Salsa Cycles Campeon Frames

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

• Bottom bracket: 68mm
  • 130mm rear spacing
  • Integrated headset compatible with Cane Creek IS-6 1-1/8" headset 41.0mm head tube I.D.
  • Seatpost: 31.6mm; Seatpost clamp: 34.9mm
  • Front derailluer clamp: 34.9mm
  • Includes Salsa Lip-Lock seat collar and Salsa carbon fork with alloy steerer

Submitted by bigsprinter a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    Light. Stiff. Very comfortable/compliant relative to aluminum and even some carbon frames. Extended head tube improves the fit and better supports the carbon steerer tube.

Far more affordable than other Scandium frames (Ridley, Merckx)

Weaknesses:    Like other superlight aluminum frames, the wall thicknesses are very thin; as such, don't expect the frame to survive a hard crash or other abuse, it will dent.

Mine is a 2004, I also found the 31.8 seat tube to cause the seat collar to rub the inside of my thigh. Wouldn't be an issue on a compact frame (like the 2007 campeon is going to be) or maybe on newer frames (they went to a 27.2 seatpost).

I'm a bigger guy, and the steerer tube on this frame is a bit noodly. Interesting, because the fork blades seem plenty stiff, but the steerer tube is too flexible relative to other forks.

May not be an issue for a lighter rider.

Bottom Line:
Believe the hype--Scandium--At least this scandium bike--is as stiff as normal aluminum yet far more compliant.

Favorite Ride:   Anything Flat

Purchased At:   Pro Deal

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale CAAD-whatever, Klein.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/Dura Ace/FSA/Thomson/Bontrager wheels and carbon seatpost

Submitted by kelohn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2006

Strengths:    Great sprinting, climbing all around bike for those who want to go fast.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
My campeon is awesome - I have been racing on it for over 3 years - I actually got one of the first frames in my size - a prototype at the time - 47cm. Love the feel of how springy and zippy the bike is - it is very responsive during a sprint so that I'm able to beat the pack out of the corners.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Geneva

Purchased At:   Directly from Salsa

Similar Products Used:   Moto Rapido Salsa MTB - Salsa Rocks!

Bike Setup:   FSA Carbon Compact Crank, the rest Ultegra, Zipp 404's when racing

Submitted by Gary a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2006

Strengths:    Many! after 500 miles.

Weaknesses:    Afraid to scratch that paint job.

Bottom Line:
This frameset is excellent. It climbs,descends,corners,is stable and rides better than the aluminum and steel frames I've tried. (I can't comment on Ti or all carbon). The confidence while descending at 50 mph is great! A bonus is the beautiful red and black paint design. It just plain hooks up with the road!

Favorite Ride:   Knox- Dickenson

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R800HS,Lotus, older steel frame bikes.

Bike Setup:   Straight bar cutdown titec ti with mountain stem and shorty climbing bars (mounted inboard). 105/ultegra/sram/richey gs drive train 11/30 with Cane creek brs200 brakes/sram levers. FSA Kforce 170mm carbon crank with 53/38 chainrings. Korso rims with veloflex tires and michelin lite tubes. Tomac seatpost with vetta trishock seat.Bike weighs 17.5# with spd pedals. (it could be lighter with $)Size 52cm.

Submitted by telescorpio a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    Climbing, sprinting. Price, looks, and finish.

Weaknesses:    31.6mm seatpost makes it hard to find a front derailleur. I'm a little worried about the integrated headset design, but, only time will tell. Sometimes the fork (carbon steerer) seems a bit flexy when climbing out of the saddle. (I'm about 180lbs.) Welds are big.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to build up a light, strong, stiff (yet compliant) road rig. Oh, and do so without breaking the bank.
Enter the Salsa Campeon. Got a great deal on a closeout from Excel Boulder Sports, put on an Ultegra 10spd drivetrain plus some excellent Truvativ cranks/BB and a pair of Easton Orion II wheels. My 60cm ride built up around 18lbs.

This thing rides like a dream. Energy tranfer is nearly zero-loss. Every bit of extra effort I put into the pedals gets converted into forward momentum. The BB is Stiff with a capital S. But, the carbon seatstays (and maybe the Scandium tubing and my carbon seatpost) really do absorb a ton of road chatter. There's hardly any vibration in the bike and it is comfortable on long rides.

Fast, powerful, agile. I'm looking into a Salsa El Santo mountain bike next.

Purchased At:   Excel Boulder Sports

Similar Products Used:   old 80's aluminum Vitus.
C-Dale CAAD3 frames.
heavy Surly Cross-Check.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra grouppo + Truvativ Rouleur carbon cranks. Easton Orion II wheels,
FSA stem/bar/post. Speedplay pedals.

Submitted by mnyby1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, handles great, reasonably light, inexpensive, very cool looking, good feel to it.

Weaknesses:    Enamel paint scratches easily. It would be nice if it were powdercoated.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to replace an older Colnago steel frame I had been using. Besides being significantly lighter, it was also generally zippier than the Colnago. One of the first things I noticed was how quickly it accelerated and how easily it retained momentum. It is very stable while climbing out of the saddle. I have read other reviews that say it is too stiff for long rides, but I rode two centuries on it already, and although it is not quite as forgiving as the steel frame, it is much smoother than any aluminum frames I have used in the past. I can't say whether this is because of the scandium alloy tubeset or because of the geometry and whatnot. I would definitely recommend it to any intermediate racer looking for a new frame. Very impressive for a frame in this price range--retail value on the 2005 frameset is $995, but I got it at wholesale.