Giant Escape 2 Commuter Bike

4.55/5 (20 Reviews)

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested...

Submitted by Whitney Prescott

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2015

Strengths:    Reliable, proven components. I have had no problems with anything.
Great looks for a commuter bike: Flat top bar, hidden cables, clean looking, non-glossy paint, aluminum frame.
Rides lightly, doesn't feel heavy. Good brakes.

Weaknesses:    Nothing important. Seat is maybe a little too spongy, and feels a bit "bottomed-out' (no pun intended) after about an hour- and I only weigh 150- but(t) not unbearable. :)

Bottom Line:
A "fast" commuter bike. I commute 28 miles round trip, twice a week when able, year-round. Mixed terrain. I changed the 32mm stock tires for 28mm Gatorskins for less rolling resistance and better flat protection, but the stock tires are fine for city. The 700mm road wheels ride lightly and accelerate well. For a simple commuter bike, it feels like a beginner road bike (I have a high-level road bike, and I am amazed how this compares, all things considered.)
I chose the upward-slanting stem to raise the flat bars up for more comfort, since this is just for commuting. Very comfortable.
I think it is a great all-purpose bike, especially since you could add racks, etc. for touring.
Very well built: a solid, long-term keeper for me.

Submitted by Rafi M a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2015

Strengths:    -Holds the rider well at fast speeds (15+ mph) over bumpy terrain and potholes in city streets.
-Pretty fast and accelerates well downhill
-Enough gearing combos to climb steep hills with less effort
-Gear shifts very smoothly after getting used to it
-A light bicycle for a commuter
-Faster than most commute bikes
-Tires last longer than expected and are responsive to the road in most conditions.

Weaknesses:    -shocks and vibrations on rough paths, so the rider will feel the bumps especially at fast speeds
-Accelerating to top speed on flat ground can require a bit more effort than a dedicated road bike.
-stock seat can be tiresome on the glutes during long rides, but rider can grow to tolerate the lack of comfortability over time. Not really a serious problem.

Bottom Line:
I bike to school everyday and my Giant Escape 2 has already covered about 1,200 miles. I went for an upgrade for the wheels to switch with a more durable and thinner set just so I can guarantee experiencing less tire pinches and blowouts from riding over glass and sharp objects. I tend to pass most commute bikers and also am able to keep up with cars some of the time on flat ground. For the money that buyers pay for this bicycle, it certainly is a bang as the features and quality it has can at least give the rider a satisfied grin. Stock setups are fine with this bike.

Purchased At:   450

Bike Setup:   -Xtreme Bright headlights and tail lights
-Measupro Bicycle Computer
-Armadillo All Condition Bicycle Tires 700x28

Submitted by Benjamin

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2015

Strengths:    Bang for the Buck, comfort, all around riding capability, smooth click button shifting.

Weaknesses:    So far Zero and I've had the bike for 6 months.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Giants Escape City. It's pretty much identical to an Escape 2 with fenders and a rear rack for panniers. I bought this bike for a 24 mile a day round trip commute to work and back. Having not ridden a bike in over 15 years I had no idea or clue what I needed. With a little reseach I decided on the City Escape model because it came with the Pannier rack and fenders, and boy on boy I am glad I did. This Bike has been a dream come true and has been everything I wanted and more. I highly recommend this bike to anyone one who is looking to commute to work or just ride around your town checking out the sights and sounds. A+

Submitted by Jbyd

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2015

Strengths:    Did some research on other more expensive brands. My Giant Escape 2 is by far the best value. I love this bike. I ride about 400 miles a month for fitness. This bike has exceeded all of my expectations. I am 6'5 and the XL fits me perfectly. I had some chain chatter up front and experienced some phantom shifting in the rear after about 100 miles. My LBS quickly took care of this it appears that the new cables stretch a bit. Riding this bike is quiet and effortless. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good value on a dependable bike. I have put approximately 700 miles on since my purchase and have had no other issues.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of...I keep my drive train clean and lubricated and have had no problems. The bike shifts perfectly and the bike is a dream to ride.

Bottom Line:
I almost pulled the trigger on one of the higher priced competitors. My brother suggested I try Giant. I am glad I did. I love it!!

Submitted by greg3674 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2015

Strengths:    Surprisingly light, XL frame is perfect for 6'2" me, looks good without being flashy, great value for commuting and just enjoyable evening / weekend riding. The stock seat is comfy enough for 30min rides when wearing bike shorts.

Weaknesses:    On one particular bump during my rides, the rear shifter jumps between gears - for example, I'm on the 5th, and when I hit the bump while pedalling it'll shift to 4th for a moment and then back to 5th, all by itself. It's very brief - a second or so - and only on the one bump. Oh, and the handlebar isn't same-size from center to grips (it's fat in the stem clamp area and tapers down to normal after an inch or two). While it looks nice, it makes attaching stuff like lamps and computers tricky because you have to avoid the zone where it tapers - either clamp on the fat side, or the normal side. You lose an inch of useable bar area because of that.

Bottom Line:
I have a 15-year-old mountain bike (Gary Fisher Big Sur) and a 14-year-old road bike (Cannondale R600), and as great as those bikes are, they suck as casual rides or commuters.

So I managed to justify spending $507 (after taxes) on the Escape 2 in XL. Originally I was going to get the Escape 3 at a different store, but a 10%-OFF sale at Fresh Air made it more sensible to get the Escape 2. There were only two XL-size bikes left in the city, so that was the end of my choices in July!

So far, the bike is stock - I just added a Velo 7 computer and a set of Torch lights. I tend not to swap parts out unless they're totally awful or broken. So, keeping grips and pedals and seat as-is for now. Being a commuter, I don't see myself changing to SPD pedals anyways.

First ride on the bike felt weird - the bike (XL size, remember) is HUGE compared to either the mtb or roadie. But it's fast and very manageable. The shifting is good, the stock tires aren't noisy, and there's no rattles from cable housings.

I've done a few rides on it so far, and I like it quite a bit - especially considering the price that I paid for it. Hopefully it'll be just as good after 1000km. And by 2500km, it'll have paid for itself since my truck uses a lot of fuel to get me to work and home! This Escape 2 should do the same job AND have the benefit of shedding my fat.

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Experience