Landshark Bicycles Road Shark Frames

4.85/5 (34 Reviews)

Frames include handmade Landshark steel fork, full custom geometry and tubing selection (gauges and diameters) and full custom paint. Dedaccaii (Italy), Reynolds (England) or Columbus (Italy) tubing.

Submitted by duogeek a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    custom fit-if your going to pay that much, might as well go all they way.
lovely steel ride
one of kind, gorgeous paint job

Weaknesses:    if you have to ask...

Bottom Line:
This bike is what custom is about. Full Stainless Reynolds steel main triange with a special steel chainstays and carbon seatstays result in the ultimate ride. It is light, but who cares! This beauty rides on rails and I live among some of the worst roads around. I ride mostly flat roads, but the few hills is where this bike really shines. There is no shimmy, and that rail feeling persists, though I've had to make a few quick changes(due to varmints on road) and the bike responds with no hesitation. Custom is the way to go and working with John-he is professional, timely, and fantastic-follow his recommendations! This is my third bike from John, and I couldn't believe the bike could get better, but it did. I just hope this doesn't sound too much like a commercial!

Favorite Ride:   Landshar

Purchased At:   direct from John

Similar Products Used:   none of this category, other bikes:
bianchi, trek, cannondale, specialized, marin, kuota,

Bike Setup:   Campy Chorus everything, Record wheelset, classic flite saddle, Ritchey cockpit

Submitted by Tom a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    The combination of comfort, stiffness, and stability.

Weaknesses:    Fear of wrecking it, getting it stolen, or forgetting it on the car top rack when driving into the garage.

Bottom Line:
After reading all the other raves about Land Shark, I wanted to add my kudos to John and his abilities as well. I was VERY luck to find my Land Shark on Ebay. Although I didn't get a custom fit, the bike fits so well that I didn't need to. At over 200lbs and 6'3", getting this large frame was its Dedaccai Extra tubing was a true find. Once acquired, I sent it back to John for a repaint and a pump to match. He was nice enough to add a Chris King headset for a cost I couldn't get elsewhere and he installed it as well. After putting 400 miles on it now I can report it as my official "best" bike. Stability, turning, comfort, looks, everthing puts this bike at the top. I have a custom titanium, a Trek Madone, custom Schwinn Paramount, and a few other bikes in the stable. None ride as sweetly, keep me as comfortable, or turn as many heads as the Land Shark.

Favorite Ride:   Land Shark

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone, Schwinn Paramount, titanium,

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra triple

Submitted by hayduke1972 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    Ride quality is superb, construction is top notch, bottom bracket stiffness is perfect

Weaknesses:    the motor could be stronger ;-)

Bottom Line:
I've wanted a Landshark since my first bike shop job in 1995 in Medford, OR where John was a regular visitor. I finally found one on E-bay that fit my measurements for a bargain. It is one made in the 90's with Reynolds 731OS Race. Brazed with a lugged bottom bracket shell. The oversized downtube makes this frame for me...stiff at the BB but compliant elsewhere. The steel fork is a perfect match as well. I don't know why people bother with carbon forks on steel frames...I've tried it and it doesn't work for me.

Favorite Ride:   Apriary Circuit

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Bertoni Lugged, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Landshark with 731 OS Race.
-Ultegra shifters, dérailleurs, BB, hubs.
-Mavic Open Pro, Wheelsmith DB spokes
-Ritchey Pro compact cranks
-Salsa stem
-TRP brakes

Submitted by iwillchopyou a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Strengths:    Road feel, lively frame, very comfortable ride, custom paint job is truly one of a kind, price for what you get

Weaknesses:    Only one that I can find--little flexy BB.

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for about 9 months and ride about 200 miles per week. Paid $1000 for the frame at gvhbikes.com (great people).
This is so much more of an enjoyable ride than my previous aluminum bike--the difference is amazing. I can ride twice as long before I feel road battered and fatigued. I love how smooth everything feels. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is when really applying maximum force to the pedals, it can feel a little mushy in the BB. I'm thinking of making this my training bike (bought it for racing) and upgrading to a stronger frame for racing (cervelo R3 if my better half allows me). All in all though, I really like this bike--looks, feels lively, and doesn't beat up my body like my old bike does. I also average about 1-2 mph faster (I attribute this to the steel properties, allowing me to more fully relax on bad roads).

Favorite Ride:   local mtn passes

Purchased At:   gvhbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra, spinergy xaero lite wheelset, Chris King headset, Deda stem and handlebars

Submitted by brownlandshark a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    strength, smooth ride, finish

Weaknesses:    none I can see

Bottom Line:
Very very pleased with my new road shark. I went with the zero tube set, fillet brazed with the easton ec 90 carbon fork. This bike is so smooth, very cliche now adays to say, but really. It's plush. I love the way it climbs, and descends mountain roads. John did a wonderful job bringing my dream bike to reality. The paint is BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't think of a nicer frame to own

Favorite Ride:   Mt Baldy, Ca