Leader Bike LD-717R Frames

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The most coveted frame for its value. This frame out-performs many frames that retail for thousands of dollars more. Stiff butted 7005 aluminum construction will be there when you need it on the climbs or in the sprints. Straight tapered seat and chain stays, top and down tube are bi-oval or added stiffness and comfort.

Submitted by hardbernard a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    responsive, zippy, great up climbs, inexpensive frame.

Weaknesses:    Aluminum is unforgiving, friends make fun of you for buying online and for not sticking to more well known brands, but i say who cares.

Bottom Line:

After a tremendous accident while riding my old trek 400, I was in dire need of a new roadie. AFter months of research i decided to purchase and build the leader 717. after the build the difference between my old steel trek and the leader were noticeable, the trek is smoother and you don't feel all the bumps underneath you but the leader, is zippy, responsive, corners well and zipps up climbs. the frame alone weighed in at 3lbs. good deal

Favorite Ride:   long ones

Purchased At:   leader online

Similar Products Used:   concord
trek 40 series (rip magic)

Bike Setup:   Leader 717 frame
Mavic ksyrium equipe in front aksium in rear
campy mirage 9 spd cassette
veloce rear derailleur
centaur front derailleur
cane creek is2 headset
ritchey wcs seatpost and stem
salsa shallow n short bars
fizik bar tape
ultegra crank 53/39
san marko skn saddle

Submitted by michaelsturges@verizon.ne a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2007

Strengths:    Ride quality, Attractive welds, PRICE,PRICE,PRICE. Customer support. Sal will make anything right.

Weaknesses:    Paint is thinner in some spots you do not really see IE, under bottom bracket. I cannot come up with anything else.....sorry.

Bottom Line:
I have several bikes....I enjoy building them as much as riding them. I have some with excellent reputaions and have a pretty good idea of what a well executed frame design should do on the road. I purchased a Leader 717R for fun. I had a groupo left from a frame sale and thought what the heck, this will be an interesting project and all I have to lose is $139.00. What I found was a nicely crafted 7005 frame with excellent road manners for the price. I find myself reaching for this bike moreso than many of my other bikes of much greater value. The ride is not harsh as you would expect from AL, It is not an overtly heavy frame....weight should not always be the end all of selecting a frame. I ride alot of chip and seal pavement and it is superbly suited for that. The carbon fork from leader matches perfectly with a cost of $129.00. My local ride group a puzzled by me riding it so much since they know I have other higher end whips in my stable. I ride it because it feels and handles great. I am planning to build a 736R this summer. If I was forced to keep just two bikes....the leader would be one of them.Cudos to Leader, great product, fantastic price!

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200, Salsa Campeon, Fuji Roubaix PRo ( Reynolds 853) Windsor Falkirk Carbon.

Bike Setup:   105 shfts., 600 brakes, Ritchey stem and post, FSA Gossamer crank. Sram PG-970 12-25 Cass, Sram PG59 chain, Shimano R550 wheels and hubs, FSA Ultimax Carbon/Titanium spindle BB. Profile design Hammer DB bars

Submitted by Robert Neubauer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Great stiff frame, frame was very well made, ready to assemble. The price for such a great frame was a selling factor for me. Welds were smooth and look great.

Weaknesses:    none found so far

Bottom Line:
Just got back into riding again, and wanted to build my own bike. Bought this leader 717 frame on a recommendation from a friend and i couldnt be happier. Nice and stiff, and support my larger frame and weight 6' 2"(220lbs) with no problem.

Favorite Ride:   Gunpowder state park

Purchased At:   leader bikes website

Similar Products Used:   cannondale rd-600

Bike Setup:   nashbar carbon fork, ultegra 10spd drivetrain, duraace shifters, carbon seatpost and handlebar, selle san-marco saddle, look keo's, FSA rd-80 wheelset, michelin x23 tires

Submitted by Serren a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2006

Strengths:    Beautifully shaped tubes producing a beautiful frame (can't stop looking at it). Great color and graphics. Stiff with impecable handling. Cost: $139.00 Yipee!

Weaknesses:    A wee-bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
A beautifully crafted frame from shaped tubes of 7005 Alu. This bike is a blast to ride. Quick, efficient, stiff and handles like a dream. Yes, it allows you to feel the road so it won't be ideal for those century rides however I love the feel of the road under me. After putting roughly 300 miles on it, I can't say enough good about it. It will work great for crit's, road races and to a lesser extent hill climbs.

Favorite Ride:   Zion Canyon (National Park)

Purchased At:   Leader Bikes