Lynskey Performance Designs Sportive Commuter Bike

The Lynskey Sportive is designed specifically for medium to long endurance road riding like Sportives and Gran Fondos where both positive handling and comfort are desired. Curved seatstays for added comfort and a semi-relaxed geometry make the Sportive a well-balanced and reliable machine for long days, rough roads, commutes, touring and just about any road you decide to explore.

Submitted by Jim Florczak a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Strengths:    Highly efficient pedaling, yet comfortable ride.
Great looking finish.
Great component packages available through Lynskey.

Weaknesses:    Some may think the titanium finish is a bit sparse and not very colorful.

Bottom Line:
After riding mountain bikes on local bike paths in Chicago and St Louis for over twenty years, I decided to buy a road bike. Now that I'm 60+ years, I wanted something a little less intense than a racing bike. After considerable research, I settled on a titanium frame because of the promise of a more forgiving ride than all carbon. I tested a carbon frame and did find the ride somewhat stiff.

Lynskey bikes were available through a local dealer, Maplewood Bicycles; and with their assistance I ordered the Sportive with the Ultegra 6800 group set during a sale event. The bike arrived a couple of weeks earlier than expected, and it looked impressive. After some final fitting adjustments, I took it on the bike paths in St Louis. I've been riding it for two months, and It has proven to be all that I had hoped for. Climbing hills is now a breeze compared to the mountain bikes, and I'm cruising the park roads at 18mph routinely. I added a rear rack, as the Sportive has the appropriate lugs, and I'm able to carry cameras and other items during my rides. The ride is extremely comfortable on the flats, with a slightly softer ride than my one experience with a carbon frame.

I highly recommend the Lynskey Sportive, especially if you haven't owned a road bike in the last decade or two!

Purchased At:   Maplewood Bicycles,

Bike Setup:   The original set-up had 23cm tires on Mavic wheels. I swapped out the 23cm tires for Michelin 25cm tires to accomodate the bumpy bike path. I also switched between road clips and mountain clips, and settled on the mountain clipless Shimano pedals for my bike path rides.

Submitted by Richard a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2014

Strengths:    - affordable
- durable
- lightweight
- absorbs some shocks, saddle and weight a bit to the back for perfect result
- beautiful
- made me quit smoking.

Weaknesses:    - the paint is a bit weak (TiO4 is horrible to paint!)

Bottom Line:
My new mostly-road-bike built around the Lynskey Sportive frame has become my favourite vehicle and is now even in everyday use. I am a flyweight cyclist with my 150 pounds and I can't complain: In comparison to carbon/alu/steel the damaged roads on my daily way to work feel a lot better; I sit on a 3T/Selle Italia combination with Enve fork 2.0.

This frame is of real heirloom quality.

Submitted by Eric K. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth ride on the seat and stiff enough through the bottom bracket to avoid flexy acceleration. Beautiful welds from craftsmen in the USA.

Weaknesses:    Toe-clip overlap in M and smaller sizes. Order the largest size that includes your height range to avoid or minimize toe-clip overlap.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a durable bike with a smooth ride because there are plenty of rough roads and even cattle guards near San Francisco, and Ti's high modulus of elasticity allows the frame to absorb some of the bumps before it gets to the seat. The curved seat stays on the Sportive seem to help out further.

A carbon frame wouldn't be as durable because carbon fiber is just fabric without the resin and the structural integrity can be damaged in a crash. I'm 33 and hope to be biking on this frame for as long as I can ride. It's unlikely a carbon or aluminum frame (because of fatigue limit) will last a lifetime of heavy use.

I originally ordered the Viale with Shimano 105 in April 2013 yet Lynskey was overwhelmed with demand for the Silver Series models and offered the Sportive with Shimano 105 for the same price.

The stock seat doesn't have much padding and is very narrow, but it works great with a high-end chamois like the Formula FX chamois in Sugoi RS bibs. My longest ride was 128 miles out to Pt. Reyes Lighthouse and the Ti frame and Sugoi Formula FX chamois helped avoid any saddle soreness.

The welds look amazing, and I really like the unpainted matte finish. I removed the decals because I wanted a stealth bike that can be locked up on street with a titanium TiGr lock. Most people think it is a cheaper steel or aluminum frame, which is fine by me.

I wanted a bike with brazed-on rack and fender mounts because I tried to retrofit a rack and fenders on my dad's old road bike 10 years ago and ended up getting a flat tire because there wasn't enough clearance on the rear fender to avoid it from rubbing on the tire.

While the Sportive's mounts are great, especially with the shamrocks in the dropouts, there is only clearance with fenders for 23mm wheels in front and 25 mm in rear. Furthermore, the front triangle geometry is compact (it's the same as the racing Rouler model), and there is at least 1 cm of toe clip overlap for Euro size 42 (US 9) shoes even with the cleat in the forward position to minimize overlap. Adding a front fender would make that overlap worse. If you really want to use fenders with 25 mm or larger tires, get a Viale or Cooper.

It rarely rains in SF and the streets dry quickly afterwards, so I just decided to avoid biking on rainy days so I can keep riding 28 mm tires. I have an Axiom rack and used its attachment bolts to hold a 2" wide piece of plastic to keep rear wheel spay from hitting my back.

In retrospect I should have ordered the ML frame size, as it has 1.59 cm more space between the front wheel and pedals. At 5' 9", I was either at the high end of the medium size or the low end of ML. My LBS, Roaring Mouse Cycles, offers a fit guarantee yet I had waited 2.5 months for the bike it didn't seem worth waiting another month or two to exchange it for a larger size.
The head tube angle (72) and seat tube angle (73.5) are the same as on the Peloton but it has 1.85 cm more room between the front wheel and the pedals than the Sportive (or the Rouler) in size M.

Because of the compact geometry, I recommend ordering the largest size that includes your height range to minimize toe-clip overlap. A larger size will also have a taller head tube, minimizing the number of spacers and reducing stresses on the fork's steerer tube (which is important if you want an all carbon fork.)

Overall, I'm really happy with the bike and look forward to decades of great rides on it.

Favorite Ride:   Marin County coastal rides

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 with Shimano R501 rims and Kenda 28mm tires.

Submitted by Larry Seibert

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2014

Strengths:    Solid build, excellent ride, light and fast

Bottom Line:
I have been riding my Sportive (Ultegra, Ksyrium) a couple of times a week, and find that the ride is everything I had hoped for. It is very smooth on even the roughest pavement. I switched out the seat and got a little shorter stem and have now dialed everything into perfection. I had tried a very expensive Specialized S-Works carbon rocket before I bought the Sportive, as well as the Trek Domane. I felt bad that I didn't love them, but for my taste they seemed a bit harsh. Now that I have a titanium bike, I am convinced that while carbon might be really great for racing (and people who will sacrifice looks for comfort), it has essentially been sold to the general public under somewhat false pretenses. I don't feel I have given up much in the way of speed, as I seem to turn in the same lap times as I always have. I'm just a lot more comfortable.

I did a ton of homework before buying and thought I was making the right choice. Now I know I did. I am very happy.

Favorite Ride:   Rail-trail north from NYC

Purchased At:   Lynshey website

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Look 566

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium

Submitted by Chris Schiano a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2013

Strengths:    The solid Ti construction and curved seat stays make this a great general use frame for club rides and commuting.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailleur is solid with hr frame; I would have preferred it be replaceable.

Bottom Line:
The frame is a solid ride with excellent torsional stiffness but enough vertical flex to make a rough road ride much more tolerable. The ride is also very stable, I can take sharp corners and fast downhill runs without wobble. The common club rides in NM include lots of hills and poorly maintained back roads, so a solid yet light frame with a compact crank is required. The Sportive and R230 both offer a perfect trade-off between weight and durability. The choice to go titanium is also highly recommended over carbon on the NM and reservation back roads.