Torelli Imports Countach OS Frames

The Countach is made of a proprietary selection of Columbus Brain tubing. The three main tubes are Cyclex, drawn oversize, with a 0.5mm wall. The rear triangle is 25CRMo4.
  • Sizes, measured center to center: 46, 48, 50, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 60, 62, 63, 64.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by two_wheels a Recreational Rider from Bowie, MD USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, solid ride. Stability seems never to be at issue. Resilient ride.
    Italian and handmade. Affordable, but without a cost in the perfomance
    department. Gorgeous paint/decals. You get to spec it.

Weaknesses:    Weight, maybe, though it's not been too much of a factor for the riding I do.

Bottom Line:
    As a devotee to steel, I found the Torelli Countach OS to be an excellent choice for me,
    an average recreational rider. I don't kid myself or others about my riding abilities, but I will
    say that it's no exaggeration that this bike lets me shine in many ways. My bike is a 1997
    54cm model. While it may be a bit heavier than other comparably equipped rides, I have
    found it to be a smooth, stable ride, and, for me at 145 lbs., not a bad climbing bike.

For my genuine and aesthetic needs, I wanted a handmade Italian bike that I could afford.
    This bike allows me that, with a beautiful paint job (Imron) and classic lines. I've done long
    tours and local club rides with no problems, and maintenance has been minimal...just the
    stuff you'd expect.

I'll be hanging on to this bike and its existing components as they're in great shape; maybe a new
    wheelset in the near term, but nothing else really. If I were to
    get another bike down the line, I might try the newer version of the Countach--with its upgraded
    tubing NEMO/747 or perhaps the Torelli Express Carbon for a slightly different feel. Either way,
    Torelli offers considerable value in my view. A great bike at a great price

Favorite Ride:   Davidsonville--Galesville Loop

Purchased At:   Bike Line of Glen Bu

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   The price quoted above is for the complete
    bike as I spec'ed it. Mix of '97 Campy
    Athena and '98 Chorus (upgrade to 9-speed);
    Mavic Open Pro rims, Conti GP3000 tires;
    Modolo Bar/Stem; Look pedals/shoes.

Submitted by Jesse Smith a Recreational Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    Durability, price, classic lugged construction, paint, details.

Weaknesses:    Weight, flexy

Bottom Line:
    The geometry about perfect for me. I weight 140 lbs, am 5'7" and have long arms. Even at this weight, the frame still has some flex on hard climbs. On the flats, it perfectly comfortable.
    I like the details like a chain hanger, having the cable hangers on the top tube, pump peg, and drain slots at the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. The lugs are pretty without being overly ornate.
    I do sometimes envy lighter bikes. There steel tubes out there that are lighter than Brain, but durability shouldn't ever be a concern. I did switch out the original Brain fork for a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. It was a shame to have to remove the original threaded headset with the TTT Synthesis stem. It is one of the nicest units made.
    My hands prefer a Cinelli Eubios bar to the TTT Forma that came with the bike.
    The wheels were Ambrosio Master 32 hole rims with 14 gauge spokes. These are heavy wheels that have never seen a spoke wrench in two years.
    The Dupont Imron paint has held up perfectly. No sign of cracking for fading. I'd definitely get another Torelli, but I would probably look for a lighter and stiffer steel frame.

Favorite Ride:   Gates Pass