Interloc Scandium Race Frame Frames

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

• Six sizes: 47cm - 59cm
• Colors: Mirror Polished w/ black and red accents or Ruby Red w/ gold accents
• Frame weight: 2.55 lbs. (54cm)

Submitted by marquism1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    REALLY light, nice welds, feels completely solid even at my maximum cranking level.

Weaknesses:    Clearcoat on the polished aluminum version actually makes it look worse, especially when it gets scratched or scuffed. I'm considering stripping it off. I also had some trouble with the chainline - it wants to be pretty wide, at least on my frame. I had to use a triple spindle to get mine to run right without annoying chain rub on the crank.

Bottom Line:
I bought a slightly cosmetically-dinged IRD frame for $120. Could not be happier. Super light, stiff, and solid.

Favorite Ride:   Wind At Back

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Dozens of frames in all materials

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace and Ultegra

Submitted by ronagra a Road Racer from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Very stiff, no flex, excellent handling, and comfortable over long rides/rough pavement.

Weaknesses:    Not fond of the graphics at all - especially with the polished aluminum look they should have been more minimal and less 80's with the decals.

Bottom Line:
Picked this up from a guy who had purchased the bike complete, then stripped the parts because it was too small for him. Put on the 9-speed Ultegra from my old steel frame and off I was. The difference was immediately noticeable . . . not necessarily the weight (I pack enough of my own not to worry about a few pounds from the bike), but the stiffness of the bottom bracket/chain stays, and the responsiveness of the ride. This bike is great - truly a tool for going fast, assuming you've got the legs (I suppose that's what I have to work on next!).

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Lemmon (when it's not on fire).

Purchased At:   Used - local.

Similar Products Used:   Custom steel frames, Cannondale (CAAD 5).

Bike Setup:   IRD Scandium Race frame with Ultegra 9-speed STI. Random parts otherwise: Ritchey stem, 3T bar, Easton post, Performance saddle, Alex Rims, etc . . .

Submitted by 2old2ride a Recreational Rider from Staunton, VA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    Read the remarks above.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful ride. It absorbs the road yet still telegraphs plenty of road feel. It accelerates quickly, descends where you point it, and climbs....and climbs. My bike shop built it up for me and just let me ride it for a week or so. It took exactly 3 rides to decide. Not being familiar with IRD I was hesitant to "buy in", but this bike sold itself. It doesn't beat me up on the road with a harsh ride, and I come home feeling like the bike worked for me and not the other way around. Miles spent in the saddle are far more pleasurable, and consequently I find I spend more miles in the saddle now. And did I mention the weight?---17lbs. compared to my old ride at 23lbs. It's set up with a Campy Chorus 9spd cluster. But because of the weight difference I find that I'm using bigger gears so there's plenty left on the lower end when necessary. The carbon seat stay and stock IRD Mosaic fork nicely offset some of aluminum's stiffness.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere on back country roads

Purchased At:   East Coast Bicycle A

Bike Setup:   Chorus gruoppo-9spd, Campy Proton wheel set, Easton carbon handlebar, Richie WCS stem, Easton Carbon seat post, IRD Mosaic front fork, and Continental Attack/Force tires.

Submitted by davbur12 a Road Racer from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Strengths:    Light, great handling bike, stable, quick and just a blast to ride. Was able to put it on the scales and its 15.7lbs!!

Weaknesses:    none so far except for those reading this review will want one.

Bottom Line:
This is a review from my last posting. After having the frame for a week and being able to race it and do an 80-mile ride on it, this bike is awesome. It has an airy feel to it but is laterally stiff. Very light. Climbs incredibly fast and sprints even faster. Great handling bike for races or long base mile rides. Superb bike!!!

Favorite Ride:   Skyline Drive or any hilly roads

Purchased At:   PedalShop Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Torelli Stiletto and Schwinn Peleton

Bike Setup:   Interloc scandium frame, Interloc proprietary all carbon fork, Cane Creek integrated headset, Ritchey WCS stem and bar, full Dura-Ace groupo, Sella Italia SLR saddle, Thompson stem, American Classic 420 wheelset, Dura-Ace pedals, Tacx Tao bottle cages and Hutchinson Carbon Comp tires.

Submitted by davbur a Road Racer from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    Haven't ridden it yet but I know its going to climb like a mountain goat on crack. Scandium is a stiff but compliant metal so it should not flex much when hammering or sprinting.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I just picked up this frame from my local shop and am very impressed with it. First off it is crazy light. The frame measures 60cm C-T and comes with an intergrated headset and an all carbon proprietary fork. Very sweet. Main triangle and chain stays are scandium and the seat stays are Columbus Curve carbon. Total weight of frame,fork and headset is 2.8lbs. Beautiful attention to detail. Welds are impecible, the paint finish is a high gloss ruby red and the craftmanship is as good as any top end race frame.

Favorite Ride:   Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge Pkwy

Purchased At:   PedalShop Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I had a Torelli Stiletto frame that I loved. Still like it a lot. Great race bike. But when I saw the Interloc frame and held it with the fork and headset intact; I had to switch frames. This bike is

Bike Setup:   Interloc Scandium frame built with proprietary all carbon fork, Cane Creek integrated headset, Thompson stem and seatpost, full Dura Ace groupo, American Classic 420 wheelset, Hutchinson tires, Tacx Tao bottle cages, Ritchie bars, Dura Ace pedals and Sella Italia SLR saddle.