Giant Escape 2 Commuter Bike

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

Submitted by greg3674 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2015

Strengths:    Surprisingly light, XL frame is perfect for 6'2" me, looks good without being flashy, great value for commuting and just enjoyable evening / weekend riding. The stock seat is comfy enough for 30min rides when wearing bike shorts.

Weaknesses:    On one particular bump during my rides, the rear shifter jumps between gears - for example, I'm on the 5th, and when I hit the bump while pedalling it'll shift to 4th for a moment and then back to 5th, all by itself. It's very brief - a second or so - and only on the one bump. Oh, and the handlebar isn't same-size from center to grips (it's fat in the stem clamp area and tapers down to normal after an inch or two). While it looks nice, it makes attaching stuff like lamps and computers tricky because you have to avoid the zone where it tapers - either clamp on the fat side, or the normal side. You lose an inch of useable bar area because of that.

Bottom Line:
I have a 15-year-old mountain bike (Gary Fisher Big Sur) and a 14-year-old road bike (Cannondale R600), and as great as those bikes are, they suck as casual rides or commuters.

So I managed to justify spending $507 (after taxes) on the Escape 2 in XL. Originally I was going to get the Escape 3 at a different store, but a 10%-OFF sale at Fresh Air made it more sensible to get the Escape 2. There were only two XL-size bikes left in the city, so that was the end of my choices in July!

So far, the bike is stock - I just added a Velo 7 computer and a set of Torch lights. I tend not to swap parts out unless they're totally awful or broken. So, keeping grips and pedals and seat as-is for now. Being a commuter, I don't see myself changing to SPD pedals anyways.

First ride on the bike felt weird - the bike (XL size, remember) is HUGE compared to either the mtb or roadie. But it's fast and very manageable. The shifting is good, the stock tires aren't noisy, and there's no rattles from cable housings.

I've done a few rides on it so far, and I like it quite a bit - especially considering the price that I paid for it. Hopefully it'll be just as good after 1000km. And by 2500km, it'll have paid for itself since my truck uses a lot of fuel to get me to work and home! This Escape 2 should do the same job AND have the benefit of shedding my fat.

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Experience

Submitted by jonathan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2015

Strengths:    light weight bike at 11.4 kilos , looks cool , nice matt black with blue , cables in the frame is a nice touch , brakes that stop you and the bike , good tyres for city use , good bike to potter along the road but can go fast when you want to

Weaknesses:    the Altus shifter isnt very good , when i am in gear 7 /8 i can hear a grinding noise , great in 6 but upper erhhhhh

Bottom Line:
Good light weight bike for the money , I payed 425 euros which i thought was ok , the bike shop ( la roulle Giant dist in Nice ) set up the bike well and only had to go back the next day to ask what I had to do to get a bike that worked , lots of shoulders up and down and the fixed the problem of grinding gears in 7/8 but it came back. They sid if it kept up they would change for deo shimano or talk to giant , i did suggest talking to shimano , i dont know if they would or not

Purchased At:   La Roulle Nice franc

Submitted by al a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Cheap components, shifting is pretty bad

Bottom Line:
I will not recommended

Submitted by marc7654 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2015

Strengths:    Good general purpose bike.

Weaknesses:    Could maybe use better tires.

Bottom Line:
I purchased an Escape 1 in 2013 to commute to work. The 1 does have 9 speeds over the 8 speeds of the Escape 2 and a carbon front fork. The group set on the 1 is a little better but most aren't likely to notice any real differences. All of the Escape models, except the RX composite, allow for rear rack mounting. The 2 and 3 models also have facility to mount a front fork rack . Any of the Escape models make a fantastic commuter or first bike. I regularly used mine on longer 20 + mile easy rides and even in hills. The Escape line makes a fantastic general purpose bike. The stock seat is fairly good too. I did put 28mm road tires on mine and it does ride a bit easier than with the stock 32mm treaded tires. A set of 28mm 4 season tires would be perfect.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Submitted by Jim Blue a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2015

Strengths:    Great value for the money. Quality and durable bicycle

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Giant Escape 2 in early spring of 2013 as a second bicycle to my road bike. I needed to upgrade my hybrid bicycle for the local gravel railbed trail in our area. After riding it on the trail I purchased a set of road wheels and 700x28 road tires to commute to work. This past year, following surgery on my right hand, I road the Giant Escape as my primary bicycle after switching the brake cables and adding the aero bars. Over the late summer I rode 1000+ miles including a century ride in September and was able to hang with my friends on their road bikes. Highly recommend this bicycle for pleasure and even road riding.

Bike Setup:   Clipless pedals, ISM Century Saddle, Aero bars, Vuelta Zero-Lite Wheelset, Continental Gran Prix 4 Season Duraskin Clincher Tire - 700x28 (700x25 for Century Ride)