Lynskey Performance Designs Sportive Commuter Bike

• Store Price

The Lynskey Sportive is designed specifically for medium to long endurance road riding like Sportives and Gran Fondos where both positive handling and comfort are desired. Curved seatstays for added comfort and a semi-relaxed geometry make the Sportive a well-balanced and reliable machine for long days, rough roads, commutes, touring and just about any road you decide to explore.

Submitted by Richard a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2014

Strengths:    - affordable
- durable
- lightweight
- absorbs some shocks, saddle and weight a bit to the back for perfect result
- beautiful
- made me quit smoking.

Weaknesses:    - the paint is a bit weak (TiO4 is horrible to paint!)

Bottom Line:
My new mostly-road-bike built around the Lynskey Sportive frame has become my favourite vehicle and is now even in everyday use. I am a flyweight cyclist with my 150 pounds and I can't complain: In comparison to carbon/alu/steel the damaged roads on my daily way to work feel a lot better; I sit on a 3T/Selle Italia combination with Enve fork 2.0.

This frame is of real heirloom quality.

Submitted by Eric K. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth ride on the seat and stiff enough through the bottom bracket to avoid flexy acceleration. Beautiful welds from craftsmen in the USA.

Weaknesses:    Toe-clip overlap in M and smaller sizes. Order the largest size that includes your height range to avoid or minimize toe-clip overlap.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a durable bike with a smooth ride because there are plenty of rough roads and even cattle guards near San Francisco, and Ti's high modulus of elasticity allows the frame to absorb some of the bumps before it gets to the seat. The curved seat stays on the Sportive seem to help out further.

A carbon frame wouldn't be as durable because carbon fiber is just fabric without the resin and the structural integrity can be damaged in a crash. I'm 33 and hope to be biking on this frame for as long as I can ride. It's unlikely a carbon or aluminum frame (because of fatigue limit) will last a lifetime of heavy use.

I originally ordered the Viale with Shimano 105 in April 2013 yet Lynskey was overwhelmed with demand for the Silver Series models and offered the Sportive with Shimano 105 for the same price.

The stock seat doesn't have much padding and is very narrow, but it works great with a high-end chamois like the Formula FX chamois in Sugoi RS bibs. My longest ride was 128 miles out to Pt. Reyes Lighthouse and the Ti frame and Sugoi Formula FX chamois helped avoid any saddle soreness.

The welds look amazing, and I really like the unpainted matte finish. I removed the decals because I wanted a stealth bike that can be locked up on street with a titanium TiGr lock. Most people think it is a cheaper steel or aluminum frame, which is fine by me.

I wanted a bike with brazed-on rack and fender mounts because I tried to retrofit a rack and fenders on my dad's old road bike 10 years ago and ended up getting a flat tire because there wasn't enough clearance on the rear fender to avoid it from rubbing on the tire.

While the Sportive's mounts are great, especially with the shamrocks in the dropouts, there is only clearance with fenders for 23mm wheels in front and 25 mm in rear. Furthermore, the front triangle geometry is compact (it's the same as the racing Rouler model), and there is at least 1 cm of toe clip overlap for Euro size 42 (US 9) shoes even with the cleat in the forward position to minimize overlap. Adding a front fender would make that overlap worse. If you really want to use fenders with 25 mm or larger tires, get a Viale or Cooper.

It rarely rains in SF and the streets dry quickly afterwards, so I just decided to avoid biking on rainy days so I can keep riding 28 mm tires. I have an Axiom rack and used its attachment bolts to hold a 2" wide piece of plastic to keep rear wheel spay from hitting my back.

In retrospect I should have ordered the ML frame size, as it has 1.59 cm more space between the front wheel and pedals. At 5' 9", I was either at the high end of the medium size or the low end of ML. My LBS, Roaring Mouse Cycles, offers a fit guarantee yet I had waited 2.5 months for the bike it didn't seem worth waiting another month or two to exchange it for a larger size.
The head tube angle (72) and seat tube angle (73.5) are the same as on the Peloton but it has 1.85 cm more room between the front wheel and the pedals than the Sportive (or the Rouler) in size M.

Because of the compact geometry, I recommend ordering the largest size that includes your height range to minimize toe-clip overlap. A larger size will also have a taller head tube, minimizing the number of spacers and reducing stresses on the fork's steerer tube (which is important if you want an all carbon fork.)

Overall, I'm really happy with the bike and look forward to decades of great rides on it.

Favorite Ride:   Marin County coastal rides

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 with Shimano R501 rims and Kenda 28mm tires.

Submitted by Larry Seibert

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2014

Strengths:    Solid build, excellent ride, light and fast

Bottom Line:
I have been riding my Sportive (Ultegra, Ksyrium) a couple of times a week, and find that the ride is everything I had hoped for. It is very smooth on even the roughest pavement. I switched out the seat and got a little shorter stem and have now dialed everything into perfection. I had tried a very expensive Specialized S-Works carbon rocket before I bought the Sportive, as well as the Trek Domane. I felt bad that I didn't love them, but for my taste they seemed a bit harsh. Now that I have a titanium bike, I am convinced that while carbon might be really great for racing (and people who will sacrifice looks for comfort), it has essentially been sold to the general public under somewhat false pretenses. I don't feel I have given up much in the way of speed, as I seem to turn in the same lap times as I always have. I'm just a lot more comfortable.

I did a ton of homework before buying and thought I was making the right choice. Now I know I did. I am very happy.

Favorite Ride:   Rail-trail north from NYC

Purchased At:   Lynshey website

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane, Look 566

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium

Submitted by Chris Schiano a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2013

Strengths:    The solid Ti construction and curved seat stays make this a great general use frame for club rides and commuting.

Weaknesses:    The rear derailleur is solid with hr frame; I would have preferred it be replaceable.

Bottom Line:
The frame is a solid ride with excellent torsional stiffness but enough vertical flex to make a rough road ride much more tolerable. The ride is also very stable, I can take sharp corners and fast downhill runs without wobble. The common club rides in NM include lots of hills and poorly maintained back roads, so a solid yet light frame with a compact crank is required. The Sportive and R230 both offer a perfect trade-off between weight and durability. The choice to go titanium is also highly recommended over carbon on the NM and reservation back roads.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tarmac

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6800 Compact groupset; Mavic Kysirium Equippe Wheels, Lynskey Pro Carbon Fork, Ritchey WCS carbon seat tube, bars, and stem.

Submitted by Scott L Booth

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    Road feel (soaks up chip seal and all but the hardest hits)
Finish is durable and gorgeous
Comes with everything you need for an all day/ Sport Touring workhorse

Bottom Line:
So, this bike is everything I thought it would be and more! When I found a crack in my carbon frame (poop), I started looking to see what I would replace it with. While doing my research (for a replacement carbon frame), I came across Titanium, and eventually found Lynskey. Having been in the bike building business for well over 20 years, I knew I could trust their experience and workmanship. Looking through their lineup, I decided on the Sportive (although I have no doubt that any and all of their frames are top shelf). The Sportive appealed to me for several reasons: 1) I wanted something more "upright"/ comfortable for all day riding, 2) it has rack and fender mounts for commuting/ touring (I made my first Costco run yesterday), and 3) it's Titanium (the forgotten frame material)! Please don't take my comment about "touring" to suggest this is a slow bike; quite the opposite!! It's stable, quick, and climbs and descends just as good as my prior carbon frame (if not better). Oh, by the way, the bike built up (full Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium Elites) is only 18.85 lbs (just three quarters of a pound heavier than the old full carbon)!! If you're in the market for a new bike/ frame, and are over the carbon bike hype, then seriously consider a Titanium bike from Lynskey! You won't be disappointed!!

Sportive build

Ok, my body is telling me that my Fort SLC is not for me :( Looking at the geometry the Fort has a eff. TT of 565mm and HT 159mm I presume that a Specialised Secteur or Roubaix or even Giant Defy would be better with eff. TT of 548 and HT 165mm. I would really like to buy a frame but these ... Read More »

Celebrating 60 Years with The Kingdom Alliance Sportive!!

[B][CENTER]Take part on the cycling event to celebrate 60 years of The Kingdom Alliance Sportive 3-Day 300 Mile Leisure Cycling - Tour of Kerry The event will take place on June Bank Holiday Weekend, 1st, 2nd, 3rd June, 2013[/CENTER][/B] The Kingdom Alliance Sportive will be divided into three ... Read More »

Gear compensation for high altitude 7 day sportive?

So I've been putting in the miles and training hard for a 7 day event next month in the Alps. I live at sea level and use 50x34 11x28 for multi-day rides to save energy. I've done 147 miles past Sat with 12K elevation and 106miles with 10K elevation following day. If this thing was at sea level th ... Read More »

Lynskey titanium R230 vs Sportive

Anyone know enough about both models to comment on which would be a better Lon distance mount? NOT touring, but just speedy comfortable riding in a more upright position? TIA!Read More »

Tour of Flanders Sportive

The wife and I are going to be in Belgium in the spring of 2012. A friend that we'll be staying with has suggested that I ride the Tour of Flanders (Ronde van Vlaanderen) sportive. My understanding is this is the day before the actual race and that 18,000+ people ride it. Our friend that we'll be ... Read More »