Moots Cycles Vamoots Compact Frames

• Sloping frame - frame size and top tube are virtual measurements
  • Light, Stiff for performance and comfort

Submitted by William Oldham a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    Workmanship, attention to detail, overall ride quality. Value, this frame will not lose it's ride quality over time.

Weaknesses:    It's too bad this frame has been around for many years. It doesn't get the coverage that it deserves.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden the Moots for over a year now (3,000 mile) and am quite happy with it. I sold a Cervelo r3 to purchase the Moots, very good decision. The Moots won't climb like the r3 nor ride as smooth as my c40 but for my type of riding is the right mix of comfort and performance. The handling is extremely predictable, not as quick (twitchey?) as the r3, not as 'lazy' as the c40, for me, just right. Generally, I don't feel comfortable riding hands free but with the Moots, no problem at all.

Favorite Ride:   ute pas

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo r3, Colnago c40, Scott cr1, Serotta Legend, Trek Madone, etc.

Bike Setup:   Sram Force, ceramic b/b Superfly, dt Swiss custom clinchers, tubulars

Submitted by oliver a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2009

Strengths:    A complete race bike that will you will grow old with.

Weaknesses:    They don't give them away.

Bottom Line:
This is my twelfth bike and by far and out my most favourite bike . Some of my previous bikes Scott team issue, Casati Scandium, Litespeed Classic early 90s, Merlin extralight compact 2004 model etc.
As you can see i have ridden on almost all materials and ti is still my favourite.
The Moots combines everything into one harmonious package. Its very stiff. I had mine designed with oversized stays at the rear triangle which make it ideal for sprinting. The ride is extremely smooth, although not as smooth as my Scott which I think is benchmark in that area. The build and finish is without equal. You have too see it in person to appreciate the artisan weld quality.
This bike makes a perfect race bike which you will have for years to come, unlike a lot of Taiwanese carbon 2 race season jobs.
Overall, this is a bike that does everything so well. An investment for the long term.

Favorite Ride:   Bright Victoria

Purchased At:   Importer

Similar Products Used:   Early 90s litespeed classic which i did 5 road seasons on. Flexy buy today's standards but i had fun on at the time did about 70k on it. Merlin extralight compact 2004 was a very nice bike but quite flexy. If i started from a big gear at the traffic lights the rear break would rub the rim.

Bike Setup:   7800 Dura Ace
Thompson stem and post.
Ksyrium Sl.
San Marco Zoncola saddle (a truly revelation).
Itm classic bars. (Ergos really suck)
Dura Ace pedals (former speedplays cro mo)

Submitted by chiup01 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    It climbs like a dream. Incredible workmanship with world class performance. Looks great, but not flashy. If it is a car it would be a BMW M3.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than carbon fiber. Not as stiff as some carbon fiber frames. Steering a little "fast."

Bottom Line:
This review is for the regular Compact, non-custom geometry frame. My previous ride was a Cervelo R2.5, which was one of the nicest frames that I have ever ridden. It had a perfect combination of comfort, lightweight, and stiffness that I had experienced since then. It, unfortunately, was damaged during shipping and I had to look for a new bike. After looking at multiple bikes, mostly carbon fiber, I ended up with the Moots.

It was the last bike I tested, and I immediately fell in love with it. Now that it's built up, I have to say it rides even better than the test model. I'm a 145lbs rider, so not a clyde by any means. The best thing I can say about this frame is that it is smooth. Compared to the R2.5 (which I had thought was very smooth for a stiff CF racing frame), the Moots dampens the road even more and is very comfortable after many miles. There is no noticible flex during out of the saddle efforts for me. It may not feel as "immediate" as the R2.5, but it is not a slow frame by any means. The steering feels a little quicker and slightly less stable than the R2.5, but nothing hair raising.

Climbing, for me, is where this bike excels. The complete bike, with the upgraded Rolf Prima Elan Aero wheels, weighs roughly the same as the R2.5 with otherwise the same components and tires, which is around 15.5 lbs. Despite weighing roughly the same, I am much happier climbing with this bike. I experience less fatigue, stay on the saddle longer, and can crank a larger gear. I don't know why. It may be the new wheels, but I don't think that accounts for most of the difference. This bike just makes me wish that I live at the bottom of a big mountain, or at least in an area with nice rolling hills.

The workmanship, as usual, is impeccable, and second to none. There is just something about the color and feel of the titanium from Moots that other Ti bikes from Seven, Merlin, just can't match. But that's just a matter of personal opinion.

Bottom line is that at this price range you can have most of the exotic frames out there, and this is definitely one of check out if it appeals to you.

Favorite Ride:   Griffith Park Loop

Purchased At:   Bicycle John's, Burb

Similar Products Used:   Owned: Cervelo R2.5, Masi Nuova Strada (steel).

Test Rode: Cervelo R3, Seven Axiom, BMC Team Machine, Orbea Orca, Kestrel Evoke.

Bike Setup:   Moots Compact 53.5 frame
Full Dura Ace 10 components
Reynolds Ouzo Pro Lite fork
Rolf Prima Elan Aero wheelset
Moots laid back seat post
FSA carbon stem
Selle Italia SLR titanium saddles
Continental GP Attack/Force tires

Submitted by alienator a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    Workmanship
Geometry (for me)
Quality of ride feel
No loud decals or paint

Weaknesses:    I couldn't afford the Compact SL
My legs

Bottom Line:
First things first: 1. It's a Moots Compact, NOT a Moots Vamoots Compact. 2. Need more options for "how long you used product." 3. Rating scales from 1 to 5 are lousy. Make it 1 to 10 or add half points, please.

Now the bike. Mine is a 57.5 cm Compact, and I've had for a touch over two months and a little over 1000 miles. Now when I read reviews, and I read words like "bulletproof", "bombproof", or phrases like "climbs like a goat", "accelerates on its own", "descends like it's on rails"....well, I ignore those reviews cuz they're less than objective. The best way I can describe my Compact is that it works well, does what I want, and is an evolutionary improvement over my last bike, a Waterford Paramount.

The Compact takes the edge off bumps, but not so they disappear.....just the way I would like it, since it's nice to have some road feel. It feels adequately lively when I pedal hard. Descending, it's stable and lively to the point of not quite being nervous. I like this since it makes a mid-turn line change go better. However there are no wobbles, at least not for my 178lb corpus.

Overall comfort is better than on the Paramount. A 114 mile ride on the Compact left me feeling better than any 50-60 mile ride on the Paramount. Granted, some of this is due to fit changes I needed (I had the Paramount for 13 years, and my body had changed); however, the Moots just feels a bit more comfortable over the long haul.

The craftsmanship used on the frame is about as good as it gets, I think. The welds are just as beautiful as people say, and alignment was dead on. No facing was needed on the BB or HT. It's a doddle to clean, but to be honest, I like the bike showin' a little grease or dirt. I mean, I ride thing: it's not a museum piece. It's not a flashy bike, but I don't think well crafted tools are flashy. They look purposeful, and that's the way this frame looks.

Frame is none too heavy either. Currently the whole bike weighs 16.4 lbs, including the overly weighty Bontrager wheels and the FSA crank. Those are being replace, so the whole tamale will end up under 16 lbs, with no sacrifices made to durability or everyday useability.

Favorite Ride:   Gates Pass and my bike

Purchased At:   Arizona Bicycle Expe

Similar Products Used:   Waterford Paramount OS
Raleigh something or other from the late 80's
Red Huffy three speed with a white banana seat w/ black stripe down the center and a big black ball on the shifter
.....I don't go through a lot of bikes. Me own them longtime.

Bike Setup:   57.5 cm Moots Compact
Michelin A1 tubes
Polar CS200CAD

Submitted by supafreak a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    Performance
Nice Value
Details are meticulous
Ride quality is unbeatable
Durability of titanium

Weaknesses:    ZILCH.
ZERO.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding quality titanium, meticulous welds, precise design, fun to ride, responsive, compliant, agile and stable performer. Oversize tube shapes serve a purpose.
Test rode a Serotta Legend Ti ST and Seven Axiom. I greatly prefer the ride quality of Moots VaMoots Compact. Smoother than Axiom and more responsive than Serotta Ti with carbon stays. This is a wonderful bike with zero compromises. VaMoots does everything extremely well...descend, climb, sprint, corner at speed and provides nice comfort for 100+ mile days.

Favorite Ride:   Col de Peyresourde- France