GT Bicycles Inc. Transeo 2.0 Disc Commuter Bike

• Spokes: Stainless steel 14 gauge
  • Rims: Jalco DXT-111 double wall 32h

Submitted by Robert D. a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort.

Weaknesses:    PLASTIC BOTTOM BRACKET CUPS WERE USED INSTEAD OF ALUMINUM, OR STEEL. THAT'S RIGHT! PLASTIC. THE PROPER MATERIAL FOR BOTTOM BRACKET CUPS ARE ALUMINUM, OR STEEL. NOT PLASTIC!

Bottom Line:
While the GT Transeo is a comfortable commuter bicycle the GT company (I guess they are the manufacturers) should pay attention to one small detail (a very, very important detail) that can affect the future sales of the bicycle: the plastic bottom bracket cups.
Several weeks ago while riding to work (my commuting mileage is eight miles) my bicycle started to act funny. When I stopped to examine the problem my crank assembly was loose. I was forced to ride slow because the shifting was impossible. When I arrived at work I examined the problem. Now, pay attention. Upon closer examination I found that the PLASTIC BOTTOM BRACKET CUPS WERE MADE OF PLASTIC. THAT'S RIGHT! PLASTIC. THE PROPER MATERIAL FOR BOTTOM BRACKET CUPS ARE ALUMINUM, OR STEEL. NOT PLASTIC!
I have resolved the problem by having a threadless bottom bracket (with sealed bearings) installed.
Shame on you GT for not catching this potential problem. If I was on a city street, rather that a rural road, I could've been seriously injured, or killed, by an idiot texting while driving.

Favorite Ride:   GT Transeo