Giant Suede Commuter Bike

4.2/5 (10 Reviews)

• 7-speed drivetrain for shifting simplicity
  • Adjustable stem for perfect positioning
  • Front suspension for smooth tracking over all terrain

Submitted by Sally

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2014

Strengths:    Comfortable , we'll made bike. I bought it about five years ago, and have had it tuned up once. I love this bike!

Weaknesses:    None really. ( maybe the fact that my model did not come with a chain guard)

Bottom Line:
Great bike

Submitted by PMS

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2013

Strengths:    Price (bought at closeout: $350)
Limited speeds: all I need.
Comfort
Mildly surprised at how good I feel after rather lengthy rides.

Weaknesses:    Only a week old, and none so far.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for commutung, or just cruising bike paths.
Will have to get rid of tractor seat, which I should have done at time of purchase.

Submitted by Phil in Florida

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, fun to ride, gear range perfect for my area

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike in the Spring of 2009 and just passed 3,000 miles today. I have had it tuned up twice (routine) and it has been 100% reliable. Where I live it is flat and this is a perfect bike for me and my area.

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    The strengths are the frame. My son can not bike leaning over. And it is easy for him to wait at a stop light because he only need to put his foot down, flat footed.
Gear range for the seven gear version good for climbing most hilles except the steepest.

Weaknesses:    My son bikes 20 miles a day. After one month these items were placed.
A, Cheap plastic pedals were ruined very quickly. Replaced.
B. Seat was wore quickly. Replaced with same type of seat different manufacturer.
C. Seat post replaced twice because angle steps broke. Cheap aluminum. Better would be steel.
D. Both wheel rims replaced because weak and cheap single walls not a box style.. Spokes broke and wheel become out of round. Replaced gear set with a cartridge type set. Because wheel rimes are not very strong.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike because this is the only bike my son can ride and he rides about 20 miles a day. He is handicapped and can not ride any bike where he has leans over like a typical racing or road bike. He is unable to bend his head up, so he must sit straight up. For years he said he hated biking. He never went more than a mile and complained the whole way. This bike has really changed his life.

The bad about this bike is many components failed the first month my son drove the bike. The pedals are super cheap plastic and were the first to go. Then the seat post broke meaning the little adjustment steps which change the angle of the seat sheared off. This happened twice. The next time this happens I will replace it with a steel post and steel adjustment not aluminum. The next item that broke was a single spoke. I took it back to the shop and they replaced it for free, but they did not true the wheel, bad mistake. A week later 11 spokes where broken. I told the shop my son can not handle anything that breaks. We replaced both wheels with heavy duty rims, At the same time the rear wheel needed a cartridge gearing, I bought a new cartridge gears, same ratio as the original.
The original bike cost $400. plus tax. After making all changes this bike cost close to $900.00. However it was worth it to me since my son can now get around.

Another reason this bike may have failed so many components is it might be designed for 150 pound person. My son is about 250 pounds. Another thought could be road conditions, however my son rides only smooth roads no trails. His disability does not allow jerky conditions.

If I could do it again I would order just the frame, and put on robust components.

Submitted by Waipouri a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Upright riding position - avoids strain on my back problems - great not to get a sore back.
Good exercise - my doctor has just told me to cycle more to help my knees as I've been diagnosed with osteo-arthritis.

Weaknesses:    Front wheel tends to lift on hills
Lack of castor?
Saddle not as comfortable as I might expect on a hybrid.
Would like a wider gear range at the top end - find I am in top gear on the flat - so lack a gear to pedal downhill.
Gear indicators are hard to read in poor light conditions or with vibration on a chip-seal road.

Bottom Line:
Bought the Giant Suede about 18 months ago. The NZ version may be slightly differently spec'd than in other countries.
Generally I am very pleased with it.

The low gears are great - no problem getting up most hills. However the top end lacks the high ratios that make my road bike and my tandem great on a downhill. Not a major problem - I shouldn't be pushing to hard at my age.

Because the seat position is fairly well back on the frame, if I'm not careful the front wheel tends to lift sometimes on a steep hill.

The sometimes leads to a touch of the wobbles - particularly at low speeds up hill. Not sure if this is because of the wider handle bars, the lack of weight on the front wheel or the fork geometry. It's the only serious problem with the bike. I haven't yet tried shifting the saddle forward on the rails.

Overall it's pretty comfortable. I might look out a more forgiving saddle - it's fine if one is sitting well back but a bit hard on the sit bones sitting forward.

When delivered it was a bit hard to move into the middle sprocket - particularly changing down from 3rd to 2nd. The mechanic adjusted it and it's a lot better. But I have to over-shift and then shift back up slightly. The bikeshop I bought it from closed down so I never went back for my free adjustment. The mechanic took about 10 minutes to get it right when I bought it. I figure I haven't got the skills to do it myself.

And a suggestion for Shimano on making gear levers for us oldies or people with bad eyesight - in heavy traffic it's not always easy to check what gear I'm in. It would be really handy if the gear position displays were more legible. Maybe with an easily readable colour coding so one can tell at a glance which gear one's in.

Overall though, it's great to have a bike that isn't harsh on my back.

My road bike is a reasonably light 531 db frame - stiff and light. The Giant is quite a bit heavier - but the price made up for the loss of a light feel. It's not a bike I would like to carry any distance.

Bought a town model with mudguards and a panier rack. All good - although the bungees supplied for the rack are only good for light loads.

Similar Products Used:   Test road a Merida before I bought the Giant. But in the end, my wife chose the Suede so I figured it was better to start riding than spend ages test riding.

Velo Suede Celeste Saddle

Has anyone ridden/Is anyone riding this saddle? What does the shape compare to? I'm thinking of getting one to complete a 1980s single speed build as trying to find a celeste Selle Italia Turbo saddle is as impossible, as, well, I can't really think of something it compares too! Maybe it's impos ... Read More »

Fizik black microtex tape has suede texture but not in other colors - why?

Has anyone notice the Fizik black tape has a different texture than the the rest of the colors?[LEFT][/LEFT] The black color is like suede while the rest feels like plastic.Read More »

Cleaning a suede coat

I got the latex paint off my dog's face, now I need to clean a suede coat. It's got plaster dust on it that has been sort of worn into the nap. It's also got one crusty stain from some bird craps or something. Should I take it to the cleaners? The internets suggest I should rub it with a dam ... Read More »

Which shorts have suede chamois?

I know that the Boure Pro shorts use a suede chamois. I would like to know which other shorts use suede.Read More »