Soma Fabrications Smoothie Frames

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

The Smoothie road race frame is agile and responsive. Excellent for stage races and competitive club rides. But also comfortable enough for daily commutes. The semi-compact geometry allows for more standover clearance and fitting options.

Submitted by lebikerboy

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    Nicely welded and finished. The only frame prep I had to do was to sand the seat tube as there was some paint
burrs around the top. Bottom bracket and head tube were fine. Excellent price for such quality.

Weaknesses:    Is the Tange tubing really heat treated or not?

Bottom Line:
I feel like Goldilocks as the original frame I started with was a Klein Quatum but those big aluminum thin walled
tubes were tooo stiff. Next was a Carbon/Titanium frame that was tooo flexy.
The Smoothie is just right being stiff enough yet, forgiving. I've noticed I'm not as beat up after a ride as I was on my Klein.
The price was great too as I bought it from Pricepoint when it was on sale and, because it was back ordered I saved another
10 %!
In summary beats all the other steel frames I looked at, Surley Pacer/Traitor Exile/etc.

Great bike for the quality and price...

Submitted by Dennis a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    Cost, ride quality, fit and nothing proprietary.

Weaknesses:    Headset and BB needed to be faced. BB and Rear derailleur hanger needed to be chased.

Bottom Line:
This frame is the best kept secret in the cycling industry. The workmanship is nice and the ride quality excellent. I have a 60 cm and it is plenty stiff enough. I put a ouzo pro fork, apex/rival group and Stan's road wheels on it and it's plenty light enough. In fact, since I built this bike I haven't ridden my $7,000 madone once. I'm just as fast on my Smoothie as I am on the madone. And if I get chain suck, I don't need to replace my frame. Buy an IF if you have tons of money or buy a Smoothie and take a nice vacation.

Favorite Ride:   Northampton to Plaifield

Purchased At:   Work

Similar Products Used:   Concorde SLX, Madone, IF

Bike Setup:   In description

Submitted by James Thurber a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2011

Strengths:    Cost (excellent), overall quality of welds and paint was superb. Great riding position (it fits me!), good ride uphill, a bit twitchy downhill when loaded with books and clothing (I'm a school teacher) but mostly it's an excellent frame, making a first rate (light) touring and commuting bike.

Weaknesses:    Chainstays are a bit short - but that's it. Otherwise I have absolutely no complaints.

Bottom Line:
Frame arrived at Palo Alto Bicycle who ensured all threads were chased and surfaces flat - they were. They installed Chris King headset and the frame set / fork was ready to come home.

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda Road

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper, Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Bike Setup:   Woods hubs, Dyad rims, Ultegra compact with SRAM XX 11 x 36 cassette (old riders appreciate low gears, even on a road frame!), drop bars, downtube shifters.

Submitted by Pat a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    Superior Road Dampining. Nice paint, Decals, Semi Compact geometry.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but who cares

Bottom Line:
Bought this frame and fork just for a spare bike to ride. I hadn't ridden a steel bike for several years, mostly riding carbon and aluminum in recent years. The first time I got on the bike I couldn't believe how smooth it was. I took it out for a longer ride on some rough chip seal roads in texas. As my bike entered the rough roads I kept waiting for the bone jarring I was used to with my carbon bike. It never happened, I felt as though I was floating on top of the rough road. I then remimbered that this that was awesome feeling I got 30 years ago when I fell in love with cycling. Thanks for the great ride Soma!

Favorite Ride:   Soma Smoothie

Purchased At:   bikemania

Similar Products Used:   Peugeot, Univega, cannondale, specialized, orbea, nashbar.

Bike Setup:   Frame- Tange heat treated, Ultegra 10 speed shifters and derailers, sram cranks, dura ace brakes, forte wheels, stem.

Submitted by Decks a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    Steel, comfort, quality, finish, value for money,traditional geometry. Seriously cool retro look.

Weaknesses:    Need to face BB shell otherwise the only gripe is more than two color options please!

Bottom Line:
Bought this to replace a broken 1996 Diamondback Podium 2 that had done great service. Wanted a new steel frame that was well made, reliable, traditional geometry and high quality. And needed something that was durable as I am not as light as I once was. SOMA fitted those criteria. Western Bike outfitters were fantastic and when you are doing mail order from Australia that is important. Ride quality is outstanding, much better than Alu and different to CF. No discernible change in speed between my Spesh Roubaix and the SOMA. For a long day in the saddle the SOMA is the choice. Perhaps the latest CF bike is not the way to go??

Favorite Ride:   Mount Buller

Purchased At:   Western Bike Outfitt

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubaix, Diamond Back Podium, Planet-X 'Kaffenback' CX bike, Shogun Team Issue, Custom aluminum road bike, Mongoose CF road bike (back in the 90s). Plus a heap of MTB over the last 20 years

Bike Setup:   Ultegra crank (9sp) 53/42, DA rear mech and chain, 12-23 cassette, Ultegra wheelset, Continental GP4000S tires, 105 brakes and STI, Campy seatpost, Specialized bars, Rolls "regal" saddle

43mm vs 45mm rake for Soma Smoothie?

Just ordered a 58cm Smoothie and I'm looking to pair with a Ritchey Carbon fork that I already have, a 45mm rake Soma's websites recommends a 43mm fork... In an email their rep said a "[FONT=arial]45mm rake should be no problem. It will handle a little quicker than a 43mm rake."[/FONT] [FONT=arial] ... Read More »

Have I ordered the right Soma Smoothie size?

In the next couple of weeks I will be building a Soma Smoothie to replace a 2011 Planet X Ti Pro Road that I crashed last weekend. I've ordered from a shop that I know well, but they're in a different city and they don't have any Somas in stock, so having them do a fitting is sort of impossible. ... Read More »

Soma Smoothie Build

I recently built this up and wanted to share: [IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yUEouNi2H0E/UGhphTJzGKI/AAAAAAAABJo/jh-K-7IxA9I/s731/2012-09-30_11-24-55_130.jpg[/IMG] Couple shots of the frame prior to being built: [IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/fikretatalay/Bikes/P924015 ... Read More »

Mmmmm, smoothie

I have perfected my post ride recipie. Note; on rides shorter than 35 miles I just drink milk. Recipie: 6oz. Milk 1oz. 100% Orange juice 1oz. 100% grape juice 1 bannanna 5 strawberries 1 scoop "designer whey" vanilla protein 1 scoop "hammer heed" mandarin orange 8 almonds Blend & en ... Read More »

Italian Beauty or Asian Smoothie

Am I nuts?!! Been wanting a steel bike for a while and after researching It came down to the Gunnar Roadie or Soma Smoothie. I wanted somthing for daily riding/ training other than my Caad 5. Want somthing I can throw in the truck to take to work for lunch rides. Rack mounts would be nice. Someti ... Read More »