Giant Escape 2 Commuter Bike

4.5/5 (14 Reviews)

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

Submitted by al a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Cheap components, shifting is pretty bad

Bottom Line:
I will not recommended

Submitted by marc7654 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2015

Strengths:    Good general purpose bike.

Weaknesses:    Could maybe use better tires.

Bottom Line:
I purchased an Escape 1 in 2013 to commute to work. The 1 does have 9 speeds over the 8 speeds of the Escape 2 and a carbon front fork. The group set on the 1 is a little better but most aren't likely to notice any real differences. All of the Escape models, except the RX composite, allow for rear rack mounting. The 2 and 3 models also have facility to mount a front fork rack . Any of the Escape models make a fantastic commuter or first bike. I regularly used mine on longer 20 + mile easy rides and even in hills. The Escape line makes a fantastic general purpose bike. The stock seat is fairly good too. I did put 28mm road tires on mine and it does ride a bit easier than with the stock 32mm treaded tires. A set of 28mm 4 season tires would be perfect.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Submitted by Jim Blue a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2015

Strengths:    Great value for the money. Quality and durable bicycle

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Giant Escape 2 in early spring of 2013 as a second bicycle to my road bike. I needed to upgrade my hybrid bicycle for the local gravel railbed trail in our area. After riding it on the trail I purchased a set of road wheels and 700x28 road tires to commute to work. This past year, following surgery on my right hand, I road the Giant Escape as my primary bicycle after switching the brake cables and adding the aero bars. Over the late summer I rode 1000+ miles including a century ride in September and was able to hang with my friends on their road bikes. Highly recommend this bicycle for pleasure and even road riding.

Bike Setup:   Clipless pedals, ISM Century Saddle, Aero bars, Vuelta Zero-Lite Wheelset, Continental Gran Prix 4 Season Duraskin Clincher Tire - 700x28 (700x25 for Century Ride)

Submitted by practical a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2014

Strengths:    I have the Escape 1 which features a carbon composite fork and 9 speeds for about $150 more. The bike is very responsive, it accelerates well when I want it to. I have made several changes to it to make it more like a road bike and less like a trail or mountain bike. I changed the tires to a high pressure (115 psi) "28's", shortened and lowered the handlebars and added txoe clip pedals. I was thinking of putting on grip shifters but so far the trigger shifters have been fine. It goes fast enough and climbs well. It's not a road bike but stays with recreational road bikers easily. Giant seems to make a good frame to hang a variety of components on.

Weaknesses:    Pedals need to be replaced. Also, an annoying rattle that I have not been able to locate. Shorten handlebar if you want to ride it like a road bike.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for the price - about as nice a hybrid as you'll fine until you go all carbon.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Addison County

Purchased At:   Northstar Bike in Bu

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar Flatbar Road Bike

Bike Setup:   Large bike. 9 speed, trigger shifters, triple crank front.

Submitted by Bouy

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2014

Strengths:    Competitive price, light weight, smooth shifting, great breaks love this bike

Weaknesses:    Handle bars could be just a tad higher for comfort

Bottom Line:
I am a beginer biker bought this bike for commuting to work and excercise on the bike paths I am very impressed by how smooth this bad boy shifts , it's very light weight corners on a dime , I took it out for a 20mile ride straight from the store no problems so far. Giant may have a customer for life!