Soma Fabrications Double Cross DC Frames

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Do it all on the Double Cross DC. Disc brake compatible. Tange Prestige tubing. Cyclocross commuting touring.

Submitted by mikerobin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    great steel ride, tuff as nails.

Weaknesses:    none at this price

Bottom Line:
excellent value and excellent ride. I got this bike as a commuter, but now I use it on my regular rode rides (hardly use my road bike anymore.) comfy ride and good looking to boot.

Favorite Ride:   20 mile commute

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   vicious cycles fork. mixed bag rest. campy record crank/bb/frnt derailluer. campy chorus hubs/abrossia rims. avid shorty brake/techtra lever. shimano friction only bar end shifters.

Submitted by barrettscv a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Ride quality, bomb-proof, fit

Weaknesses:    Not a race bike, not a 29er

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bike that would fit almost any size tire and feel unbreakable. I am on pavement 99% of the time, but the potholes and broken glass in Chicago are bad enough to require the tough wheels and tires currently installed. I'm going to add a faster set of wheels and tires for suburban summer riding.

Another feature, besides the tire clearance was the disc brake flange. This is another potential future upgrade.The Double Cross is one bike that can do-it-all.

1200 miles, time for a complete review.

Its been said that a great bike is a bike you want to ride everyday. The Soma Double Cross scores a 10 out of 10 on that basis.

My initial impression on the bike was how big, but comfortable the fit is. It took a little familiarity and seat and handlebar adjustment, but the size 60cm frame fits me, and I’m just 6 foot. The zero offset FSA seatpost positions the seat at the right location and the 110mm stem brings the bars within reach. I’m on the drops about 50% of the time, the hoods are easy to ride and the cross bar is good to use at lower speeds and helps me look above the traffic as I commute. The very tall 195mm head-tube is golden. It puts the handlebar at just the right level without multiple spacers. It looks right, and the fit is great.

The ride quality is remarkable. It provides a smooth comfortable ride as the rider seems to float along. I was looking for long distance traveling comfort and the steel frame with a carbon fiber fork is very damp and plush. The bike also feels lively and accelerates well. I can sprint to 25 mph at will.

Handling is excellent and stability is also very good. The bike turns in quickly without feeling squirrelly. Stability is more than adequate. The bike will drift off line if the rider is daydreaming, but no issue IMO. It’s the kind of bike that wants to be driven hard at 20 mph or more. I’ll scrape the pedals while taking turns and accelerating out of the corners. Tons of fun to ride anywhere.

The drivetrain does its job. I changed out the compact 48 & 36t crank for a 44t single chairing, creating a 1X10. Here in Chicago the 1X10, using a 12-25 10-speed cassette, provides a broad enough range for the few hills I travel. Even uphill against the wind, the gear range is all I need. With a 1X10 there is no cross chain rule and no redundant gears. I can intuitively go up and down the range and instantly be in the right gear. The Felt hubs and Mavic rims are strong and offer good performance.

A great do-everything bike

Favorite Ride:   40 mile road

Purchased At:   BikeMania

Bike Setup:   Ridley 4ZA Zornyc carbon CX fork, Cane Creek headset, Felt 1.3 6061 Butted Alloy Bar, Felt 1.2cm 3D-Forged Stem, Shimano 105 brifters, Tektro Oryx brakes with Tektro RX bar-top levers, Mavic CXP-22 Double-Wall Rims and DT Doubled Butted Champion Spokes, Felt Precision Sealed-Bearing Hubs & 700x28 Continental Gatorback tires. 175mm Sram S300 GXP CX compact double crank with a 46 X 38t ring pair, Shimano CX SPD pedals, Ultegra derailleur. 105 11-25 cassette. FSA seatpost, Felt 1.1 saddle

Traitor Ruben vs Soma Double Cross dc

For a do it all full time commuter, part time racer. Steel with disc brakes. Your thoughts on these two frames. [url=http://www.traitorcycles.com/Bikes_Ruben.cfm]::T R A I T O R C Y C L E S::[/url] [url=http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/double-cross-dc]Double Cross DC | SOMA Fabricat ... Read More »

Surly Cross Check vs Soma Double Cross DC

Not sure if this would be the correct forum to ask but here goes. I have been doing a ton of research on this and other forums with regard to these 2 bikes. I am hoping to buy or build up a bike primarily as a commuter/road bike but also am hoping to do the C &O Canal -GAP trail next year, with on ... Read More »

Disc brake cross/tour/commuter options? Soma Double Cross DC?

I have done lots of searching here as well as google searches on disc brake cross or touring bikes, and I am still coming back to the Double Cross DC, but want to make sure I have considered all options before pulling the trigger. I am looking for a steel frame, with disc mounts, rack mounts, room ... Read More »