Masi Speciale Commuter Commuter Bike

• Pedals: Alloy Cage w/ Clips & Straps
  • Stem: Masi ATS Adjustable Height System

Submitted by Moises Campos a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2012

Strengths:    Road tires and high quality craftsmanship.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike back in Jan 11. Packaging for the bike was as expected, very solid. The set-up for the bike is nice and easy and required only basic tools to get her up and running within 10 minutes. So, with that that said, this is great for someone looking to buy an affordable, high quality, and stylish bike. Flashy colors, big tires, comfortable to ride, though maybe it is a bit on the heavy side, but nevertheless smooth, fast and simple and the flip-hub feature, which gives you the option of riding in fixed gear, is a great addition. I ride this in Austin, TX where there are a lot of hills and it is a little less than ideal, but very manageable once you become familiar with the area. So, maybe if you live in a hilly area and are new to biking then a single speed may not be what you are looking for (but to each their own!). Here in Austin there is a big bike scene so naturally a lot of people ask about the bike. They always seem surprised when I say it was only 220 and I keep hearing how much of a steal it was. And by the way, the colors are a huge hit; I get compliments on that all the time. Also, please take into consideration that you are not getting road bike tires. The tires seem to be cross or hybrid, meaning they are much bigger and thicker than road tires. Though, to be fair, I am not sure what the actual tire type is called. The tires also say 80 PSI max but that, to me, felt low and prevented the bike from catching that speed that I knew it had. So I ride mine at (the not recommended!) 110-120 PSI, which feels great and allows me to catch all the speed I want. Final note on the bike: the tires are a bright mustard yellow while the handlebars are a darker more true yellow.

Submitted by blakcloud a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Steel frame, flat crown fork, good value for the money.

Weaknesses:    The crank is a boat anchor at best. The bike is heavier that I would like but as I said for the money you can't complain.

Bottom Line:
For the money this is a great bike. It does exactly what it was designed to do and does it with aplomb.

First you start out with a steel frame and flat crown fork which gives it that old world charm. No oversize tubing here. The geometry of this frame is designed around stability. If you want a bike that hugs the corners and is tight, this isn't for you. If you want a stable comfortable bike, then consider this one. My car analogy is this is more like a Cadillac rather than a Ferrari.

It comes with Ritchey bars and stem which is a nice touch. The rest of components are so-so but you need to expect this for the price of the bike.

Having 32c tires for commuting is something I would have never thought of but now wouldn't never go back to something smaller. The large air volume soaks up all what the rough roads have to offer. The Kenda tires are bullet proof.

Overall I love this bike, so much so I purchased a second one and I am turning it into a 1 x9 speed. With it having horizontal dropouts for single speed or fixed and a derailleur hanger, you have many options of what ever your needs are.

The sizes can be a little wonky where it jumps from its 53 to a 56. I have my bike set up like you would a Rivendell. Normally I ride a 54, sot he first bike I bought was a 53 but the tube was too short. Then jumped to the 56 which is really a 55 and it fits much better in the cockpit. The third one is also a 56.

If I could change one thing it would be do lower the bottom bracket just a little bit. The problem with most single speed/fixed bikes that are used for commuting have a bottom bracket that is too high. This is unnecessary in a commuter bike.

Purchased At:   Bikes on Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Kona Paddy Wagon
Raleigh One Way
Both these bike have incredibly high bottom brackets.

Bike Setup:   Bike number 1
Race Face handlebars, Specialized tape
White Industries freewheel, singles speed crank.
White Industries pedals mated to Bruce Gordon toe clips.
Specialized Avatar saddle

Bike 2 is set up exactly as the first one but with minor changes.

Dura Ace 9 speed downtube shifters
Ultegra 9 speed freewheel 14-25
Ultrega 6600 rear derailleur
Ultrega hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims
White Industries ENO crank set

Submitted by SamMcChord a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    Solid and comfortable frame. Easily customizable. Metallic brown color looks great.

Weaknesses:    Breaks could be a little better. Could feel a little more nimble than it does.

Bottom Line:
Solid bike. No frills. This single speed gets the job done.

Favorite Ride:   Masi Speciale Commuter

Purchased At:   Parkside Bike Boutiq

Bike Setup:   No modifications except some silver bar tape the previous owner added.

Submitted by Brian Fahl a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth and simple: Frame is solid and forgiving. Nice wheelbase really lets you get trucking. While the components are not top of the line, they are more than adequate. With so many options to customize this bike, by the time that the components wear out is about the time that you'll know exactly how you want to customize the bike.

Weaknesses:    Seat isn't very comfortable. I swapped it out for a Selle An-Atomica...now i'm in heaven.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. I'm fairly new to commuting (going on two years now), but I have tried several different bikes for my 20 mile round trip commute. and this bike has been the best of the bunch. This isn't a custom-made steel frame, but it's solid, the welds are good and it's smooth and comfortable for my 200+ lbs. As discussed below, the components aren't any great shakes either, but they are more than adequate. The best part of this bike is how customizeable it is. If you're not sure whether you want to ride SS, Fixed or Geared, this bike lets you do it all. Also, the people at Masi were very helpful as I was researching the bicycle and made me feel comfortable about the company behind the bike. Lastly need to give a shout out to the folks at Ben's Cycle in Milwaukee -- they were awesome!

Favorite Ride:   20-mile daily commute

Purchased At:   Ben's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   I have commuted on a Kona Smoke and a Specialized Allez. The Masi is a much better ride than either of those.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for seat swap. However, after a year of commuting on this bike, I think I'll be adding a rear derailer to increase its versatility.

Submitted by bpford59 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    simplicity, comfort and looks!

Weaknesses:    none yet!

Bottom Line:
This bike is sharp (rootbeer color) and it caught my eye as i was browsing for a singlespeed. most comfortable of the other singles, fixies i test rode.
can't wait to ride it more.

Favorite Ride:   masi spec. commuter

Purchased At:   alpine house, vt.