Giant Escape 2 Commuter Bike

4.5/5 (18 Reviews)

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

Submitted by Benjamin

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2015

Strengths:    Bang for the Buck, comfort, all around riding capability, smooth click button shifting.

Weaknesses:    So far Zero and I've had the bike for 6 months.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Giants Escape City. It's pretty much identical to an Escape 2 with fenders and a rear rack for panniers. I bought this bike for a 24 mile a day round trip commute to work and back. Having not ridden a bike in over 15 years I had no idea or clue what I needed. With a little reseach I decided on the City Escape model because it came with the Pannier rack and fenders, and boy on boy I am glad I did. This Bike has been a dream come true and has been everything I wanted and more. I highly recommend this bike to anyone one who is looking to commute to work or just ride around your town checking out the sights and sounds. A+

Submitted by Jbyd

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2015

Strengths:    Did some research on other more expensive brands. My Giant Escape 2 is by far the best value. I love this bike. I ride about 400 miles a month for fitness. This bike has exceeded all of my expectations. I am 6'5 and the XL fits me perfectly. I had some chain chatter up front and experienced some phantom shifting in the rear after about 100 miles. My LBS quickly took care of this it appears that the new cables stretch a bit. Riding this bike is quiet and effortless. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good value on a dependable bike. I have put approximately 700 miles on since my purchase and have had no other issues.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of...I keep my drive train clean and lubricated and have had no problems. The bike shifts perfectly and the bike is a dream to ride.

Bottom Line:
I almost pulled the trigger on one of the higher priced competitors. My brother suggested I try Giant. I am glad I did. I love it!!

Submitted by greg3674 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2015

Strengths:    Surprisingly light, XL frame is perfect for 6'2" me, looks good without being flashy, great value for commuting and just enjoyable evening / weekend riding. The stock seat is comfy enough for 30min rides when wearing bike shorts.

Weaknesses:    On one particular bump during my rides, the rear shifter jumps between gears - for example, I'm on the 5th, and when I hit the bump while pedalling it'll shift to 4th for a moment and then back to 5th, all by itself. It's very brief - a second or so - and only on the one bump. Oh, and the handlebar isn't same-size from center to grips (it's fat in the stem clamp area and tapers down to normal after an inch or two). While it looks nice, it makes attaching stuff like lamps and computers tricky because you have to avoid the zone where it tapers - either clamp on the fat side, or the normal side. You lose an inch of useable bar area because of that.

Bottom Line:
I have a 15-year-old mountain bike (Gary Fisher Big Sur) and a 14-year-old road bike (Cannondale R600), and as great as those bikes are, they suck as casual rides or commuters.

So I managed to justify spending $507 (after taxes) on the Escape 2 in XL. Originally I was going to get the Escape 3 at a different store, but a 10%-OFF sale at Fresh Air made it more sensible to get the Escape 2. There were only two XL-size bikes left in the city, so that was the end of my choices in July!

So far, the bike is stock - I just added a Velo 7 computer and a set of Torch lights. I tend not to swap parts out unless they're totally awful or broken. So, keeping grips and pedals and seat as-is for now. Being a commuter, I don't see myself changing to SPD pedals anyways.

First ride on the bike felt weird - the bike (XL size, remember) is HUGE compared to either the mtb or roadie. But it's fast and very manageable. The shifting is good, the stock tires aren't noisy, and there's no rattles from cable housings.

I've done a few rides on it so far, and I like it quite a bit - especially considering the price that I paid for it. Hopefully it'll be just as good after 1000km. And by 2500km, it'll have paid for itself since my truck uses a lot of fuel to get me to work and home! This Escape 2 should do the same job AND have the benefit of shedding my fat.

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Experience

Submitted by jonathan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2015

Strengths:    light weight bike at 11.4 kilos , looks cool , nice matt black with blue , cables in the frame is a nice touch , brakes that stop you and the bike , good tyres for city use , good bike to potter along the road but can go fast when you want to

Weaknesses:    the Altus shifter isnt very good , when i am in gear 7 /8 i can hear a grinding noise , great in 6 but upper erhhhhh

Bottom Line:
Good light weight bike for the money , I payed 425 euros which i thought was ok , the bike shop ( la roulle Giant dist in Nice ) set up the bike well and only had to go back the next day to ask what I had to do to get a bike that worked , lots of shoulders up and down and the fixed the problem of grinding gears in 7/8 but it came back. They sid if it kept up they would change for deo shimano or talk to giant , i did suggest talking to shimano , i dont know if they would or not

Purchased At:   La Roulle Nice franc

Submitted by al a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Cheap components, shifting is pretty bad

Bottom Line:
I will not recommended

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!