Home | Reviews | Frames | Surly

Surly Pacer Frames

4.71/5 (21 Reviews)

It isn’tThe fastest or lightest bike you’ll ever ride, butThen again, it isn’tTryingTo be.This frame was designed as an all-day bike, which means comfort and reliability.The 4130TIG-welded frame and brazed fork are designedToTakeThe edge offThe bumps and cracks inThe road, but remain laterally stiff forThose out-of-the-saddle sprints and climbs.The understated beauty ofThis bike allows youTo ride it without worrying what you look like. Lycra fullTeam kit? Sure. Cutoff jeans, sl

Submitted by Vinh Ho a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    Stable, solid, reasonably priced, user-friendly, and affordable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
All-around great classic steel frame road bike which is fun to ride around the city. Looks good, does it's job, and makes you want to get back on it the next day.

You can't go wrong with this model if you're looking to get into biking or yearn for the days when you fell in love with biking because riding brought a smile to your face.

Favorite Ride:   Twin City streets

Purchased At:   Upgrade Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Soma Smoothie

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano 105s, Velocity Deep-V wheelset.

Submitted by ArkyKenny

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    Steel is real for the real world. If you are not a racer, a relaxed geometry steel frame makes sense for so many reasons.

Weaknesses:    I wish they would add braze on's on the rear down tube, and make the top tube brake cable on the bottom of the tube, or madeit to run in a housing on the side of the top tube (internal routing would be great, but expensive, so I'm not asking for that)

Bottom Line:
Perfect for me. I'm a 47 yo 6'2" 215# dude who used to be pretty fast. Now I ride 30-60 miles at a time thru Arkansas' rolling hills, and do an occasional century. I built my 2010 Surly Pacer up with some Easton Circuit wheels, and FSA compact double, and 8 speed stuff I had. Right now it's got 700c x 25 slicks on, but I also have some 32 mm touring tires that work fine too. It weighs about 23 lbs using mid-level reliable and affordable componenets. I've sold my carbon fiber Specialized Roubaix and this is my only road bike. I could not be happier. It's smooth, fast, comfortable, rigid in the right way, etc. Steel IS real--I forgot that for awhile, but I won't do it again. Some posts talk about a "flexy" crank/bottom bracket--I have not found that to be true (and I've looked for it). I wish 1) the top brake cable was under the top tube, or in a housing , and 2) it had braze-ons on the rear down tube, so I could put a small rack on wihtout using those rubber coated clamps. I am only a few months into this one, but this is probably my long term main ride. TWSS :)

Submitted by tacreamer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2012

Strengths:    A do all frame, race on it, tour on it, commute on it or ride off-road on it, this lass does it all!

Weaknesses:    Just the stock fork that came on my frame (a 2007), recently Surly has introduced a new fork the will truly fit a 28 mm tire and a fender and I plan on buying one to update my trusty steed.

Bottom Line:
This bike is like that old tool you keep on coming back too after trying all the new gadgets, it just works.

I've used this bike initially for randonneuring for two seasons including a successful 1200k in France. Never was there a worry about this stout frame breaking on me, unlike my carbon bikes (nothing like a nagging worry of your frame busting to ruin a ride) so all of my efforts were put forth on the long rides ahead.

After not riding my Pacer for 6 months (riding my go really fast bikes instead) a friend suggested doing a gnarly backroad gravel grinder so I choose the Pacer and road. And O what a ride every bit as predictable and comfortable as I had remembered.
I soon converted the Pacer to a 650b bike to enable using fatter tires and fenders (38mm tires) and how sweet it is.
I now use it almost daily for my commute to work, a most pleasant way to start and end my day. And if the urge to ride the long steep gravely way back home beckons, I'll do just that with no hesitations.

The only downside to my bike, a 2007, is the fork. I could get a 700 X 25mm tire and a fender to work but not the 28mm tire the Surly website promises. For 2012, Surly has redesigned the fork to truly fit a 700 X 28mm tire, I plan on upgrading to that and reconverting it back to a 700c bike.

Purchased At:   Excel Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Soma Double Cross, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Litespeed Classic, Pedal force full carbon wonder bike.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components, Mavic Open Pro rims.

Submitted by grillman403 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    Very comfy ride!!!

Weaknesses:    I wish the brake cable routing was along side the top tube and that they would clear coat the frame so the decals won't come off. It's too nice a frame not to do the extra details.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Pacer through QBP as a frame and built it up with 9 speed Ultegra. I have an FSA Gosomer compact crankset. I have ridden for two years now and it has become my favorite bike (better than my Lemond). I use it for commuting and club riding in the Finger Lakes region of New York State where there a short steep hills. I found the bike to be very stable on descents and a wonderful climbing machine. It reminds me of my 1980's Bianchi. I weigh about 200 pounds and I found the bike has a little flex in the bottom bracket, but I like that in a frame.

Similar Products Used:   Soma Smoothie ES

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 9 speed with 36 spoke wheels and a Terry FLX Carbon saddle. The frame is a 58 cm.

Submitted by yamura a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Component compatibility, fine handling, smooth ride, that go-all-day feel to it.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I got this frame for training and fitted it with 105 parts & wheels off another bike + an ancient Brooks Pro saddle. Although not advertised as a race bike, its geometry and handling are very reminiscent of a '70s vintage race bike. Weight as equipped above is about 22 lbs. The welds are smooth, nice workmanship, and everything fit although the 105 rear brake was at the absolute outer limit of its travel. It rides smoothly, handles intuitively and took no getting used to.

Similar Products Used:   It reminds me a lot of a warhorse of a '74 Frejus I used to have.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 components except for an Ultegra RD, Cannondale C3 bars, C4 stem, C2 seat post, Brooks Pro saddle, Shimano RH-561 wheels, Maxxis Fuse 700 X 23 tires.

Allez Steel vs Surly Pacer

I really hate saying versus but for regular, non competitive, riding what makes the better bike? I have a Pacer frameset at home. From what I can see they're pretty close. The big difference is the Pacer can take some pretty fat tires.Read More »

My Pacer for your CC. 54cm

Title pretty much says it all. I have a 2008 Pacer I would like to trade for a Cross-Check. Its a 54cm frame, black, mint. I'm interested in just trading frame and fork, but I am open to the idea of trading complete bikes. i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/sachase/2011-11-06_12-06-19_243.jpg?t=1320 ... Read More »

Surly Pacer vs. older steel frame??

Loved the '98 schwinn peleton I sold a couple winters ago. Currently on a Scandium Salsa Campe'on. I'd like to get another steel frame from CL or ebay etc. I've seen Surly Pacer, and Soma frames in budget priced new steel. Also lots of old 531 Treks and tons of older Italians in a price range can ... Read More »

Surly Pacer complete. About to order.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Surly Pacer complete. I'm fine with the stock Tiagra components. Rest are cheesy componets, but I'm not looking for anything fancy. For a grand, can't think of another bike I'd rather get for the price. I know she ain't no light-weight, but neither is my Steamr ... Read More »