Giant Escape 2 Commuter Bike

4.73/5 (11 Reviews)

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

Submitted by practical a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2014

Strengths:    I have the Escape 1 which features a carbon composite fork and 9 speeds for about $150 more. The bike is very responsive, it accelerates well when I want it to. I have made several changes to it to make it more like a road bike and less like a trail or mountain bike. I changed the tires to a high pressure (115 psi) "28's", shortened and lowered the handlebars and added txoe clip pedals. I was thinking of putting on grip shifters but so far the trigger shifters have been fine. It goes fast enough and climbs well. It's not a road bike but stays with recreational road bikers easily. Giant seems to make a good frame to hang a variety of components on.

Weaknesses:    Pedals need to be replaced. Also, an annoying rattle that I have not been able to locate. Shorten handlebar if you want to ride it like a road bike.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for the price - about as nice a hybrid as you'll fine until you go all carbon.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Addison County

Purchased At:   Northstar Bike in Bu

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar Flatbar Road Bike

Bike Setup:   Large bike. 9 speed, trigger shifters, triple crank front.

Submitted by Bouy

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2014

Strengths:    Competitive price, light weight, smooth shifting, great breaks love this bike

Weaknesses:    Handle bars could be just a tad higher for comfort

Bottom Line:
I am a beginer biker bought this bike for commuting to work and excercise on the bike paths I am very impressed by how smooth this bad boy shifts , it's very light weight corners on a dime , I took it out for a 20mile ride straight from the store no problems so far. Giant may have a customer for life!

Submitted by Valerie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2014

Strengths:    smooth, fairly light, good ride

Weaknesses:    The gears break. My husband has the same model in mens, and both of our right gears have broken. Thankfully, they are covered under shimano warranty, but it's a pain to not have a bike and I'm concerned it will happen after the warranty runs up. Gears are also hard to shift. Often having to go back to previous gear and shift harder to get desired gear.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike, I keep up with road bikes and it's good for hauling kids too, but I am disappointed in the gears. I am not sure I would recommend this bike to anyone. I would recommend looking into a similar bike for a beginner cyclist who is on the fence about road cycling or casual cycling with more ease.

Submitted by BikeLover a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    Speed. Comfort. Reliability.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Giant Escape 2 on 1/09/13 and I have logged 256 miles on it ( 3 weeks ) and I love this bike! What I love most about it is how fast it goes. It has 700x32 tires on it but you can put thinner ones if you need to go even faster. I ride for fun, exercise, and for stress relief. I ride 300-400 miles a month. I sold my Giant Sedona ST ( another great bike ) and bought this because of how much I ride, the Sedona was great for a 26inch but this is even better, it’s more of a road bike which is what I wanted. I test rode the Cannondale Quick 6 and didn’t like it at all, it just didn’t feel right for me. I test rode the Escape 2 and loved it. Test ride the Giant Escape 2, I think you’ll love it too. I heard other cyclists say, even ones who own different brands, that Giant gives you more for your money. They sure did!

Favorite Ride:   Giant Escape 2

Purchased At:   McCully bicycle shop

Bike Setup:   Planet Bike Men's A.R.S. Anatomic Relief Bicycle Saddle, Arkon SM432 Mega Grip Bicycle and Motorcycle Mount for Smartphone, Diamondback Sound Pedal, Portland Design Works Danger Zone Tail Light, Planet Bike Blaze 2Watt LED Headlight, Mr. Tuffy Bicycle Tire Liner, Zefal Bicycle Rim Tape, Mirrycle Incredibell Original Bicycle Bell, Bell Dawn Patrol LED Headlight, Kryptonite Evo Mini-7 with 4-Foot Flex Lock, Ibera Bicycle Aluminum Bottle Cage, Camelbak Podium Big Chill 25 oz Bottle, Avenir Bigmouth Velcro Seat Bag (Medium- 55/73 Cubic Inches).

Submitted by mat a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, fast, comfortable, reliable

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike while on the road for work for an extended period, and I loved it so much that I shipped it home to use as my primary bike. Its low cost and yet brilliantly comfortable ride make it one of the best bargains on the market. Since 9/12 I have logged over 630 miles on my Giant Escape 2, and now that I've upgraded to a more costly road bike, this has become my urban commuter bike, replacing my KHS Urban Xpress, which isn't as fast or durable as my Giant. It was, without a doubt, the best $400 I have spent in my life. I love this bike!