Lynskey Performance Designs Sportive Commuter Bike

• Store Price

The Lynskey Sportive is designed specifically for medium to long endurance road riding like Sportives and Gran Fondos where both positive handling and comfort are desired. Curved seatstays for added comfort and a semi-relaxed geometry make the Sportive a well-balanced and reliable machine for long days, rough roads, commutes, touring and just about any road you decide to explore.

Submitted by Larry Seibert

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2014

Strengths:    Solid build, excellent ride, light and fast

Bottom Line:
I have been riding my Sportive (Ultegra, Ksyrium) a couple of times a week, and find that the ride is everything I had hoped for. It is very smooth on even the roughest pavement. I switched out the seat and got a little shorter stem and have now dialed everything into perfection. I had tried a very expensive Specialized S-Works carbon rocket before I bought the Sportive, as well as the Trek Domane. I felt bad that I didn't love them, but for my taste they seemed a bit harsh. Now that I have a titanium bike, I am convinced that while carbon might be really great for racing (and people who will sacrifice looks for comfort), it has essentially been sold to the general public under somewhat false pretenses. I don't feel I have given up much in the way of speed, as I seem to turn in the same lap times as I always have. I'm just a lot more comfortable.

I did a ton of homework before buying and thought I was making the right choice. Now I know I did. I am very happy.

Favorite Ride:   Rail-trail north from NYC

Purchased At:   Lynshey website

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Look 566

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium

Submitted by Chris Schiano a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2013

Strengths:    The solid Ti construction and curved seat stays make this a great general use frame for club rides and commuting.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailleur is solid with hr frame; I would have preferred it be replaceable.

Bottom Line:
The frame is a solid ride with excellent torsional stiffness but enough vertical flex to make a rough road ride much more tolerable. The ride is also very stable, I can take sharp corners and fast downhill runs without wobble. The common club rides in NM include lots of hills and poorly maintained back roads, so a solid yet light frame with a compact crank is required. The Sportive and R230 both offer a perfect trade-off between weight and durability. The choice to go titanium is also highly recommended over carbon on the NM and reservation back roads.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tarmac

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6800 Compact groupset; Mavic Kysirium Equippe Wheels, Lynskey Pro Carbon Fork, Ritchey WCS carbon seat tube, bars, and stem.

Submitted by Scott L Booth

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    Road feel (soaks up chip seal and all but the hardest hits)
Finish is durable and gorgeous
Comes with everything you need for an all day/ Sport Touring workhorse

Bottom Line:
So, this bike is everything I thought it would be and more! When I found a crack in my carbon frame (poop), I started looking to see what I would replace it with. While doing my research (for a replacement carbon frame), I came across Titanium, and eventually found Lynskey. Having been in the bike building business for well over 20 years, I knew I could trust their experience and workmanship. Looking through their lineup, I decided on the Sportive (although I have no doubt that any and all of their frames are top shelf). The Sportive appealed to me for several reasons: 1) I wanted something more "upright"/ comfortable for all day riding, 2) it has rack and fender mounts for commuting/ touring (I made my first Costco run yesterday), and 3) it's Titanium (the forgotten frame material)! Please don't take my comment about "touring" to suggest this is a slow bike; quite the opposite!! It's stable, quick, and climbs and descends just as good as my prior carbon frame (if not better). Oh, by the way, the bike built up (full Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium Elites) is only 18.85 lbs (just three quarters of a pound heavier than the old full carbon)!! If you're in the market for a new bike/ frame, and are over the carbon bike hype, then seriously consider a Titanium bike from Lynskey! You won't be disappointed!!

Submitted by Nathan Thomas a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Comfort without sacrificing performance
Feels sharp when accelerating
Feels very planted and stable on descents
A work of art to look at and admire....hmmm the Cloverleaf rear drops

Weaknesses:    A little $$ but its a bike for life.....not just for X-mas ;o)

Bottom Line:
My journey started when I had a few questions regarding the frame which I directed to the Lynskey Performance website. I got a pretty quick repsonse from a helpful chap called Don Erwin, who gave me some advice and options around the Sportive Disc vs standard Sportive frame. He even followed up a few weeks later asking if I had all the information I needed, very helpful!!

I bought the standard Sportive frameset from the guys at www.fatbirds.co.uk a UK distributor. These guys have it all dialled in; an easy to use website, very well laid out, very informative etc. Plus they had a great deal on the frame, fork and headset at the time. Delivery was equally as slick, I even received a text message with the exact time when the frame would be delivered, overall an outstanding experience... The frame arrived very well packaged with the headset installed.....I will be back. Fatbirds also helped with the sizing, I am in between the M/L and the L frame, but some useful advice steered me toward the Large. (I am 6ft with a 34" inside leg).

I build all my bikes up myself, so added the Ultegra 10 speed groupset and Bontrager RXL finishing kit and Race tubeless wheels. I hate to admit it but I just love the simple frames, and by that I mean no internal routed cables, no press fit bottom bracket etc. The Sportive built up from box to complete in around 45 minutes ! Very easy.The only thing left for me is some full length thermoplastic mudgairds for the English winter !! For the Weight Weenies, W/O pedals a Large frame fully built is 17.1lbs

I've ridden it now for around 300 miles, the longest being 70 miles. For comparison I came from a Canyon carbon Ultimate SLX.The first ride out was a real eye opener. I had never ridden Titanium before so I didn't know what to expect. All I can say is that its like someone has let some pressure out of your tyres or relaird the tarmac on all the roads !! Everything is so much more comfier. But it doesn't in any way affect the performace, it was still sharp when accelerating and also at descending speeds of over 30mph it still felt very planted. Also the handling feels very responsive, I feel I can really throw it around and still feel confident its going to stay there.

Overall the whole experience has been fantastic, and I'm looking forward to a few thousand miles on the Sportive.

Purchased At:   www.fatbirds.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Canyon Ultimate SLX
Planet X Nano
Dolan Preffiso
Trek Domane

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Sportive non-disc frameset
Shimano Ultegra groupset
Bontrager RXL bars, seatpost. seat.
Bontrager Race Tubeless wheels
Bontrager R5 tubeless 25mm tyres

Submitted by Jeremy Kushlak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2013

Strengths:    This is the best frame I have ever ridden. Each ride gets better and better.

Weaknesses:    Titanium is expensive to manufacture

Bottom Line:
First, I have to say that Jack K over at Lynskey made buying this bike almost as awesome as riding this bike. I bought just the frame and built it up to my own specs. I am rolling with the Dura Ace 9000 group-o with Mavic Kysrium SLR's wheel set on my Sprotive and it is so nice. I really like the responsiveness of the bike. FAST, FAST, FAST. Sometimes I don't even feel like I am trying and I will look down and be going 25 mph. "Synk" (my bikes name) is so much better than any other bike I have ever ridden. It is stiff, lite, responsive, rustproof and FAST. If you have never ridden a Ti frame I would recommend going out and trying it. I had never tried Ti before I got this bike and I have to say I have zero regrets. I am lucky to be at a time in my life that I was able to build the sweetest bike I will probably ever ride. Buy a Lynskey!!!

Purchased At:   LynskeyPerfromance.c