises, vibrations, good paint job. I get a lot of compliments on the color - orange metallic over silver.

Favorite Ride:   Millcreek Canyon