KHS Inc. Urban-X Commuter Bike

• Spokes: 14G Black 36°
  • Crankset: Shimano 48/38/28 w/Chainguard

Submitted by shimano4 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very well equip commuter. Quick acceleration(I like fast bicycle). Affordable price

Weaknesses:    Too rigid. It can be a advantage but also can be a disadvantage. Plenty of shock and vibration when you run over uneven pavement. Feel a bit uncomfortable compare to my previous bicycle. Worst is the fact the stock KHS saddle with suspension is not doing its job of absorbing the vibration(Saddle is too rigid too).

Bottom Line:
I got the bicycle(2008 model) this afternoon. First ride, u can somehow feel its toughness. Very rigid. There the bicycle is very responsive and acceleration is fast. A very well equip commuter. For example, its side stand end is fitted with a rubber protection which you need not worry keeping the commuter inside the house and scratch your floor tile unlike most side stand which is bare sharp metal. From rear rack to side stand and fender, all is alloy. So weight reduction is taken in account by KHS designer. I happen to run over a broken glass bottle and the slick of KHS is live up to its reputation. Tough like hell with no visible damage.

Purchased At:   CycleMax

Similar Products Used:   Polygon Sierra, Raleigh M20, Polygon Heist

Bike Setup:   KHS 2008 with stock setup

Submitted by JJsKHS a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Really well equipped stock, especially for the money: serviceable wheels, 21 speeds, a rack, fenders, etc. The stock Kendra Kwest tires are great at absorbing some of the "noise" and shock from the road, while still being fast. Bulletproof, too -- ran over broken glass and all kinds of urban detritus and no flats yet. The Urban X has proven itself to be durable, usable, and an overall nice bike. Perfect commuter at a reasonable price; one only needs lights and panniers to be fully stocked and ready to roll.

Weaknesses:    The stock "Brooks-style" seat killed me. I tried and tried to get on with it, but just couldn't. Put about 50 miles on it and was still undecided, then went on a 20 mile cruise one day and was hurting so bad by the end that I literally rode directly to the bike shop on my way home for a replacement saddle. Tried all kinds of adjustments, etc, and just couldn't get accustomed to the stocker. This is, ultimately, a minor issue and a personal choice; your mileage may vary. Definitely not a deal breaker either way; if you don't like the stocker, get a suitable replacement for $20-$50 and you're all set.

That aside, my only other gripe is the paint, which seems fairly easy to chip. Granted, it's not egg shell delicate, but I hit the metal part of my U-lock against it fairly gently and dinged away a tiny (tiny) bit of paint. This happened another time when I banged my pannier hook against the frame. It's aluminum, so I'm not worried about corrosion, and I got this thing for riding, not for looking, but I think the paint should be stuck on there a bit better, and be more rugged. But it's not terrible or anything, and looks nice. Minor gripe.

Bottom Line:
This is really an excellent commuter for the price. I was looking at models selling for two and three times as much online, but when I went into the store the Urban X was the first one the guy pulled off the rack. I was somewhat hesitant, as I had it in my mind I was going with a single front chain ring with Nexus as opposed to a derailleur setup, but I'm so glad I went with the X. I routinely use all three rings here in LA, and would be at a loss on some of the steeper grades without a full 21 speeds. To think, I was considering a fixie!

Favorite Ride:   KHS Urban X

Purchased At:   Summit Ski and Bike,

Similar Products Used:   Rode a heavy, poorly sprung, and poorly maintained Raleigh M50 Mountain/Trail around the urban landscape for quite a time, and thought I was cruising on a nice bike. Heh, right. Riding on the KHS is like night and day, primarily because it was made from the ground up for urban riding, has city tires, and doesn't weigh ten thousand pounds. Now it makes me laugh when I see literally every other person on the road riding either a low end mountain bike like my old M50, or a full on race/road bike, neither of which are entirely appropriate for city riding.

Bike Setup:   KHS Urban-X w/ grocery panniers, kryptonite u-lock, and Planet Bike Blaze front/rear lights.