Paketa Bikes Magnesium Frames

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

* Paketa's robust carbon fork with 1 1/8" carbon steerer tube for razor-sharp corning and descending * FRM C-Set sealed bearing headset (installed) * Seatpost clamp; special offset design for carbon seatposts * Bottom Bracket shell faced and chased, ready for build-up! * Replaceable aluminum rear derailleur hanger

Submitted by bigsprinter a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Very stiff. I got mine built custom with beefier top tube, seat tube and stays as I'm a 190 pound sprinter. Very stout frame yet is very compliant. No rear wheel chatter in corners like similarly stiff aluminum or carbon frames. Durable thus far--I know they've had some issues with their welds in the past, but mine withstood a CATIV wreck that definitely would have dented my old Scandium frame or cracked a lot of flyweight carbon frames. The Mag tubes are thicker than aluminum and thus more impact resistant. Custom geometry is something not possible with most carbon, and the finish work on the bike was amazing!

Weaknesses:    Could be a bit lighter, but that likely would sacrifice some durability. A bit spendy considering weight but not when you look at the fact that the frame is fully made to my spec's and hand-built here in Colorado. 3 year warranty could be longer given the claimed durability of magnesium.

Bottom Line:
Stiff, reasonably light, durable, wonderful ride quality. A great weekend-warrior racer's bike (for those of us that don't have a car full of free replacement frames waiting for us in case we wreck one of them)

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale aluminum, Klein Aura, Salsa Campeon, Trek Madone

Bike Setup:   Paketa custom Magnesium with Easton EC90 SL fork and full SRAM Force. Williams Cycling Wheel System 30 wheels. FSA alloy cockpit and carbon seatpost. Fizik Arione saddle.

Submitted by firebexar a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    Quick
Superlight

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a little twitchy, so not for beginners

Bottom Line:
I got my Paketa frame after the Pro Peloton team disbanded

I also own a top of the line carbon Trigon, Omega Alchemy (titanium), and Velo Vie TT bike. Obviously, I prefer boutique manufacturers to looking like a lemming. No slam, just my style.

The Paketa is the fastest bike I've ever ridden. Period. While not as "plush" as carbon, it is stiffer, yet oddly compliant, too. Off the mark and on ascents, you probably won't find a snappier ride. I adore this bike.

Favorite Ride:   It's all good, baby

Look Keo peddles
FSA carbon seatpost

Submitted by bike_cp a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    Ride and build quality

Weaknesses:    They crack

Bottom Line:
The good thing about these frames is the ride...like a good steel frame with the weight of Aluminium or Carbon Fiber. Can't say enough about the ride quality. The bad thing is that they seem prone to cracking. I've cracked three of these so far. I'm a bigger rider (205 lbs and 6'4") so that has alot to do with it no doubt. If you are a lighter rider you probably won't have any trouble. The first one cracked at the junction of the seat and top tubes. Paketa replaced it immediately. On the second one, the right chain stay broke off at the bottom bracket. That one was also replaced. The latest frame was beefed up a bit...gussets at the chain stays and under the down tube. It cracked in two places...where the seat tube is welded to the BB and at the intersection of the top and seat tubes again. I don't know how the latest will turn out as it's been almost a year since I received this frame. I know that I will not be riding Mg again. Back to steel or carbon for me.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Paketa Direct

Similar Products Used:   Steel, Al, Carbon

Bike Setup:   All Campy

Submitted by ktruddick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Strengths:    Stiffness, responsive, comfotable (feels grounded) and light weight.

Weaknesses:    ?????

Bottom Line:
I have been cycling/racing for 13 years. Racing steel/alluminum/ and carbon, the past year I was racing on a Magnesium Paketa which has convinced me that mg is the future of cycling. The Paketa is as stiff as any cabon but, carries the comfort of any steel ride. By far the most complete ride ever experienced! Paketa is the future.

Favorite Ride:   Paketa Magnesium

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Pro Peloton Boulder,

Similar Products Used:   First ever Magnesum built bike!
I have riden carbon, alluminum, and custom steel.

Pinarello Dogma magnesium fp compared to new bikes?

Hi Pinarello fans! I have an opportunity to buy a Dogma Fp magnesium. Its NOT the FPX version but the version before with the MOST bottom bracket. I'm curious to know if anyones ridden one before and how they possibly compare to the newer bikes. I know its obviously heavier than the latest carbon ... Read More »

American Classic Magnesium clincher

American Classic is getting ready to release the 2012 mag clinchers. Wondering what you guys think of a magnesium wheel. Looks to be a nice light climbing wheel.Read More »

Magnesium chloride tip

I only know for sure of Colorado's love affair with mag-chloride, the ice melt miracle. It eats aluminum for breakfast. It eats all kinds of metal but it really likes aluminum. If it is used where you live remove it immediately after a wet ride and use cold water to do it. Warm water activates it an ... Read More »