Moots Cycles Vamoots SL Frames

Light, Stiff for performance and comfort.

Submitted by scottg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    Very precise handling with the Easton EC90 fork and Chris King headset. It can almost read your mind - just think "turn." Then pick the EXACT line you wish.

Climbs very well standing or seated. No flex in the bottom bracket - at all. My bike has the FSA Carbon compact crankset and Campy 10 speed.

Descends like a thoroughbred racing machine. Very confidence inspiring on downhills.

Outstanding build quality, above every other Ti bike I have seen.

Excellent weight, my whole bike comes in at 16.5 lbs without pedals, including Fizik Aliante and all Ritchey WCS stem, seatpost, and bars.

Sprints very well.

Weaknesses:    If I had found one I would not have bought it, since there is so much competition in this price range. I did pay extra for a custom fit, which most of the other bikes I considered did not offer.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the standard Vamoots not the SL. After setting a goal of building my dream bike(a big deal to me), I decided to swing my leg over a Vamoots at Vecchio's here in Boulder. I was pretty tired of the titanium look, and I see so many of them here, I thought I was looking at another flexy Ti bike. Vecchio's made it so easy and stress free for me to try it though, and Peter Chisolm encouraged me to make it a long ride, and give the bike a fair shake. So I took it up a nearby climb and then one of the lung busting climbs here - Flagstaff. It's a a real test of the climbing and descending a bike and rider can do - with sections that are 15% grade (according to local ride books). On my first switchback on the way down I was hooked. As I got back to town I did several sprints and it was perfect. I started out looking for flaws with it so I could discount it and move on, but just could not find any. By the time I returned 1.5 hours later I was convinced I had to have that bike. After a professional fit at Vecchio's I decided to order a custom Vamoots. Moots built the frame in about 5 weeks. It was well worth the wait. Vecchio's build quality and attention to detail was excellent by the way. I would recommend them to anyone.

Favorite Ride:   Lee Hill