Home | Reviews | Frames | Surly

Surly Pacer Frames

4.75/5 (24 Reviews)

It isn’tThe fastest or lightest bike you’ll ever ride, butThen again, it isn’tTryingTo be.This frame was designed as an all-day bike, which means comfort and reliability.The 4130TIG-welded frame and brazed fork are designedToTakeThe edge offThe bumps and cracks inThe road, but remain laterally stiff forThose out-of-the-saddle sprints and climbs.The understated beauty ofThis bike allows youTo ride it without worrying what you look like. Lycra fullTeam kit? Sure. Cutoff jeans, sl

Submitted by Robbie B

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2015

Strengths:    Great Ride

Weaknesses:    Er?

Bottom Line:
Picked up a 52cm Pacer frameset in Sparkleboogie Blue from Charlie the Bikemonger for a build for UK winter.

Was dubious about the Surly own brand 4130 tubes as I ride a custom built Dedacciai Zero Replica summer bike.

The Surly is now my summer machine. No way am I fitting mudguards (fenders), it's too nice a bike.

Honestly, on UK 'tarmac' (i.e. poor surfaced roads) It rides better than my made to measure steel frame that cost four times as much.

It's heavy but not massively so. I built it with 11 speed 105, Hope Hubs from the UK and Open Pros. Brooks Swift, Thomson seat post and some ITM bars and stem. Chris King headset as a treat.

Comfortable, fast, and looks cool.

Love it. Now I want a Steamroller too.

Submitted by Porkchop a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2015

Strengths:    Strong Steel frame. Frame fits Fat tires up to 32mm. Total old school road bike that will handle big fat boys like me without crying for relief.

Weaknesses:    Frame is a bit heavy. But so am I. It Could use a better paint scheme. Mine came in powder coat black so it is tough but boring.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Surly frame in 2005 and I have logged 40000 miles on it. I built the bike from frame up using parts that I bought separately for the job. I have gone thru 3 or 4 wheels and I am on my third brifter set. The Frame is still like new. (except for some scratches) . I weigh 250 pounds and this bike is plenty tough enough to handle that kind of punishment everyday. I run Mavic open pro wheels and brooks b17 saddle. I have crashed and burned at least 3-4 times but the frame is still going strong. In the winter it fits fenders nice and rain rides are possible with maximum comfort. In Southern California you ride all year long and this bike loves to be on the road. I love the brake cable that runs on the top of the top tube. I use it as bike bell that has a beautiful loud ringing tone when plucked. This bike will make you stand out in a crowd. This rider is 62 years old.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride

Similar Products Used:   Trek Mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Mavic open pro 32 spoke wheels
105 9 speed brifters
ultegra 9 speed octolink crank triple
28 mm tires with fenders in the rainy season
Sram 9 speed cassette 12-26
Brooks honey b-17 Saddle (bought from Sheldon Brown)

Submitted by lamar jackson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2015

Strengths:    Strong, sturdy, smooth, geometry, heavy, classic design,

Weaknesses:    No brazeons , oh heavy

Bottom Line:
this is actually the best overall bike I've owned. I'm an ex power lifter and I have not experience any flex. The bike is super smooth I love that I don't have to get up when I see imperfections in the road. The bike is plenty quick plenty stiff although I admit it takes a while to get it up to speed because of how heavy it is but once it gets to rolling it just runs very smooth. I have had many bikes steel aluminum and carbon this have to be the best bike I have ever owned. It makes you want to keep on riding for some odd reason and I hate to put it down maybe it's the geometry or the smooth feel. I thought about other bikes such as soma or bikes in that price range but I like this bike because it is heavy and I feel extremely confident in riding it. I would not mind taking it on the expressway. out of all the bikes I have this is definitely my go-to bike.

Favorite Ride:   any given Sunday

Bike Setup:   shimano 105 groupo, aksium wheels

Submitted by Vinh Ho a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    Stable, solid, reasonably priced, user-friendly, and affordable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
All-around great classic steel frame road bike which is fun to ride around the city. Looks good, does it's job, and makes you want to get back on it the next day.

You can't go wrong with this model if you're looking to get into biking or yearn for the days when you fell in love with biking because riding brought a smile to your face.

Favorite Ride:   Twin City streets

Purchased At:   Upgrade Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Soma Smoothie

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano 105s, Velocity Deep-V wheelset.

Submitted by ArkyKenny

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    Steel is real for the real world. If you are not a racer, a relaxed geometry steel frame makes sense for so many reasons.

Weaknesses:    I wish they would add braze on's on the rear down tube, and make the top tube brake cable on the bottom of the tube, or madeit to run in a housing on the side of the top tube (internal routing would be great, but expensive, so I'm not asking for that)

Bottom Line:
Perfect for me. I'm a 47 yo 6'2" 215# dude who used to be pretty fast. Now I ride 30-60 miles at a time thru Arkansas' rolling hills, and do an occasional century. I built my 2010 Surly Pacer up with some Easton Circuit wheels, and FSA compact double, and 8 speed stuff I had. Right now it's got 700c x 25 slicks on, but I also have some 32 mm touring tires that work fine too. It weighs about 23 lbs using mid-level reliable and affordable componenets. I've sold my carbon fiber Specialized Roubaix and this is my only road bike. I could not be happier. It's smooth, fast, comfortable, rigid in the right way, etc. Steel IS real--I forgot that for awhile, but I won't do it again. Some posts talk about a "flexy" crank/bottom bracket--I have not found that to be true (and I've looked for it). I wish 1) the top brake cable was under the top tube, or in a housing , and 2) it had braze-ons on the rear down tube, so I could put a small rack on wihtout using those rubber coated clamps. I am only a few months into this one, but this is probably my long term main ride. TWSS :)

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!