Leader Bike LD-785R Frames

4.95/5 (21 Reviews)

Carbon construction yields a road frame that is light, incredibly stiff, but still comfortable for the all day ride. The challenges of every frame builder are lugs. Every joint is a potential weak point as well as extra weight. But the hefty advantages of carbon aluminum seamless construction usually comes with a headache of a price. So here it is, the impossible combination of weight, stiffness, comfort and price.

• Example Size: 56cm
  • Bottom Bracket: 68mm inglish
  • Seatpost: 27.2mm
  • Front Derailleur: 31.8mm Clamp On
  • Heat Treated Double Butted U7 Aluminum
  • Integrated Headtube: I6/cc 1 1/8"

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by captnfantastic a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Strengths:    Predictable handling, good looking paint, smoothed out welds

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest frame ever, but for the price who cares...

Bottom Line:
    I was lucky enough to find this frame on craigslist for like $120, talked the guy down to $50 by pointing out the parts I would need to buy to get it built up (derailleur hanger, headset) From the first ride to every time I ride now, I love this bike. The carbon seat stays are noticeable more comfortable than my all aluminum frames. The handling is snappy. ?I am a sprinter and this thing does not flex at all. If you can get your hands on one I have nothing but good things to say. Carbon bikes have a dead feel to me and I crash too much in races. This is a good bike.

Favorite Ride:   East/West La Habra Heights

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Motobecance Le Champ SL
    Giant TCR

Bike Setup:   Ritchey everything, Ultegra everything else. Powertap on Velocity aeroheads on Kenda tires.

Submitted by bilzee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, price, looks, stiffness. In this price range it is hard to beat this bike. Colorado Cyclist has a Douglass that is very similar. My buddy has one and loves it. Maybe I will look into it as a replacement. Looked good on Saturday morning group rides even among more expensive and fancy bikes.

Weaknesses:    Fork wasn't as well balanced as I would have liked. I had to carefully seat wheel to prevent wheel rub.

Bottom Line:
    Stunning beauty out of the shipping box. Not extremely fancy but what do you expect for the price. Hot Ferrari red paint job. Extremely light for the price. Weighed under 17 pounds built with full ultegra. Must have been nice seeing as someone stole it last week. I really enjoyed the bike. I was riding an a full aluminum bike before this one so the carbon really softened the ride. Descents were amazing, climbing was good but I don't enjoy the climb as much as the down hill. As I get older I can afford something nicer but have found I don't have as much time to spend on my bike. My only regret is not upgrading the wheels and giving it a go. I am looking at replacing it with a Giant TCR Advanced or Scott Addict or CR1. Right now I am really digging on the BH G4 but have kids I still have to put through college.

Favorite Ride:   highway 94 out of Colorado Springs and back

Purchased At:   Ebay Store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez with 105 groupset
    Old School Schwinn with downtube shifters

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra with Bontrager Race X-lites. Deda stem and handle bars. Leader fork and seat post. Sella Italia Flight saddle. Michelin Pro 2 Race tires, red to match the bike.

Submitted by Josh Christian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, Comfy, fast

Weaknesses:    None , nada ....Zip!

Bottom Line:
    I bought a Leader Aluminum 58 cm for it's components. It was an all Ultegra 9 spd, Rolf vector pros, Easton carbon seat post and bars..Deeda elite etc,etc,etc...the bike also had some cheesy aero bars and a wireless computer(nice) But I was intent on building up a Fetish frame that I had come into from a friend... I only paid 500.00 for the whole rig. when I got it I jumped on it and right away was knocked out by this 3 year old frame, the build the ride... the quality?????? I sold the fetish frame and bought the discontinued 785r for 389.00, they still have a couple left as of the time I'm wring this... re wrapped the bars, threw on my speedplays, and haven't looked back.
    I see people saying "for the money" I would put this multi material frame up against any Trek, Cannon, Felt or Specialized...at any price. Very comfortable, very light (2.8lbs) super responsive,..acceleration? not to mention it looks deadly!
    unbelievable deal, the nicest people in the world to deal with and a price that leaves me plenty of change for power bars and gummy bears...
    is it a Merlin or Pinarello? No of course not.. but at just under 900.00 I have the nicest rain bike of anyone I know..
    Keep it Rubber side down

Favorite Ride:   kings highway westchester NY

Purchased At:   Leader store

Similar Products Used:   Basso full carbon
    Merlin, Cervello...

Submitted by Chris a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Strengths:    Quality of ride
    Looks
    Price!

Weaknesses:    Not enough weekends in the year

Bottom Line:
    This bike was my first road bike, so I can't properly compare it to other models; however, I have been commuting almost daily in all weather on it for almost 2 years now, and I love this bike. When I manage to get away for a long rec ride, it has allowed me to keep up with my friends who race on their (much) more expensive Treks and Canondales. A very steady, comfortable ride that is extremely responsive to the effort you put into the pedals.

Favorite Ride:   Beautiful Clemson, SC