Seven Cycles Alta Frames

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

New for 2002, the Alta features our exclusive Cirrus™ ultra-butted titanium tubing and a compact frame design making possible our lightest frame ever.
  • Seven's exclusive ultra-butted tubing technology; tube wall thickness varies continuously according to the complex stresses that occur at various points along the tube
  • Domestically sourced seamless 3-2.5 titanium
  • Dual-curve seat stays provide enhanced compliance for a smoother ride and improved wheel tracking and traction
  • Large diameter S-bend chain stays for greater stiffness under bending and torsion; better acceleration, traction, and climbing
  • Super-strong CNC machined 6-4 Ti dropouts feature ramps for faster wheel changes
  • Completely custom geometry, tubing, and options at no extra charge
  • Lifetime warranty

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by cyclismo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Strengths:    light, lively, without sacrificing stiffness. comfortable on long rides.

Weaknesses:    super sensetive handling, can get sketchy, need to get used it.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike when I got to the point with where my My Merlin was feeling too noodly. I was looking for something stiffer, lighter. looked at a number of carbon bikes, either too stiff or not stiff enough and felt lifeless + a lot of carbon bikes were fairly heavy. considered steel then hit on the Alta, found a great deal. I loved it right away. Light stiff but lively, climbs beautifuly, great on long 100+ mile rides

Favorite Ride:   Glendora Mt. Road

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Ti, Kelly Steel, tested Orbea Orca, Treck Madone, Look 585, Time, Mercx carbon

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 10 speed, FSA Kforce bar and stem, Aien post, Look Keo, Velomax Orion

Submitted by solarider a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    Achieves the weight goal. Impeccable welds and build quality. The usual level of red carpet treatment from Seven. Rewarding customisation and fit process. Much improved lead time these days.

Weaknesses:    Sacrifices ride quality for weight saving. Looks skinny even compared to a 'standard' ti tube set. Maybe I have been spoilt by my other Sevens, but given the price premium, this isn't the step change in performance I was hoping for.

Bottom Line:
    A difficult bike to rate. I own 2 Axioms and a Sola in addition to the Alta. Whilst they are all "cheaper" frames than the Alta, I would have to say I prefer the ride quality. Having specified the same level of stiffness and ride quality as my other frames, the Alta is not nearly as comfortable. Sure it weighs a lot less, but this seems to have been done using smaller diameter tubes rather than the clever extra butting that I was expecting. This seems to have made the ride harsh and not at all ti-like. The bike is still a dream to ride, fits like a glove and is manufactured to the same high standard that all of my other Sevens have been, but the ride quality is unfortunately just not there. If you are reading this and considering a purchase, my advice would be to try the Elium if you want light weight and more comfort, or save a little and go for the Axiom. The fatter tubes and greater scope for ride customisation seem to be worth the slight weight penalty. If you want light weight and are prepared to sacrifice a little comfort, then go for the Alta. I guess this summary sounds a little negative, but it shouldn't. This is still a great frame by any standard, but compared to my Axioms, despite the weight penalty when I go to the garage and decide which bike to ride, generally either Axiom wins over the Alta. Suprisingly given the weight and smaller diameter tubes, the stiffness has never been an issue and I am no light weight rider. Some how this stiffnes translates into quite a harsh ride. I know you can specifiy a Seven to be as stiff as you like, but I stress, I set this one up with the same ride comfort as my others.

Purchased At:   Sigma Sport, London

Similar Products Used:   S-Works, Merckx MXL, Merlin Extralight, Cannondale, Seven Axiom.

Bike Setup:   Carbon Record, Hyperons with Continental Competitions, Seven Stem, Deda Bars, Time Pedals, Thomson Masterpiece, SLR.

Submitted by renny94 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Fit, Finish, Weight, Handling Characteristics, Overall ride quality

Bottom Line:
    This frame is amazing! The feel is incredibly lively. I feel as if every ride takes less effort for better results. I can bomb down the descents and dance up the hills. What is really unbelieveable is that it looks as good as it performs. The finish is beautiful! I don't think I'll ever buy a different frame. The team at Seven Cycles are true artists and perfectionists.

Favorite Ride:   Any fast group ride

Purchased At:   Tour Of Neveda City

Similar Products Used:   Lightspeed Sienna w/ Campy Chorrus, FSA Carbon Team Issue cranks, Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset, Speedplay X2 pedals

Bike Setup:   '04 Record Carbon, FSA Carbon Team Issue cranks, Easton EC90 carbon seat post & EC70 carbon handlebar, Speedplay X1 pedals, Sella Italia Aspide saddle, Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset

Alta Alpina double

Anyone doing it? Bostic?Read More »

Snowboarders sue Alta, in federal court

[url=http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_24937179/snowboarders-sue-alta]Snowboarders sue Alta - The Park Record[/url] Yes, there are other resorts that ban snowboarders, however Alta is unique that it is on federal land, so, in addition to Alta, the US Forest Service is also being sued.Read More »

Pricing ? Seven alta

Hello seven forum, I recently got the taste for carbon so parting with my trusty 04 seven alta. The bike was great,just time for a change. Like all sevens custom built effective size 53cm. Loaded with dura ace 10 spd from that era, other than ultegra compact crank...knees needed help. Easton carbon ... Read More »

Alta Alpine 8

I just signed up for the Alta Alpine 8 pass challenge as the final peg in the CA Triple Crown Stage Race. I've done the Death Ride, of course, but looking for recaps of AA8 to prepare.. doesn't look like my go-to for writeups, [URL="http://djconnel.blogspot.com/"]Dan[/URL], has done this one! :) ... Read More »

pics from Alta Alpina Wild Sierra Century 06/30

Hello All, Just wanted to share some pics from the Alta Alpina Wild Sierra century. [url=http://yurides.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/alta-alpina-challenge-wild-sierra-century/]Alta Alpina Challenge-Wild Sierra Century | Ride Chronicles[/url] It's a great event ride with wonderful support! Na ... Read More »