Scattante XRL Road Frames

Head Tube Angle (degrees): 72º
Seat Tube Angle (degrees): 75º

Submitted by Leif Byrge-Liebig a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable
Attractive paint job
Stable geometry

Weaknesses:    Weight
Sizing is different
Paint quality

Bottom Line:
I have the 2012 model.

My folks bought me this bike because my last 2 training bikes snapped at the chainstay. They were also older. I didn't know what to expect from a frame as cheap at this. It was a surprise though. After i got the geometry figured out, it was able to hold its own. I use it for a training/ winter bike. This bike was built to be heavy. I was able to make it 22.5 lbs. My race day bike is a madone 6 series so the stiffness can't be compared at all. But i found that my scattante could actually corner a bit better and track a little better. It does have a good ride to it as well for an aluminum frame. I had 25 c tires on it though.

Back to the looks though if that is your thing, i did through on a zipp 404 and it looked like a legit racer.

I would race this bike if i needed to. I would recommend getting a decent set of wheels to help with acceleration. I am a sprinter, and even with a race light rear wheel, it was a bit slow in that department.

Purchased At:   performance bicycle

Saddle: seller San Marco, titanium rails
seatpost: miscellaneous

Submitted by tj90 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Strengths:    Price, welds, BB stiffness, paint. The seat post extending past TT is actually nice for mounting taillights and not interferring with seat post adjustments. Quality welded cable adjusters. Replaceable RD hanger and BB threads were clean. 5 year frame warranty. I thought I would ride this temporarily until I had the funds to get something nicer, but after riding for a month, I dont think I will buy another frame for a long time.

Weaknesses:    These frames are sized from BB to top of seat tube NOT center of TT like performance bike indicates. I had to sand the fork to fit the crown thats included - that was scary and time consuming. Use 1-1/4 PVC pipe to seat race on steering tube.

Bottom Line:
I built an XRL 60cm to replace my Giant TCR medium. My doctor diagnosed me with shoulder tendonitis and my riding buddy suggested that my extreme drops on the medium were too much. I built this bike up, taken it commuting, long bike rides with 3 mile climbs and 53 mph decents. Im very happy with the weld quality and paint. It rides great - not too stiff - tracks well and does not have much flex while stomping on the pedals with my 215# body. I was concerned that going from a small compact frame to a larger semi-compact XRL would be too harsh but its not. The less agressive rear stays makes easier to adjust chainlines and no shoe clearance problems.

Favorite Ride:   clear skies

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR and old school columbus SLX frames

Bike Setup:   Campy 9 speed drivetrain, ksyrium wheels, carbon stem, handlebars and seat post.

Submitted by akmott a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    Cost
Predictable Handing
Geometry similar to that of high end bikes
New graphics (2007 and newer are pretty sharp)
Durable

Weaknesses:    Snob factor (if it matters to you)

Bottom Line:
Model owned: Scattante XRL Comp

I bought this frame because I needed a second road bike with a geometry fairly close to my Specialized S-works e5...and, let's be honest, it was dirt cheap. My GT ZR 2.0 was just a radical departure in riding position from my Specialized and was also drastically heavier. So I picked this frame up, on an impulse purchase when I saw it on sale in the store for $209 - 20% off.

I call it my ebay special because the components are a combination of left over parts I had lying around and stuff I was able to snag for cheap off of ebay and nashbar. The total cost was easily under $700 because I was able to snag the Titan wheelset on sale for $130 over the holidays.

Wow was I surprised at the result! I bought the white frame with black graphics and because all of my parts were black, it looks pretty damn sharp for a knock-off racer.

The bike weighs in at a shade over 18 lbs., which IMO is very respectable and the fit and finish were pretty quality. I'm heavy right now (200+ lbs/20lbs overweight) and so far I haven't detected a bit of flex. The geometry is exactly what I was looking for and the handling is responsive but very stable. Just look where you want to go and you're there. Overall performance-wise, I no longer dread having to perform maintenance work on my primary bike these days because I know that I have an able back-up.

Not that it matters to me, but the only possible drawback is the snob factor. Even still, I believe I've gotten more nods of approval than smirks and even a few compliments on the color scheme.

Overall it's an excellent second bike and a very good first bike, especially when factoring the cost. If you're like me and can't afford to keep a stable of high end bikes in the garage, then I'd highly recommend one.

Favorite Ride:   Hightower Hump, Georgia

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   GT ZR 2.0

Bike Setup:   54 cm. (medium) XRL Comp frame
Forte Titan wheelset
9-spd Shimano 105 shifters and rear der.
Ultegra Front Der.
Brakes: can't remember
Crankset - Nashbar alum 172.5mm compact double
BB: Mega Expo
Pedals: Nashbar look-style
Seatpost: Nashbar carbon seatpost
Seat: Sella Italia Prolink Trans-Am
Handlebar: Oversized 44cm (can't remember the brand)
Stem: Nashbar OS stem

Submitted by B a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    - Defective fork.
- Customer service.

I had never crashed on this bike frame, but the store insisted that I must have done something because forks don't shear off like that. They weren't willing to fully warranty it. I am more concerned that there is actually a manufactering defect since I had only been commuting on it less than one year.

Bottom Line:
I got the Scattante XRL frame as a replacement for another. After nine months of commuting on the bike, the carbon fiber fork failed catastrophically while I started riding home. I got bruises, road rash, and a hand that isn't at 100% strength. I consider myself lucky not to be hurt worse. See photos of the bike:

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Submitted by Grace Charles a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Strengths:    Light and responsive, no problems with my heavy-set body. Carbon seatpost remedied the slightly harsh ride. The frame is highly true and tracks straight-as-can-be with no-hands riding. Great value.

Weaknesses:    Graphics; but at this price who cares. Also there were no headset instructions (other reviewers mentioned same) and I had to find them online.

Bottom Line:
I had this frame for a year now and really like it. It is a very close copy of a higher-end Specialized frame. I ride 100 miles a week and it suits me fine. Sure, it gets second-looks from the brand name snobs, but with the money I saved I bought a decent wheelset and new shoes. Overall, best bike purchase I've ever made.

Favorite Ride:   River Roads in Minneapolis where drivers yell at me

Purchased At:   Performance.com

Similar Products Used:   None. Had a steel framed Bridgestone prior.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 9spd compnts, Velomax Circuit wheelset, Ritchey crank