Pinarello Prince SL Frames

• Down tube cable stops
  • Two bottle mounts

Submitted by tvthebiker a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff/comfortable. Corners well at high speeds.

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is extremely fast and stable not to mention comfortable.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   LOOK 585, Trek Madone

Bike Setup:   Campy Record, Ksyrium SL's FSA Plasma Bar

Submitted by Bozmania a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Strengths:    Very responsive bike, Clean lines, very comfortable. Takes corners really well.Very stable on decents.

Weaknesses:    Seatpost parts and clamps for Pinarello can be hard to get if they are down.

Bottom Line:
This bike is terrific Ive' had Four Pinarellos. Two Prince Frames, Two Prince Sl. This bike handles and responds like a dream. The Prince series is bike that is very reponsive when accelerating up climbs, and sprints excellent cornering.
This is my dream bike. The carbon stays with the ONDA Fork and Onda stays definitely Absorb more than the previous Vola carbon from Pinarello. The Fork takes a little getting used to when looking down from the handlebars but has no effect on the handling. The 2002 models did have some problems with The clearcoat coming off but Pinarello took care of that no problem for me. The 2003-04 models have not had that problem.Atleast with mine, I have not. I ride 250miles to 300miles and no problems. Headsets need to be watched as any Sealed bearings should be, The integrated headset needs to be checked for smoothness.(Campagnolo headset) I did 10,736 miles in 2003, And the Prince Sl was still great. The seat post changes every year because of changes to make bike lighter.
Pinarello has been doing bicycles longer then Any American company, So they have a better idea of what a bike should be.

Favorite Ride:   Ward's Ferry, Tulomne

Purchased At:   Competitve Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Caad4 custom, Bianchi, Schwinn Paramount, Giant Tcr

Bike Setup:   Pinarello Prince Sl, Campagnolo Record, Euros wheels, Scirroco Wheels

Submitted by jd124 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2004

Strengths:    Handling - awesome at high speed cornering and very stable at high speed descending (I've had it up to 65mph)
Sprinting - quite stiff
Looks cool

Weaknesses:    High price

Bottom Line:
I initially didn't like this bike. It felt too stiff and harsh - probably because I had just come from riding a Richard Sachs steel frame (I was so disappointed to have to give that frame back to my team). But, after a few months, the handling characteristics of the bike really won me over. If I take my hands off the bars even at high speeds the bike tracks incredibly well and straight. I find I can usually corner inside of anyone else in crits on it.
I haven't had the paint problems that another reviewer has had, but I didn't get headtube protectors on it soon enough and the paint has worn away from cables rubbing.
In general, I'm quite pleased with the frame/fork/seatpost/headset. I'd recommend it to others.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in western Virginia

Purchased At:   http://www.lanterner

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Aegis, Litespeed, Richard Sachs

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 9-spd w. American Classic carbon wheels

Submitted by Leeroy996 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    I have a Cinquanta. The Prince SL now feels very average.

Weaknesses:    Poor Pinarello service. I sent a lengthy e-mail to them pleading to help me out. I live in the Bahamas and sending things away is costly and time consuming. "They don't care"
This is supposed to be a premium product. I no longer recommend this bike for recreational riders or racers.

Bottom Line:
Buying a Pinarello has been a disaster. I really wanted somthing unique and Italian. I purchased this frame after sending my Prince away on Warranty. The Prince took 6 months to return and they sent the wrong size (I swapped it for a TCR composite for my girlfriend)
Well, the SL now has paint problems. The decals are coming off the top tube and the frame is rusting around the brake guides. My dealers personal bike has the same problem. Pinarello want me to send the bike to Italy, even though they know this is the second bike I have had problems with. Wait 6 months - forget it.

Purchased At:   Downtown Bicycles Fl