Home | Reviews | Frames | Look

Look KG486 Frames

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

• HM carbon tubes
  • HM (high module) carbon fibers give a lighter frame with outstanding performance
  • Integrated headset
  • Increases the lateral rigidity of the head tube, making steering much more precise, and giving greater stability in turns and at high speed
  • Evolusize
  • Better progressive slope on small sizes (65 cm) than on large sizes (non-sloping geometry from size 57 onwards)

Submitted by Bernardino Adao a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    The painting job and the design.

Weaknesses:    Too expensive and poor engineering.

Bottom Line:
I bought the all black version in 2006. At that time it was the top frame of the brand. It is a heavy frame when compared with other carbon frames, about 1500 grams, plus another 380 grams for the fork, but it is beautiful. After about three and half years it developed a crack on the top of the head tube, even though I never let it drop or had any accident with it. I went to the local store where I bought it and was told the warranty was 3 years and that they could not do anything for me. I am really very upset with both the local store, Veloprof, and with the brand LOOK.

Purchased At:   Veloprof

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone, BH G3, Giant TCR and Bianchi 928,

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 7800, Mavic Ksyrium, ITM Sword Stem and Handlebar, Look Ti Seat post, Fizik and Aliante Carbon Saddle

Submitted by RickNVA a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Very smooth, stable, and an efficient energy conversion machine... I won't see myself coming and going, like so many Trek owners do, and there are not many bikes that can hold a candle to it's pretty face...

Weaknesses:    The frame is something of a sail and is subject to strong cross-winds... As Jan once said, I was skating like Katarina Witt!! Holy Smoke -- too much excitement when descending very large hills...

Bottom Line:
I had been lusting after a Look KG486 for quite some time, when I had an opportunity to pick up a new frame for not a lot of cash... It took me another twelve months to buy all the requisite components to turn it into the bike I have today...

The reviews all comment on the weight of the frame, but as I am 187-lbs I figured a few hundred grams were not going to influence my cycling fun a whole lot. Besides, I believed (and correctly so) that the lateral stiffness of the frame might more than overcome the added weight 'penalty'.

I've ridden three > 50 mile rides, over some significant hills/mountains, and I am more than pleased with the efficiency of the frameset... It does seem as if all cranking energy is converted to forward speed. My other bike is a Salsa Campeon, and the Look seems to climb better. Interestingly enough, when equipped with virtually the same group, the Look is almost 1-1/2 lb lighter than the SC/AL Salsa... Where the 486 really shines is smoothness, and is this baby ever smooth!! it almost feels slower because it is so silky, but I know it isn't...

Favorite Ride:   Skyline Drive, VA

Purchased At:   Private Party Transa

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Campeon, Lemond Zurich

Bike Setup:   2004 KG486
Dura Ace all around (I converted back from a compact R700 crankset)
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL
Specialized Seat Post
Thomson Stem
Crank Bros Quattro Pedals
Terry Zero Y seat
12-27 cassette... (for hills, hills and more hills)
ITM Wing Bars (AL)

Submitted by Calder a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, shaping, stiffness, responsivness, speed, wow-factor and absolutely amazing power transfer

Weaknesses:    Tight geometry, so not a super comfortable century bike burt not bad. Heavier than the 585, but also a lot more aerodynamic. The responsivness requires a lot more attention than on other bikes, turn even slightly and the bike will follow. But for snappy response and sharp artistic good looks...it can't be beat!

Bottom Line:
Looks, stiffness, aerodynamics and lightweight. Snapy, tight, and fast as anything. Super (if not slightly to...)responsive in turns. Great for racing, TT, Crits, Tri. I bought this becuase I wanted soemthing light but with a bit more aerodynamics. I sacrificed a bit of weight for the shaped tubing and aero profile, but less than on other manufactureers aero fram styles. Built up with a super lightweight combo of FSA, Dura Ace and Mavic, ut looks amazing and soars uphills and in the flats.

Favorite Ride:   Little Cottonwood Canyon, Snowbird Utah