Steelman Cycles Eurocross Frames

Submitted by Rich Nickla a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Strengths:    Quick handling in the technical stuff, tracks like it's on rails at speed, comfortable when it gets rough, stiff laterally, and impeccable welds. Equally important is the customer service provided by Brent and crew. They take care of you very well and actually listen to your input. You feel like you're part of the team, not just some guy with a checkbook.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
As with all of Brent's bikes, my Eurocross is a stellar example of getting what you pay for. The craftmanship is immaculate, the finish and set-up are perfect, and it rides beautifully. I work in the cycling business and have access to just about any bike I want, but I'm sticking with Steelman, and you can keep your OCLV-Ti-Scandium-Wonder-Widget-Of-The-Month.

Favorite Ride:   Steelman

Purchased At:   from Brent

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Bike Setup:   Steelman 853 Eurocross, stem, and fork
Profile bars and seatpost
Campy carbon levers

Submitted by Jonathan Graves a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Strengths:    Strong AND light!
Stiff AND compliant!
Knife AND fork!

Weaknesses:    Decals a bit fragile

Bottom Line:
Like many other reviewers here, I was looking for a 'road bike' that would cover all the bases. You know, a good winter commuter, hang with roadie buddies, maybe tour a bit, get dirty once in a while. I was a bike messenger in London for a few years and have bent many a feathery road frame - strength and durability were primary considerations.

The Steelman Eurocross met my criteria and has exeeded my expectations. As others have mentioned, dealing with Brent was a pleasure. His work came strongly recommended by local frame builders and cyclocrossers. I like to choose my bikes carefully and I enjoy it when other bike people notice my bike and compliment me on it.

The amazing thing about the Eurocross is the versatility it achieves without deviating far from classic road bike geometry. It feels so 'right' on the dirt that you assume it must use mountain bike geometry. However, ride it on the road and you quickly realize that this is no hybrid ba$tard.

I love the Dedacci Zero/Uno tubeset - It has a little bit more compliance than 853 without being too whippy. Closeout pricing on this tubeset was the icing on the cake.

Favorite Ride:   Lewis River Trail (WA)

Purchased At:   Steelman

Similar Products Used:   IF, Ti Cycles, Davidson

Bike Setup:   Mostly XTR (including hubs)
Open Pro rims
Thompson post, WTB saddle
Dia-compe 986 cantis.

Submitted by HWTrider a Recreational Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable light steel ride with great handling.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of!

Bottom Line:
I ride in the city as well as off road.
I tend to get bored riding just one type of terain. The Eurocross is everything I expected in a costom frame. The bike is comfortable, light and agile. When I ride on the road the bike is smooth and astonishingly fast. Curb hops and pot holes are taken in stride. When I put a set of road wheels on the bike I was able to keep up on long group rides. On fire roads the bike really excells. It is fast and stable even when the gravel gets deep.
On single track the bike handles very well. Much to my surprise I have been able to knife through mud and water at good speeds. I am very pleased with this
purchase.

Dealing with Brent Steelman and his wife was a great pleasure. They povided excellent costomer service.

Favorite Ride:   Wissahickon woods/Perkiomen trail

Purchased At:   Steelman Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale XS-800 2 years

Bike Setup:   Ultegra Cross Crank and Front der. ultegra shifters and brake levers. Tektro secondary brake levers. XT rear der. and cassett.Mavic open pro 36 hole rims with ultegra hubs.

Submitted by Hector Chow a Recreational Rider from San Francisco, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Solid built frame, and fork produces light smooth ride with responsive steering, and excellent shock absorption.

Weaknesses:    Pricey of course since we are talking of a top notch product. Another weakness is that it is too beautiful that it may attrack bike thieves.

Bottom Line:
I enjoy all aspects of bicycling: touring, commuting, track, racing, off road. So, instead of buying four or five specialized bikes, I wanted to get a 'dream bike' that could do all of these forms of cycling well. After trying several options: touring bikes, mountain bikes, and some cyclocross bikes at various bike shops, I finally got to test ride a Steelman Eurocross. The minute I rode it I was sold: smooth, crispy handling, good feel in the ride, and fast! So I ordered one from Brent Steelman.
I must say he is very patient in that he listens and values his customers. You see I am very picky, and very often indecisive; yet he was patient throughout the two and half months it took the bike to be delivered. I changed color of paints several times, crankset setup, etc. Yet, he always listened; always answered the phone himself to produce that 'do it all' bike that I have been dreaming of.
So, this past week got to ride the finished Steelman Eurocross. It is light, responsive, smooth, and climbs well. In the velodrome, I am amazed how fast it rides; and off road it carves well through singletrack, sand and mud. I am becoming interested in cyclocross now, since the Eurocross is especially made for that. Living in Northern California I feel fortunate that I was able to visit Brent Steelman's business personally. He measured me to get the right frame sizing, and right frame specifications. Happy trails Steelman riders!

Favorite Ride:   Nevada City Classic

Purchased At:   Steelman Cycles in R

Similar Products Used:   waterford, sycip.

Bike Setup:   Eurocross 47 cm frame (in Moss Green);Steelman fork and stem, Campy Record Triple kit, Chris King headset, open pro rims.

Submitted by J RUDEBUDDA3000 a Road Racer from Boston

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    light, supple and forgiving ride

Weaknesses:    price was painful

Bottom Line:
I never appeciated it when peple said "steel is real' until now... incredable

Favorite Ride:   Steelman Eurocross