Soma Fabrications Smoothie ES Frames

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

• Reynolds 631 air-hardened steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end
  • Less aggressive road sport geometry
  • Rear rack & fender mounts.
  • Designed with 57mm reach caliper brakes in mind. Fits a 32c tire with fenders
  • Optional carbon fork or steel fork available. Both have fender eyelets.
  • 1-1/8" size headtube - w/ extra extension so you use less spacers
  • 27.2mm post size
  • 11 sizes: 46cm to 66cm
  • 4.0 lbs. (54cm)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Steve Harvey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Strengths:    Great ride, better quality tubing than Surly Pacer. Comes without fork for more options. It is hard to find a bike like this now, and they use to be very common.

Weaknesses:    Wish it had a pump peg and a external collar, but this is minor.

Bottom Line:
    The Soma ES is what was most common type of bike back in the 70's, the sport tourer. It rides stable, comfortable, and is fast enough. It is a better choice for recreational riders who have no plans on racing. At the end of the day you body is less likely to be sore. At 56 this matters.

Favorite Ride:   Around Lynchburg Tn.

Purchased At:   Treefortbikes

Similar Products Used:   Lemond steel frame, Fuji, Performance, all with similar frames for 30 years.

Bike Setup:   Built up myself with nice carbon fork, Shimano Ultegra and 105 parts.

Submitted by jthurber80 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    Well constructed. Strong. Good geometry (individual choice, of course). Nice paint!

Weaknesses:    IRD fork was heavy - but the stock frame is awesome. Needs rear fender brackets (by bottom bracket). Drop outs could be better constructed but, so far, no problem.

Bottom Line:
    I saw a SOMA Smoothie Frame at Bicycle Outfitters in Los Altos and thought it was one of the nicest looking frames I'd seen. So I ordered one. It's very well put together and fit me perfectly. I've done multiple centuries and one double-century and survived. I give it a 100 percent recommendation.

It's also an outstanding commuter bike, carrying teaching books and student papers to / from work on a daily basis.

The mountain gearing was selected as this (nearly 60 year old) ancient body struggles to enjoy the Woodside / Coastal mountains. The 22 x 36 cassette might seem too low but it works very well, permitting an average level touring speed of between 16 and 20 mph with reasonable cadence. The advantage of the mountain gearing is that if I take the SOMA off-road, it's not such a big deal.

Favorite Ride:   Stanford University to Alice's Restaurant (Woodside Hills)

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   LeMond Zurich, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Bike Setup:   Mountain gearing (SLX 36/22 crank, SRAM 11 x 36 cassette), Tubus Luna rack, Winwood carbon fork, drop bars, Phil Wood hubs, Velocity Dyad rims, downtube shifters.

Submitted by ab138501 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    The Soma Smoothie ES comes in 11 sizes. I'm 6'5" tall. The 64cm Soma Smoothie ES frame allows me to get a perfect fit without going to a custom-built frame. Excellent geometry. Smooth, stable, comfortable, and fast too. The Soma Smoothie ES has lots of braze-ons for fenders and racks.

Bottom Line:
    The Soma Smoothie ES is an awesome bike. The build quality is great. It comes in 11 sizes. The geometry yields a comfortable and fast ride. It has room for wider tires. It has braze-ons for fenders and a rear rack. The price is very reasonable. Riding it is a joy!

Favorite Ride:   http://www.highlandercycletour.com/

Similar Products Used:   Peugeot PH10LE
    Schwinn Super Sport SE
    Bottechia SL
    De Bernardi Zona

Bike Setup:   64cm Soma Smoothie ES frame, Bontrager Satellite Plus fork with 335mm steerer tube, Shimano Ultegra 10 speed, hand-built wheels with Mavic T520 rims

Submitted by Jeffrey B. Skubi a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    I PREFER STEEL TO OTHER FRAME MATERIALS. The Soma "ES" frame builds into a very comfortable, mile-eating bike. The wheelbase is a long 1027mm so the Soma ES tracks exceptionally well without conscious rider attention. Rivendell on the cheap.

Weaknesses:    ES 58cm frame feels "short" relative to other 58cm framed bikes I own. This is likely attributable to the 73 degree head angle and the long fork. I use a l20mm stem to get the 'bar out there at sufficient distance. This "weakness" comment is not a biggie; just build around it. But as Somas are usually bought as frames you should be aware of the subjective feel.

Bottom Line:
    I have two road bikes on which I ride Centuries in Florida and nearby Georgia and Alabama: My Soma Smmothie ES and a Jamis Quest. Both are steel, light, shock absorbing, long wheelbase and comfortable. Both are set up with Shimano 105 components. I can ride them both fast, with the Jamis Quest being slightly faster covering 100 miles. (I have reviewed the Jamis Quest separately.) I like the IRD steel fork. First, it projects quite a distance above the 170mm head tube, longer than the available carbon forks, which yields a distinctly head up riding position which is easy on my neck and back. IRD steel fork also absorbs road shocks well. You BUY a SOMA ES because you want to take it easy on your body relative to trendy "race geometry" frames.

Favorite Ride:   Florida, Levy County HW 347

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Quest and Specialized Roubaix Triple. I prefer the Jamis Quest and Soma ES to the Roubaix.

Bike Setup:   Steel "ES" Cobalt Blue frame : 59cm with tall, uncut IRD Tange steel fork. Mostly Shimano 105 components; triple/ten cogs. Shimano 105 hubs laced to Mavic A319 19mm touring rims 32/36 spokes; WTB Slickasaurus 700 x 35 tires; no fenders. Ritchey "Classic" non-Ergo shallow bars held by Ritchey 120mm Adjustable Stem. Selle Royal gel saddle on springs. MKS #33 counter-weighted pedals with Power Grips. One "blinkie", two strobe lights; I am very careful to be visible to vehicles, especially pickups pulling sport fishing boats on trailers at 75 mph.

Submitted by bigbill a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    Bang for the buck
    Finish
    Customer service, after a while.

Weaknesses:    Weight, if that matters.
    Seat tube water bottle bosses are low like a cross bike. Too low for me to use.

Bottom Line:
    I bought an ES in 2005 for a commuter. I really liked the finish, it exceeded my expectations for the price point. The fork is a boat anchor, but it matches the frame and I am not overly concerned with weight. I used it daily for around 20 months in tropical Hawaii with no rust issues. One morning on the way to work, the frame snapped at the drive side rear dropout. Soma offered to repair the frame under warranty. The frame was sent to a frame shop and repaired. The frame was returned unpainted with bare metal. I was not satisfied with the repair and after a few weeks of being ignored, I finally got a new frame. The frames are built and painted overseas. I have no doubts about the quality of the repair, I just expected the frame to be repainted where the repairs were made.

The frame that broke was a 631 and the replacement was Tange. I haven't ridden the new frame. The frames need quite a bit of prep work before building up.

I would buy a Soma frame again.