Specialized 01 S-Works M4 Road - Frame only Frames

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Same M4 chassis as the S-Works M4 Road, buy in a frame-only package.

Submitted by a Road Racer from Grandview Heights, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Great stiffness, great acceleration, great aerodynamics.

Weaknesses:    The aluminum frame lets you feel every bump on the road, gets rough at times.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. Great Stiffness, great acceleration, great aerodynamics.

Favorite Ride:   Anything that I can

Purchased At:   www.ebay.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized m4, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL, Deda Newton bar and stem, Full ultegra

Submitted by multisport33 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Strengths:    Great Acceleration
Nimble, quick turns
EXTREMELY stable on fast, downhill descents
Fantastic race bike

Bottom Line:
As with any bike, it's important to measure the s-works M4 in conjunction with it's purpose: in this case, a road race bike. In this regard, this bike truly shines. If you're looking for a comfortable ride to put thousands of training miles on for centuries, look elsewhere. However, it you don't mind a stiff ride during training rides and place a higher priority on race results, giddyup, this bike is a jewel! It's aero frame slices the wind and remains extremely stable on fast, downhill descents. As for climbing, again the stiff frame shines w/ exceptional power transfer. For those who can't afford to buy a road bike, a training bike, and a triathlon specific bike, the M4 is worthy of consideration, especially at the prices available on ebay.

Favorite Ride:   Anything w/ a steep grade on a country road

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Profile Design fast forward seatpost
Mavic CXP14 aero wheels
Profile Design Carbon Stryke aerobars
Shimano Ultegra drivetrain
Profile Design AC Carbon fork

Submitted by mikethecrab a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    very responsive, very stiff. Aero setup is nice, and it makes it look fast even if you arent. very light frame.

Weaknesses:    seat post clamp screw stripped and had to be replaced w/ a more burley screw. seat post clamp design kind of squirlly. Dropout material is different from actual tubing- therefor making it a weakpoint in the frame.

Bottom Line:
When i bought this frame, i thought it was too good to be true. it was an awesome frame, from long flats, to the hills- very responsive. i'm in the process of getting it replaced, due to the chainstay breaking at the dropout. My buddy tells me that since it's not part of the actual tubing, it's not the frame that broke, but after two years and a lot of miles, this kind of thing shouldn't happen to a bike of this caliber. this frame is awesome on descents, nary a shake when going 40+ mph. it sucks that the frame broke (2h45min into a ride no less) it makes me not want to ride another specialized frame.

Purchased At:   supergo

Bike Setup:   dura ace components- currently in a cardboard box awaiting a replacement frame.

Submitted by Dan a Triathlete from Hayward, CA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    Very good power transfer.
Rigid -- if you like that sort of thing.
Turns on a dime.
Excellent fork.
Unbelievable acceleration.
Great in the wind.
Light weight.
Specialized's customer service.
Great with some clip-ons for triathlon.

Weaknesses:    Rigid -- if you don't like that sort of thing.
Admittedly harsher ride than many bikes.
Small wheelbase occasionally makes it so your foot will hit the wheel on slow, sharp turns. Nothing dangerous, though.
Expensive.

Bottom Line:
I had this as a replacement to my 2000 M4 frame (which developed a creaking). By the way, Specialized was absolutely outstanding with their customer service. Honestly, the M4 was my first aluminum ride. I am a lightweight rider, and hence a climber, so this light frame seemed like a good choice, and it has not let me down. I was able to get a great deal on the 2000 version, and if you can afford it, I'd personally say it's a great racing bike. For touring, however, definitely lean towards something with a softer ride.

Purchased At:   Replacement of 2000

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Dura-Ace everything, Time carbon fork.

Submitted by giovanni a Triathlete from Texas

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Strengths:    -efficient power transfer
-aero design
-Great looks

Bottom Line:
I have had a variety of cro-mo framesets in the past and I have traditionally enjoyed the mellow ride of steel. There is something to be said about a well made steel bike. To cut to the chase after having a wreck and being forced to relace my trust steed I took a short trip to the local bike shop where I purchased my M4. when I fist started buildin it I often wondered how I would feel after my training rides ( incapacitated from the wais down came to mind at first ). After building it and took it out for its shake down I realized some interesting things:
-All the power was directed directly into propulsion. there was little flex in the frame (if any at all). "All Killer no Filler"
-Since in all sanctioned Tri-events there is no drafting any help you can get to fend off the wind is a huge plus (56% of your energy is spent overcoming wind resistance....Yikes!) To quote the now venerable Brian Adams (yes this is going to be cheesy): "Cuts like a knife"
-There is something to be said about a good looking bike...I own a ATB bike and I love it. I am not a full time road rider but with all the tri-training I find myself on my road bike quite often. This paticular bike just looks great with all the nice welds, tight tolerances and the aero frame.
The bottom line for what its worth the whole M4 process that specialize employs puts out a decent bike frame that would turn any stalwart cro-mo rider into a 'believer'.

Favorite Ride:   any I can do

Purchased At:   used at a local bike shop[

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Full ultegra drive train wt Durace 55T big ring. set up with TT/aero bar combination with bar end shifters.