Specialized Daily 3 Commuter Bike

Trouble-free Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal gear rear hub and integrated rack and fenders ensure that the Daily 3 will be your ... yes, daily ... go-to bike.

Submitted by Josh N

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, lightweight, lifetime warranty frame, low maintenance drivetrain, upright riding position, hammered steel fenders, 700c wheelset, jagwire cable housing

Weaknesses:    Heavier total bike, no rear rack included, no genny lights, garbage pedals and a pretty uncomfortable saddle that may (hopefully) break in over time

Bottom Line:
This is actually by Globe, a division of Specialized, which handles their urban bikes. I bought this bike after snapping the frame on 1973 Raleigh Sport (repairable) and I wanted to be able to pull two small children in a bike trailer with confidence. I researched urban bikes extensively and this was one of the best going (helps my LBS sells them so I could test ride).

This is one of many bikes I have in my stable and this bike is built for urban use. It is not a long-distance riding bike (and by that, I mean, in excess of 25 mile in one pedal, though I am sure it could be done, it's not the purpose) and the purchase should be considered for such. That said, I have no problem riding in excess of 25 miles in one day on it as the geometry is pretty comfortable, though places more weight on your hips due to the more upright riding style (what you want in an urban environment so you can see everything unfolding before you and are not staring at the ground or craning your neck). This bike is heavier, but rolls really well and smoothy.

I purchased this bike because it had all the attributes of the Raleigh, which I have grown to love: steel fenders, a multi-geared internal hub, upright riding geometry and bolted wheels. There is only one permanent logo on the bike: the front "picture frame" into which you can put any manner of visuals (the plan is to change out pictures as desired) for your own "customization." I easily stripped the half dozen or so stickers from the bike using a hair dryer and now it is completely unadorned with brand names, including the "Made in China" sticker (yes, this bike frame is made in China, as were the wheels and probably more of the components. So are 99% of the bicycles produced today. Even if a company says they are Made in Germany or Austria or Italy, they can just be assembled there or painted there in order to make that claim. It really just comes down to quality control at the company and Specialized seems to have the dialed in).

Anyway, the bolt on wheels help prevent theft (vs. quick release wheels), which is nice if you are in the sketchier areas of town, though I suspect a fair number of vagrants carry an adjustable crescent since they all ride cheapie bikes which also tend to have bolt on wheels (though these are 700c wheels vs. 26", so likely wouldn't work). But, it's probably some deterrent given all the fixie hipsters that dominate the streets these days, etc.

The drivetrain is simple due to the Shimano 7 speed internal Nexus hub. Plenty of gear for most situations. I live in a mostly flat area and almost never get into the 6/7 gear. People in very hilly/mountainous areas may have their work cut out for them on this bike, however, and I would suggest a bike set up with a greater selection of gear ratios. But for moderate hills, this bike is just fine. It has a quick release cable and as mentioned, all you need is a 15mm crescent to losen the nuts and remove the wheel for a flat. The whole operation takes about one minute longer than with a skewered cogged deraileur setup, so no biggie there. You have to get the chain fairly tight to not have slap against the chainguard, and I may just eventually remove the chainguard since I like having full access to the chain for cleaning, lubrication, etc. and have no problem rolling my pant leg up or using a leg strap. I noted earlier versions of this bike came without a chainguard. The hub is rock solid, especially compared to the SRAM 3-speed setup that came with one of the other Daily bikes which just didn't seem to have near the Shimano build quality when I test rode it a few times. Wheels are pretty narrow with lower rolling resistance, beefy treaded and grippy tires. Nice machined aluminum crank and chainring.The weak point of the setup is the alloy pedals which, from what I can tell, have garbage bearings. Action is very ratcheted and not smooth. These will likely be the first item I replace, even before they break, as they are no doubt hindering my stroke.

Brakes are an alloy composition and seems stiff enough for stopping, even in the rain and with loaded panniers. I may eventually go to a more grippy brake pad when replacement time comes. The steel fenders are beautiful works of art, hammered and angled, they really are nice and worth their weight from road debris and in the wet. You will have no broken plastic fenders on this baby.

I am almost 6' 2" and had a real tossup between the L or XL and I ended up doing the L. It really fits me perfectly.

Gripes: This bike dropped the rear rack found on previous models in favor of a front rack. WHY? Front racks make the steering heavy and awkward. No protection for durables from the elements. I get they help balance the bike's heavier rear triangle but why not just put both on? So I had to drop $30 for a rear rack to use my existing panniers. I took off the front rack and could always add it back on. But it's steel and heavy and looks lame IMHO.