Landshark Bicycles Road Shark Frames

4.74/5 (35 Reviews)

Frames include handmade Landshark steel fork, full custom geometry and tubing selection (gauges and diameters) and full custom paint. Dedaccaii (Italy), Reynolds (England) or Columbus (Italy) tubing.

Submitted by gary

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2014

Strengths:    Unique paint

Weaknesses:    Had a frame made in 1989 and sold it to a race buddy a year and a half later after his bike was demolished in a crash. He took it to Medici to have it painted and after bead blasting the old paint, the frame had rusted through on the down tube in multiple areas?
His frames were nothing more than pretty paint and zero tube treatment. I puchased a Basso Gap right after I sold the Shark and still ride it today, 25 years later. Not to mention the bike would shimmy at 26-27 mph.

Bottom Line:
I hope he JS has developed his frame building skills and QC.

Submitted by duogeek a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    custom fit-if your going to pay that much, might as well go all they way.
lovely steel ride
one of kind, gorgeous paint job

Weaknesses:    if you have to ask...

Bottom Line:
This bike is what custom is about. Full Stainless Reynolds steel main triange with a special steel chainstays and carbon seatstays result in the ultimate ride. It is light, but who cares! This beauty rides on rails and I live among some of the worst roads around. I ride mostly flat roads, but the few hills is where this bike really shines. There is no shimmy, and that rail feeling persists, though I've had to make a few quick changes(due to varmints on road) and the bike responds with no hesitation. Custom is the way to go and working with John-he is professional, timely, and fantastic-follow his recommendations! This is my third bike from John, and I couldn't believe the bike could get better, but it did. I just hope this doesn't sound too much like a commercial!

Favorite Ride:   Landshar

Purchased At:   direct from John

Similar Products Used:   none of this category, other bikes:
bianchi, trek, cannondale, specialized, marin, kuota,

Bike Setup:   Campy Chorus everything, Record wheelset, classic flite saddle, Ritchey cockpit

Submitted by Tom a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    The combination of comfort, stiffness, and stability.

Weaknesses:    Fear of wrecking it, getting it stolen, or forgetting it on the car top rack when driving into the garage.

Bottom Line:
After reading all the other raves about Land Shark, I wanted to add my kudos to John and his abilities as well. I was VERY luck to find my Land Shark on Ebay. Although I didn't get a custom fit, the bike fits so well that I didn't need to. At over 200lbs and 6'3", getting this large frame was its Dedaccai Extra tubing was a true find. Once acquired, I sent it back to John for a repaint and a pump to match. He was nice enough to add a Chris King headset for a cost I couldn't get elsewhere and he installed it as well. After putting 400 miles on it now I can report it as my official "best" bike. Stability, turning, comfort, looks, everthing puts this bike at the top. I have a custom titanium, a Trek Madone, custom Schwinn Paramount, and a few other bikes in the stable. None ride as sweetly, keep me as comfortable, or turn as many heads as the Land Shark.

Favorite Ride:   Land Shark

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone, Schwinn Paramount, titanium,

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra triple

Submitted by hayduke1972 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    Ride quality is superb, construction is top notch, bottom bracket stiffness is perfect

Weaknesses:    the motor could be stronger ;-)

Bottom Line:
I've wanted a Landshark since my first bike shop job in 1995 in Medford, OR where John was a regular visitor. I finally found one on E-bay that fit my measurements for a bargain. It is one made in the 90's with Reynolds 731OS Race. Brazed with a lugged bottom bracket shell. The oversized downtube makes this frame for me...stiff at the BB but compliant elsewhere. The steel fork is a perfect match as well. I don't know why people bother with carbon forks on steel frames...I've tried it and it doesn't work for me.

Favorite Ride:   Apriary Circuit

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Bertoni Lugged, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Landshark with 731 OS Race.
-Ultegra shifters, dérailleurs, BB, hubs.
-Mavic Open Pro, Wheelsmith DB spokes
-Ritchey Pro compact cranks
-Salsa stem
-TRP brakes

Submitted by iwillchopyou a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Road feel, lively frame, very comfortable ride, custom paint job is truly one of a kind, price for what you get

Weaknesses:    Only one that I can find--little flexy BB.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for about 9 months and ride about 200 miles per week. Paid $1000 for the frame at gvhbikes.com (great people).
This is so much more of an enjoyable ride than my previous aluminum bike--the difference is amazing. I can ride twice as long before I feel road battered and fatigued. I love how smooth everything feels. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is when really applying maximum force to the pedals, it can feel a little mushy in the BB. I'm thinking of making this my training bike (bought it for racing) and upgrading to a stronger frame for racing (cervelo R3 if my better half allows me). All in all though, I really like this bike--looks, feels lively, and doesn't beat up my body like my old bike does. I also average about 1-2 mph faster (I attribute this to the steel properties, allowing me to more fully relax on bad roads).

Favorite Ride:   local mtn passes

Purchased At:   gvhbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra, spinergy xaero lite wheelset, Chris King headset, Deda stem and handlebars