Home | Reviews | Frames | Look

Look 586 Frames

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

• Carbon Type - VHM (Very High Modulus)
• Fork - HSC6, Meets the new standard EN14781 safety requirements
• Lugs - None - Single Piece Construction
• Bottom Bracket - BSA 68mm width
• Ft Derailleur - Braze On
• Seatpost - Integrated E-Post
• Headset - Integrated 1-1/8" upper and 1-1/4" lower Sealed bearings
• Dropouts - Compressed carbon, replaceable aluminium derailleur hanger
• Weight - 940g (Small with uncut seat tube)
• Weight of fork 340g

Submitted by bmxhacksaw a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Sexy, light, fast, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The motor sucks

Bottom Line:
I found a 585 R-Light Limited Edition new in the box on eBay. It came equipped with SRAM Red and Zipp 303 carbon tubular wheels. After receiving the bike and opening box I was surprised to find that it came with Look Keo Carbon Ti pedals and that there wasn't a skimpy part on the bike. The E-post is the top of the line model with titanium hardware. The shifter cables are Gore Ride on, the seat is a 125g Selle Italia SLR Carbino. The completed bike (size M) weighs in at 14.04 lbs./6.3kg with pedals and water bottle cages. The front end is very stiff and it feels like all of your power is getting transmitted to the rear wheel. My only beef with the bike is that the Red cassette is noisy and the LOOK bar tape is plasticy.

Purchased At:   World Champion Tradi

Submitted by mrtim a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, clean lines and trusted manufacture history.

Very solid front end makes it controlled when descending on rougher chip&seal roads.

Headfit headset is a nice feature, has been reliable on the 595 I have used for around 20k kms

Weaknesses:    Soft in the bb area (175lb/6ft). Some cable noise within the top tube for the rear brake. The ISP is a good feature but it limits resale.
Frame geos are similiar to the 595 but less sloping on the top tube which makes for a more traditional look. Odd appearance when your used to seeing a 595.

Bottom Line:
Tried the 586 having come from 595. Other rides include steel colnago, alu colnago & alu/carbon deda trainer.

Generally the 586 is solid up front but soft under acceleration in back. The frame construction has limitations on out and out stiffness which become apparent when climbing out of the saddle or putting in big efforts on the flat or in sprints.

Seems to be a long ride / recreational type of frame rather than something you'd take racing where you didn't want to be loosing energy with the bb moving all over the place. Doesn't fit into the line up of the Look frames very well IMO as that is what the 585 is marketed as doing..

I read a write up of the 586 before buying which said the front end was mis-matched to the rear - solid front end but dithering in the rear. Coming from a 595, I would have to agree - the back end is just too soft when read into the stiffness offered by the headtube & fork. I guess if your >70kg you might not notice the lack of stiffness in the bb.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   bike meet

Similar Products Used:   595 Origin.

Bike Setup:   Campag SR, Ritchey carbon bars, pro matrix stem, ee brakes mk2, various wheels - training wheels principally record/open pro ceramics/pro3.

Submitted by xyz58 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    power transfer, cornering, climbing, comfort on long rides over rough road

Weaknesses:    None for me so far. Will report back if I experience any disappointments.

Bottom Line:
58 yrs old, 5'11, 157 lbs. Do a few road races, a lot of club rides and a few organized metric & full centuries. Have been on a Litespeed Tuscany (Dura Ace conventional, Ksyzium SL) for 4 1/2 years and about 25k miles. The Litespeed is a great bike but I had the itch to try a different ride. Considered several brands but kept commng back to Look, probably because we have a great local dealer. Considered the Look 595, opted for the 586 based on recommendation of LBS (ex pro) and recommndation of a friend & very strong climber who recently switched to the 586. The 586 saw 238 miles in 4 rides with about 10k of climbing in it's 1st 8 days. Rides were our normal routes & conditions - rough chip seal, a short fast flat route, a 60 mi fast flat ride with a lot 90 degree turns, the "wall" with 1.5 mi of steep 12% plus grade, long 4% -8% climbs, tricky conering descents, and a 98 mile Century with lots of rollers & some rough road. My comments are relative to the Litespeed & certainly very subjective since I have no experience with carbon frames other than short test rides: The Look 586 is very comfortable & smooth, great road feel. Plenty stiff for me with good horizontal compliance on rough roads. Solid road feel without excessive vibration, not "twitchie" but solid, positive control. The 586 power transfer is very responsive on climbs and the rare out of saddle sprints this old body can do. For me, this bike is perfect for getting out of he saddle and hammering over the top of rollers and powering through long climbs. The cornering is unbelievable, the 586 tracks so easily and feels really safe on corners that used to have me on the brakes and fighing to hold a line - no more getting dropped on fast cornerig descents. Only reservation about this bike build is the compact, I'll give it a couple months and perhaps switch back to a convenional. I've heard SRAM has a 53 x 36 and will research as an option. Hed wheels may be adding to the cornering & smooth road feel, I'll eventualy put on the Ksyzuim's for a comparison. The Look (black & white) is a nice clean bike with exceptional "fit & finish" but my wife's Orbea Dive still got all the comments on the Century ride. Appeaance is a plus but I wanted road feel, cornering & the feel of speed & responsive power transfer -the Look 586 exceeds my expectations in these areas.

Favorite Ride:   any long climbing ride

Purchased At:   LBS - our team/club

Similar Products Used:   A few test rides but no significant mileage on other carbon frames, 25k on Ti, many miles on Al.

Bike Setup:   SRAM RED compact - the double tap system is pretty cool but took about 40 miles to figure out. Hed Ardennes FR C2, 3T carbon bars & stem. Fizik Arione carbon seat. Look Keo 2 Max carbon pedals..

Submitted by gernika a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    smooth, responsive, stable, light, looks great

Weaknesses:    on rough road, the internally routed brake cable rattles (minor compared to strengths)

Bottom Line:
After spending many-an-hour reading reviews on Look bicycles, I finally pulled the trigger on the 586. Couldn't be happier! My primary criteria for a new bike was:

1. stable on descents
2. comfortable on long rides
3. good climber

This bike fits the bill on all three. For those who are cautious on steep descents, the 586 will help your confidence. Every mile of a long ride is pleasurable and there's a bit of sadness at the end because the ride is over. Being light and stiff, it's a great climbing machine. Performance aside, it does have a high wow factor in the looks department; I've gotten several compliments on the road.

Two thumbs up!!!

Favorite Ride:   The one I'm on at the time

Similar Products Used:   specialized roubaix

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6700, Easton EA90 slx, FSA K-wing compact, FSA carbon stem, Fizik Arione CX

Submitted by tk2 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, Fast, Light, Beautiful....
The integrated seat mast system is unique. It gives you the benefit of integration with some flexibility to raise and lower the saddle with spacers.

Weaknesses:    There are lighter frames out there and probably stiffer ones. If you are a true crit specialist you may want a bone shattering stiff frame, but if you are looking for a frame that will perform across multiple disciplines and perform well, this is the one.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2009 look team frame just over a year ago. I built it up with mostly new components 7900 Dura ace drive train and Zipp Cranks. However, I did use some of my existing components such as the zipp 303 wheels. During the last year I have put this machine through a little bit of everything (some of it not by choice). It has seen Rain, Snow, Dirt and Wind and it has also been used on all types of terrain...hills, mountains, flats, rollers and crits. The bottom line is that I absolutely love this frame. My strengths are more in the mountains and I enjoy longer road races. This frame fits the bill perfectly for me. It is stiff and light yet just forgiving enough for a 5-6 hour (or longer) race.

The bottom bracket area is a bit deceiving when you first look at it. Compared to the trend of other frames the bottom bracket area seems small. Many other frame manufacturers tout the beefiness of their bottom bracket areas and corresponding stiffness. While the bottom bracket area on the Look seems small it feels very stiff and responsive. Part of that feel may be due to the Zipp Cranks as they are also very stiff and responsive, but that is another story.

The frame is beautifully constructed. One thing that drew me to this frame was that it is one piece (non-lugged). I know some love lugged frames and Look makes some good ones, but lugged carbon frames just seem like the manufacturer didn't know how to use carbon effectively so they lugged it like they would do with other materials. From a distance the tubing looks fairly simple, but up close you can see that every tube is highly manipulated. This results in elegant, yet simple styling.