Lynskey Performance Designs Sportive Commuter Bike

4.93/5 (29 Reviews)

The Lynskey Sportive is designed specifically for medium to long endurance road riding like Sportives and Gran Fondos where both positive handling and comfort are desired. Curved seatstays for added comfort and a semi-relaxed geometry make the Sportive a well-balanced and reliable machine for long days, rough roads, commutes, touring and just about any road you decide to explore.

Submitted by Bill Bell

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2015

Strengths:    This frame is beautiful, lightweight and combines a very very smooth comfortable ride, with lively handling and a very stable front end (minimal - no wobble). I own 1 carbon (synapse) and 2 x steel frames alongside the lynksey sportive - the lynksey is by far the best overall frame.

Weaknesses:    Slight toe overlap on the medium frame - but I've never really found this a problem, even with mudguards.....

Bottom Line:
I have the 2014 version. I ride the lynksey now if I want to ride fast, if I am training, or if I want to ride long and even light touring. Basically - it really does everything unless you want to do ultra fast racing! I chose between this an a van nic Yukon as was looking at titanium frames. I opted for the lynksey, and a year on, now know that this is the bike for life. I built it up myself with 105 group set and Harry Rowland wheels etc. I can honestly say that I feel proud to own this frame and Lynksey should be proud of the engineering and care that has gone into it. Very very happy.

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2015

Strengths:    - Lynskey specs out their bikes with great attention to detail on all components, they truly don't skimp.
- The frame is a work of art and the geometry is perfect for long rides
- The titanium seat post is really nice and super easy to use, never thought a seat post would impress me
- The fact that Lynskey took my old titanium bike in on trade, giving me about market value for it was a HUGE plus

Weaknesses:    My sales rep was very friendly and nice to work with, but I had several mistakes in the order process
- I was told the frame was in stock and would ship out the next day, they informed me they had made an inventory mistake and it took 2 promises and three weeks later before i got my bike. I should mentioned that the exact same thing happened with the Mountain bike I purchased from Lynskey a month prior.
- I told them i was moving and due to the delay they would have to ship to my new address, they forgot to update and I spent an hour with FedEx sorting it out
- when I mentioned these points to my sales person in the spirit of "Love my bike, but you guys should tighten this process up" he insinuated that since i got a great bike it shouldn't matter. (at this price, it does)

Bike Build
- Lynskey built the bike so i only had to bolt on the handlebars and mount the front wheel (excellent), however my hoods were set at different heights (nearly 1cm difference). I plan to have my LBS tweak
- 30min into my first ride I shift my front ring for about the 4th time and it pulled the cable loose from the front derailleur. (it was very loose) I plan to have my LBS look over the entire bike. I love the SRAM components, it was easy to fix and I really like the doubletap shifting which was new to me

Bottom Line:
This is an extraordinary bike and the frame is a work of art. I love the build and think it's a great value when compared to a custom build or production bike that needs upgrades. The downside with such a small company is that they still have some work to do on consistency and customer service but I'm sure that will come with time. I also love the fact that they are built in Tennessee.

Submitted by the engine

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth, extremely comfortable and fast.

Bottom Line:
I built this bike as a long distance ride ... already have an R230 for hilly centuries. My first ride was a 45 mile training ride, and I found the Sportive to be like "riding a magic carpet". She has a amazingly smooth ride, even on roads in need of serious TLC. I would recommend the Sportive to anyone looking for a bike they could spend hours riding, day after day. Seriously nice bike.

Submitted by Jim Florczak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Strengths:    Highly efficient pedaling, yet comfortable ride.
Great looking finish.
Great component packages available through Lynskey.

Weaknesses:    Some may think the titanium finish is a bit sparse and not very colorful.

Bottom Line:
After riding mountain bikes on local bike paths in Chicago and St Louis for over twenty years, I decided to buy a road bike. Now that I'm 60+ years, I wanted something a little less intense than a racing bike. After considerable research, I settled on a titanium frame because of the promise of a more forgiving ride than all carbon. I tested a carbon frame and did find the ride somewhat stiff.

Lynskey bikes were available through a local dealer, Maplewood Bicycles; and with their assistance I ordered the Sportive with the Ultegra 6800 group set during a sale event. The bike arrived a couple of weeks earlier than expected, and it looked impressive. After some final fitting adjustments, I took it on the bike paths in St Louis. I've been riding it for two months, and It has proven to be all that I had hoped for. Climbing hills is now a breeze compared to the mountain bikes, and I'm cruising the park roads at 18mph routinely. I added a rear rack, as the Sportive has the appropriate lugs, and I'm able to carry cameras and other items during my rides. The ride is extremely comfortable on the flats, with a slightly softer ride than my one experience with a carbon frame.

I highly recommend the Lynskey Sportive, especially if you haven't owned a road bike in the last decade or two!

Purchased At:   Maplewood Bicycles,

Bike Setup:   The original set-up had 23cm tires on Mavic wheels. I swapped out the 23cm tires for Michelin 25cm tires to accomodate the bumpy bike path. I also switched between road clips and mountain clips, and settled on the mountain clipless Shimano pedals for my bike path rides.

Submitted by Richard a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2014

Strengths:    - affordable
- durable
- lightweight
- absorbs some shocks, saddle and weight a bit to the back for perfect result
- beautiful
- made me quit smoking.

Weaknesses:    - the paint is a bit weak (TiO4 is horrible to paint!)

Bottom Line:
My new mostly-road-bike built around the Lynskey Sportive frame has become my favourite vehicle and is now even in everyday use. I am a flyweight cyclist with my 150 pounds and I can't complain: In comparison to carbon/alu/steel the damaged roads on my daily way to work feel a lot better; I sit on a 3T/Selle Italia combination with Enve fork 2.0.

This frame is of real heirloom quality.

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!