Steelman Cycles Stage Race 525 (SR525) Frames

Reynolds 525 steel road frame/fork

Submitted by gunnar02 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Personal care by Brent and Katryn of which I am eternaly greatful is the ultimate strong point. Several frame builders can make a great frame but few will marry customer service and an exceptional product like Steelman Cycles.

Weaknesses:    Zero - None

Bottom Line:
What a beautiful frame. Forget about any other steel frame you may have been thinking about and get a Steelman. Outstanding ride and comfortable over the long haul. Descending is a no brainer - just point and go. Only limit to going uphill is your fitness. The frame responds to everything asked of it. Beautiful Anthracite powder coat color looked like a black pearl. I use past tense only because it was stolen in September. Now I can upgrade to the Stage Race and simply cannot wait.

Purchased At:   Steelman website

Similar Products Used:   Old '79 Columbus SL tubed Trek

Bike Setup:   Ultegra groupo, Mavic Open Pro w/Conti 300 Gran Prix. Salsa seatpost, Steelman stem, TTT bars and stem, Flite ti saddle.

Submitted by Rich Nickla a Road Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Superb handling, superb build quality, great customer service.

Weaknesses:    None (For those who say "light, for steel", my 58cm bike weighs in at 17.5 lbs with race wheels. That's light, period.)

Bottom Line:
In the 10 years that I've been working in the retail bike business I've had the chance to ride and own a LOT of high-quality bicycles. Out of all the choices available, I own 4 Steelmans and 1 pre-Trek Bontrager. Here's why:

-My first Steelman was a 58cm SR 525. As with any new bike, as I was building it I was looking closely for faults or problems (which I couldn't find), and I was slightly pessimistic before my first ride. That lasted about 30 seconds : ). The handling was spot-on, it fit perfectly, and felt perfectly stable without giving up any road feel or feeling dead. I tried my hardest to make it squirm by taking bad lines through sketchy corners going too fast, but it tracked through anything without a twitch.

-During the ordering and frame-building process, Brent was always available to answer questions and give me an update on the progress. Customer service gets a 10.

-I've ridien and raced the bike for 3 years now, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, still. It hasn't softened up or gotten "whippy", and the paint still looks like new. The only reason I might want to replace it is to get a different color.

-Since buying the Stage Race, I've also purchased a Euro-Cross, Manzanita, and a Signature track frame from Steelman. The customer service, build quality, and ride quality has been consistently excellent.

All in all, I can't praise these frames enough. Like I said above, I can ride anything I want, but I choose Steelman above all others.

Purchased At:   Direct from Steelman

Similar Products Used:   Serotta, Pinarello, Sanino, Lemond, Litespeed, many others.

Bike Setup:   Steelman SR 525, Steelman stem, Campy Record 10spd groupo, Chris King headset, Time TiMag Equipe Pro pedals, Corima Aero carbon wheelset, Tufo HCC sew-ups, San Marco ERA saddle.

Submitted by Frank a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great attention to detail
Powdercoating looks great
Ride quality is wonderful
Flawless welds

Great value

Bottom Line:
I have long wanted a Steelman, but never managed to buy one. I recently found this one in like new condition with less than 100 miles on it at a great price ($475 w/new Ultegra headset and bottom bracket). The wait was well worth it! The welds are absolutely flawless, and the powdercoated metallic blue paint looks like wet paint...very nice. The Steelman builds up very nicely and easily as the alignment and frame construction details are spot on accurate. The Steelman is a perfect all-around road bike...stable on descents, quick on sprints, smooth on long straights, and not a liability on hills. Brent Steelman seems to have put the same quality and design that he puts into his SR 853 top end frame and fork into the SR 525, but at a lower price. I only wish I had bought a Steelman years ago!

Purchased At:   roadbikereview class

Similar Products Used:   Many different bikes: Merckx TSX, Litespeed Ultimate, Tommasini SLX, LeMond Zurich, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 9 speed, Thomson seat post, Specialized BG saddle, 3T stem, Mavic Open pro wheels

Submitted by Steve a Road Racer from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Finish, beautiful welds, cust service from Steelman & LBS

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Outstanding value for what you get. There is no compromise on quality or finish compared to the SR. The carbon fork option is a nice addition. The bike does not feel that stiff and the ride is smooth as glass. There is some break in with the campy parts. Overall I've been very satisfied. Right after my first ride I sent a note saying how much I enjoyed the bike to the Steelman info email address (on steelmancycles.com) and received a personal reply from Brent. Try that with Trek and see where it gets you.