Home | Reviews | Frames | Surly

Surly Steamroller Frames

4.67/5 (15 Reviews)

The Steamroller is an awesome fixed gear frameThats perfect for commuting, fitness riding, or just knocking around. But dont be fooled byThe low price - its aTrack legal frameThat is ready forThe velodrome,Too. SPECIFICATIONS 4130 chromoly frame and fork Horizontal dropoutsTo easily adjust chainTension Accepts 1 1/8" headset, 27.2mm post (includes Surly seatpost clamp) and 68mm BB Handles upTo 700 x 38cTire Front fork and seatstay bridge are drilledTo accept brakes in case you de

Submitted by John a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    Very responsive and accelartes like crazy!

Weaknesses:    I was a little bit dissappointed with the size of tyres that fit in the fork/frame. It mentions "FFF" (fits fat tyres), however it only fits max 38 which I don't consider fat coming from a MTB background.

Bottom Line:
I am a mountainbiker by heart and never liked road bikes or road riding. For commuting I started with my MTB with a different wheel set, but parts weared out very fast (lot's of rain in The Netherlands). So basically I started with riding fixed because of less maintenance and I was curious about the feeling. I'm addicted now! This is my first dedicated fixed gear bike and it ride mucg better than the old road bike I converted. Especially acceleration is super (likely due to the relative short chainstay).

Similar Products Used:   Old road bike converted to fixed gear

Bike Setup:   Standard parts, both front and back brake for safety, replcaed the bar for an old MTB bar.

Submitted by Emile a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry is sweet
Comfortable !
Build quality

Bottom Line:
Been riding fixed for 3 years and a half. started out with a conversion and then a real fixed gear (SE piece of crap that folded on itself after an accident).
After I totalled my SE I decided to buy a used steamroller frame. The difference in ride quality is amazing! I ride it on the bigger side (59cm) with a fairly short stem and it feels perfect. It's very predictable and dampens a lot of road feel. I daily commute with it (6-7 miles) and sometimes I take it for longer 20-35 mile rides. It performs well!
Hipster might want to trick it as I sometimes amuse myself with a couple wheelies between classes. Quality frame (I'm reviewing the frame only)

Purchased At:   Craigist

Similar Products Used:   Peugot conversion, SE draft (do not get!), Merciers, jamis's

Bike Setup:   WTB seat (recommend)
Julian 50mm wheelset (heavy but solid)
Chris king headset
Truvativ cranks (recomment the multi splines vs the traditional square spindle)
Short Race face stem with big bars (F_ck hipsters, I care about my shoulders and wrist)
Landing gear fork

Submitted by Jason Barton a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly inexpensive, excellent geometry splits the difference between a road bike and a track bike, has classy looks, steel rides pretty nice.

Weaknesses:    In my opinion, the parts spec on the complete bike keeps getting worse and the price is going up. Since the 2008 and earlier models, the gear ratio has become way too low, Sugino cranks have been replaced by generic Andel cranks and for 2011 the bike will have even lower(44-19) gearing and upright handlebars. Its seems to be changing from a quick fixed gear into a beach cruiser!

Bottom Line:
For years the frameset has basically been the same with the exception of colors and its great for its intended use of fixed on the street with occasional trips to the track. It handles quickly but not twitchy. Its a well rounded setup.

Favorite Ride:   Mountains to Sea Trail

Purchased At:   A Road Bike 4U

Similar Products Used:   Tons of fixed gear bikes from 90's Cannondale Track, GT GTB, Vivalo NJS, Bianchi Pista, Specialized Langster, etc.

Bike Setup:   Box Stock

Submitted by gaeruot a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, durable, great handling, price, reputation

Weaknesses:    The color could be better but It kinda does grow on you. (I think another reviewer described it best when they said 'bloody stool' color)

Bottom Line:
Have been riding fixed for a couple years now (on a 70's schwinn conversion) Tried out the steamroller at a bike shop and fell in love with it! Bought it for 666$ as a complete bike NEW. It rides unlike any other bike I have tried, incredibly smooth and fast with great handling. It lives up to its name as it is very durable and can tackle a lot of obstacles

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere!

Purchased At:   Local SF bike store

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale fixed, vintage schwinn conversion

Bike Setup:   Added welgo track pedals and continental gatorskin tires. Plan to get rid of the drop bar and replace the stem in the future.

Submitted by Martyn a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    Ride Quality, 2008 frame, so it's good value, snappy handling, good geometry.

Weaknesses:    None yet:)

Bottom Line:
Ok, I'm predominantly a downhill mountain biker, but I have to say NO product has inspired me to write a review until I bought this! I'm no roadie thats for sure, and am used to riding significantly heavier bikes, so it does amuse me that other reviewers describe this as heavy...it's freakin light and it's STEEL, and it cranks, period, i'm completely addicted to riding fixies, and my legs now get a proper workout, so maybe the extra "weight" will do me some good..it handles nice and snappy, and has that springy ride quality that only steel can provide at a cheap price, a great product, i'm flying up and down hills..and getting many happy miles..just rode thru Melbourne, and some geezer shouted out "FIXIE" with a big smile on his face!! felt like I joined some new subculture!!!!!

Favorite Ride:   Surly Steamroller