Kestrel Talon SL Frames

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Combine the ultra-light weight and magic-carpet ride of Kestrel's coveted EMS line of frames with the agile handling and explosive acceleration of the Talon. The result: the Talon SL. By employing a super-strong, super-stiff grade of “800K” carbon fiber, Kestrel engineers are able to produce an extremely lightweight frame with the stiffness and performance characteristics of the “standard weight” Talon.

Submitted by Dick Wilson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Strengths:    Frame strenght, ride quality and comfort once the bike was professionally set up for my size

Weaknesses:    Nothing other than the seat post creek noise that has been addressed.

Bottom Line:
2006 Talon SL.....after reading several reviews about how stiff and rigid the frame is I have found it to be exceptional. I love climbing TN hills and this frame doesn't flex. It is a smooth compfortable bike on all road surfaces. I did have the seat post "Creek" others have described but I did find the "sweet spot" in adjusting the angle of the seat which elminated any noises.

Favorite Ride:   Jack & Back

Purchased At:   Private sale

Similar Products Used:   Orca, Specilaized and Trek

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace 7800, Mavic Askium Anniversary Wheels, Cane Creek Brakes

Submitted by Will b. a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Strengths:    Aero, stiff,

Weaknesses:    Seat tube malfunction. great bike but I keep a 4 mm allen wrench with me just in case it slips. (it has on dirt roads around Boulder)

Bottom Line:
The bike is great, responsive, light, and especially aero. It's a bike none of your friends will have.

Favorite Ride:   Left Hand to Lee Hill

Purchased At:   Race Prize

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Team Issue

Bike Setup:   Dura-ace 7800, Easton EA90 wheels,

Submitted by bill_utterback a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, Fast, Comfortable to ride, especially on long distances.

Weaknesses:    None before the frame break.

Bottom Line:
I bought a new 2008 Kestrel Talon SL in April of 2009. I loved the bike. It performed like no bike I ever rode, incredibly smooth and fast! Averaging 20mph on this bike is practically effortless. I had no problem keeping up on grous rides, and in the two months of overship had done several long rides as well. It was truly a joy.

And then, last week, I experienced a frame issue. The front derailuer cable stop, that mounts to the downtube went down into the body of the frame after I attempted to shift to the large front chaingring on the street in front of my house. I heard a pop, and my shifter no longer worked. Upon inspection of the cable, I had a hole in the fram where the cable stop once was.

After taking the bike to a LBS (certified Kestrel Dealer), they notified me that the frame needs to go back to Kestrel for their evaluation of the damage. The mechanic told me he's never seen anything like the damage in his years at the shop. It seems like a freak break that hopefully Kestrel will warranty. More to come on this.

Favorite Ride:   Kestrel Talon SL

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Chicago - Over Web

Similar Products Used:   1988 Trek 1500

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace 7800, Mavic Askium Wheels, Cane Creek Brakes.

Submitted by Al Cassel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Areo for a road bike. Stiff bottom bracket. Great value for the dollar.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really discovered any.

Bottom Line:
My Talon SL is simply sweet. When I need to put down the hammer it flies. When I need to climb it never lets me down. It is smooth over the roughest roads, and it is responsive when I need to carve through the turns. And it is a beautiful bike to look at as well.

Favorite Ride:   Out to Carefree Highway

Price Paid:    $2049.00

Purchased At:   EBay - Chicago Bike

Similar Products Used:   Novarra AL 6 frame with carbon fork and seat stays.

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra, FSA Compact Crank, Shimano Wheels, Specialized Carbon Seat post and Terry Fly Saddle.

Submitted by pal a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Weight and stiffness.

Weaknesses:    It's too beautiful a bike to take a fall.

Bottom Line:
I have put 4,000 miles on my Talon SL this past year. It is smooth and responsive. I rarely have to get out of the big ring because it just cooks along on inclines, and it eats up ground when cruising the flats. I have very little road chatter even with the roughest roads, and when I hit good payment it feels like butter. To top it off, it is a beautiful bike and it is a great value compared to it's competitors.

Favorite Ride:   Carefree Highway

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Bike Shop-EBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000 and REI Novarro AL6 frame with carbon fork.

Bike Setup:   FSA compact crank, Shimano Ultegra derailer/shifters, Shimano Wheels and hubs, specialized carbon post.

ROL racing SL vs Hawk Talon SF12

Want to change out my stock wheels on my Tarmac. stuck between the ROL SLs and the Hawk Racing SF12, suddenly a big fan of Hawk having replaced my BB with a Hawk and cant believe the increase speed on bridge/hill climbs. Reside in Florida, mostly flat rides with coastal winds 8-15knts, so any advan ... Read More »

Looking for some clarity on Ketral Talon frames sl vs non-sl vs. Year

I'm looking into a talon road or tri. Depending on year 2008-2011 I've read conflicting information. Sometimes the frame is called out specifically as an SL (older years) yet on newer 2010 models there doesn't seem to be that distinction and all talons use the 800 carbon? Can anyone help?Read More »

Kestrel Talon SL Frame, Damaged out of the box

Hello all, I decided to pick up a new Kestrel Talon SL bike configured with the SRAM Red kit. I received the bike in a timely manner and brought it to my local bike shop for assembly. They put most of it together and when they got to the last part, they unwrapped that area of the frame and found th ... Read More »

09 Kestrel Talon SL vs 09 Trek Madone 5.2 project 1.....

Here's the delima.... My LBS has an 09 Trek Madone 5.2 which they had painted. Awesome looking bike with SRAM Rival components. I can get an awesome deal plus they offered the life time warrenty and they will always take care of my bike. It is a thing of beauty. The problem is it will break t ... Read More »

Kestrel Talon SL Problems

i have the 08 talon SL and had the typical seatpost problems that are pretty common. got the seat post slipping problem fixed and now i have a problem with the seat pointing up or down as the clamp is not holding very well. :mad2: at what point do i warrenty the frame VS deal with the minor Pain ... Read More »