Home | Reviews | Frames | TST

TST Titanium Road Frame Frames

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Ovalized and Curved Chainstays. Tapered and Curved Seat Stays. Bi-ovalized Downtube. Brushed Satin Finish. Downtube Mounted Shifter Mounts. Ti-6-4 Machined Dropouts. 3.2lb.

Submitted by pseudo world a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    The ride reminded me of a steel rd bike I had many years ago when I was bike messenger. It is plush yet not flexi, and handles rough roads well. Used to race crits an a Cannondale, which was stiff but harsh. After a few rides, noticed the less punishing ride of ti.

Weaknesses:    Not as stiff as alum, but a worthy trade off for a longer lasting bike.

Bottom Line:
I brought the frame to replace an aging alum/carb frame. After riding and racing on a ti mt bike for 7yrs, and still using the bike to commute(99 Airborne), decided to try a ti rd bike. The price was unbelievable, and after some research, decided to purchase it. Build quality is first rate.

Favorite Ride:   montrose

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez, Cannondale, Scattante

Bike Setup:   Sram Rival, Ritchey carbon fork, alum seatpost and stem, Selle Italia gel seat, and Mavic Cosmos wheels

Submitted by Mr Roo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Outstanding performance, durability and comfort. It looks like a $5K bike without the splashy paint-job and advertising.

Weaknesses:    The rear drop-out requires you to remove the skewer to take off the back wheel (also a good safety factor!)

Bottom Line:
The frame came at exactly 3.2 lbs out of the box (54cm). There were many options available, and for durability, ride comfort and style (plain without graphic) the TST was the best value money can buy. The frame size was a little large for me, however the small adjustments have made it fit like a glove. The ride is exceptional, and for a frame that doesn't scratch/dent or break, I am totally convinced Ti is the way to go. It climbs extremely well - with a little flex in the BB. Downhill it goes like a rocket ship. Over long rides (Centuries etc) soaks up the road well. I used a full carbon fork (Reynolds Ouzo), and carbon seatpost. I have switched out the bike out for Triathlon as well and completed Ironman. It did very well on the course as a roadbike/come Tri bike. My latest investment to the bike was a set of Carbon Pro-lite Gavia wheels. Its a serious machine now!

Favorite Ride:   San Diego

Purchased At:   Direct from TST

Bike Setup:   Full carbon Fork, seatpost and stem. Ultegra/9 Sp. Carbon cranks/Look Keo pedals. Pro-LITE Gavia Tubular wheels.

Submitted by wheeltitan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    price, quality, durability.

Weaknesses:    1" headtube a little tougher to find parts for. Down tube mounted shifters but this can be adapted.

Bottom Line:
This review if for the circa 2005 frame with bi-ovalized down tube, curved seat stays and 1" headset. I enjoy riding hard and fast and was looking for a lively, efficient, durable frame. Titanium seemed like the right material and I am glad I found this frame. As others have said the welds and precision of the frame appear to be of high quality. Perfect really. Someone must have had a very steady hand. It's not quite as lively as my steel Basso, but it's close. The difference is that when I jump on the pedals, the bike seems to enjoy it as much as I do and it takes off. Because of this I find I often like to chase cars on flats or pound over small hills without losing momentum and I usually feel like I want more after the end of a ride. Sometimes, however, for more moderate sustained efforts I don't feel as if it's as efficient but this might very well be me. As for stability on descents, it is very sure, but I suspect this has more to do with headtube angle, fork rake, and rider technique. I can't say how this frame compares to other titanium frames, but given it's beafy downtube and chainstays I suspect it is stiffer than those with more standard size tubing in these areas. I love the simplicity of a frame which rides great, is fatigue resistant, and isn't not littered with logos and paint to peel or chip and ultimately it makes me want to ride all the time.

Favorite Ride:   warm with a cool breeze

Purchased At:   titaniumsports.com

Similar Products Used:   old steel Basso with Campy Chorus

Bike Setup:   Campy Chorus, Ouzo Comp forks.

Submitted by WheresWaldo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    Titanium
Built by TST in Kent, WA
Standard geometry
Good looks
No need for frame prep

Weaknesses:    Limited fork choices by 1" head tube
Had to perform some surgery on head tube

Bottom Line:
Just completed building this frame into a full Ultegra Triple. All I can say is that this is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. The welds are superb and the finsish of the frame is good. Everything is straight and there is little need for frame preperation to build this into a really nice bike.

There is one caveat. The frame ws designed for a fork that has 362mm blade length. so most of todays forks will raise the front end 3mm. It was also designed for a lower headset stacked height of 11.5mm, this may or may not be a problem, for example a Chris King NoThreadSet has a lower stack height of 12.9mm. I fixed mine by removing 4mm from the bottom of the head tube. Everything worked out perfect.

In the past I had ridden some early Merlin Titanium bikes and felt like they were mushy, very flexible in the bottom bracket area. The TST is certainly stiffer in that area. But with a good carbon fork and the titanium frame it is a very compliant ride.

Geometry is traditional, with a parallel top tube and very conservative angles. It responds well to steering input without being twitchy. It is very stable rolling at high speeds.

My current bike is a Klein Quantum Elite Dura-Ace from 1989. It has served me well but is very stiff and uncomfortable on really long rides. Titanium is certainly a much more comfortable ride and I was able to get the fit I needed with proper selection of parts.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outf

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Titanium
Klein Quantum Elite

Bike Setup:   TST Titanium Frame 56cm
Full Ultegra Triple

Submitted by c722061 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Titanium smoothness. Lighter than most steel frames and cheap aluminums. Affordable compares with other boutique Titanium frames.

Weaknesses:    Sans graphics. A little porky.

Bottom Line:
I own several bikes with different frame materials. From experiences with good Trek steel frame to Specialized S-Works to Cannondale CAAD7 frames, I say this frame is very comfortable and fast. I decked it out with 105 double group, Chris King headset and Profile Design carbon fork, the bike weights in at 18 1/2 lbs with pedal so it is not that heavy. I use this bike for all sort of rides and I would say it is comfortable for century rides. I ride a lot on not well-paved roads and this bike just mutes out all high frequency vibrations. It also tracks so well with Profile Design fork (43 rake)that I could take corner real fast. I'll say it is better handling than my Specialize S-Works. So if you want try out Titanium with out breaking your bank than I recommend it.

Purchased At:   ebay