Electra Bicycle Company Electra Amsterdam Cruiser Bike

I purchased the Electra Amsterdam a week ago, and just love it. It's like a lazyboy on wheels. Shifts are very crisp, and stops with plenty of meaning. The paint job is perfect and the handlebars and seat are covered in a faux leather that makes it look authentic. It isn't a climber so if you live in a very hilly area, you may want to look elsewhere. If you are sick of using your road or mountain bike for "around the neighborhood" rides with your wife or kids, check out the Amsterdam, you won't regret it.

Submitted by eagleeyes a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2012

Strengths:    Looks.
Flat foot geometry.

Weaknesses:    Complete lack of quality.
Poor geometry at the front end. It will not hold a line with hands off the bars.
Poor chrome finish.
Coaster brake is weak. I had to add a front brake.
Shimano nexus shifts poorly (I have to ease off the pedals during a shift, or else it shifts from 1st directly into 3rd).

Bottom Line:
The poor quality of this bike never ceases to astonish me!

I've had this bike for almost four years now, and have never regretted a purchase more.

I bought it for the beautiful styling, and comfortable ride. What started off as a bike that made me smile every time I looked at it, has me cursing it more each time I ride it.

To wit:
After two months two spokes broke on the rear wheel (Yes, I am well aware of how to position myself to not overload the rear wheel, I ride a hardtail Cannondale mountain bike). Not a huge problem, just a poorly built wheel. Took it back to the shop, they put on a new wheel. Two weeks later, I went to ride home from work, another spoke had broken while the bike was parked!

All the screws holding the chain guard together, and the rear fender on have fallen out. The pant guards at the wheels have broken off. The bulb in the front light kept falling out of the socket. The generator self-destructed from too much vibration. The back fender screws fell out, causing the brackets to shear off, and finally, today, one of the seat rails cracked in half.

I should have ponied up and bought a Bakfiets.

Favorite Ride:   None any more, not on this

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes, Berkel

Similar Products Used:   Unknown brand crappy Holland bike which I beat the crap out of, without so much as a flat tire.
My old Schwinn Collegiate, also never a problem.

Bike Setup:   After-market front brake. Folding baskets on the rack. New lights because the rear fender fell off (it has a light attached), and the front light and generator broke.
Big Ding Dong bell (for fun).

Submitted by rick starr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort

Weaknesses:    As noted above

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike 3 years ago for my wife and she is happy with the comfortable ride. However, within a year all the chrome pieces of the bike (handlebar, stems and crank) began to pit). Within 2 years the chrome was cracking and within 3 years all the chrome was flaking off. I took the bike back to Orange Cycle and they replaced all the defective parts except the seat stem. Upon inspection after getting home, it is apparent that this stem is also flaking.
As a major rider for over 30 years (Schwinn Le Tour, Specialized and Trek) I find the quality of the bike to be lacking, considering the price. Screws are rusting and the bike has never been in the rain and is housed in a clean, dry garage. The Trek I currently ride has been in the rain a hundred times and exhibits no rust of screws, chrome or otherwise. My recommendation is if you are going to spend this amount of money for a bike, go with Trek, Cannondale, Specialized or any other top line bike. I do not consider Electra to be a top line bike.

Favorite Ride:   electra amsterdam

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle Orlando

Submitted by Scotsman in USA a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2009

Strengths:    upright position,just peddle away and enjoy the scenery,brilliant black paint job with gold pinstriping so really looks the part.wheels rims are also painted and pinstriped.roller brakes work perfectly.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Got sick of mountain bikes and not riding as much,time for an upright I thought,I was about to buy a townie 21d I had test ridden in another shop but luckily went into Rage cycles in Scottsdale and saw the 'Amsterdam balloon 8d' on sale,what a beautiful looking machine,reminded me of my bike when I was a teenager,I'm 52 now,got a test ride from Peter and I was hooked.
It's a 2009 model,great upright European cycling,the balloon tires certainly iron out the bumps and add to the looks,saddle is very comfy.
I've so far been riding 8 mile each morning just for fun and to get healthy as I'm now 270 pounds,no problems whatsoever so far.
I've read that Amsterdams are also flat foot technology,I'd strongly disagree.I'm 5'8",still OK to get both feet down but certainly not flatfoot,more really halfway between the ball of your feet and almost flatfoot.I really love riding this bike,it just seems to glide along and is a pleasure to ride,as time goes on I'm sure I'll start riding farther afield as it's so comfortable.
It's also the first bike I've owned that has nexus roller brakes that work from the hub,they seem to work perfectly and add to the bikes uncluttered look.
I know some people don't like the fact it isn't a true Dutch bike but who cares? Electra doesn't claim it is,it does what I want and looks the part and that's good enough for me.I'd certainly suggest don't buy if your looking for speed.

Favorite Ride:   electra amsterdam balloon 8d

Purchased At:   Rage cycles in Scott

Similar Products Used:   my last bike was a Marin indian fire trail.

Bike Setup:   just added lights on it and went for a night time ride.

Submitted by swrrlgrrl a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    Very strong frame, smooth ride, good visibility (high seat and big tires), smooth shifting, beautiful looks

Weaknesses:    Tires slip on anything but smooth asphalt or concrete--beware of sand or loose dirt! Coaster brakes take getting used to.

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful, smooth-riding bike. After riding mountain bikes for a while, this one rides "like buttah"--smooth, with clean shifting. Coaster brakes take some getting used to. The paint job is pretty and quite able to withstand your typical knocks--I took a nasty fall and only got a small scratch on the back rack! Add a back basket or fit one on the front and you've got the perfect bike for those in-town errands!

Favorite Ride:   Electra Amsterdam Classic 3 (ladies)

Purchased At:   City Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None, last bike was a Mongoose mountain bike.

Submitted by chrisolavitch a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, looks, simplicity

Weaknesses:    Seems a little cheaply built. Paint job not that great after really studying it. Rattles a lot. Light is REALLY cheap. I have already had to re-rivit the light on the mount. The gearing seems a little off.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike because I needed to get back in shape, I wanted to save some money riding to work, and I wanted to start trying to live a little "greener". I found it after doing some searching online and visiting my LBS. I have always been a little different when purchasing things. The looks grabbed me instantly. It's just oozes "cool". I had Jim at Bike Town order me one-which was just after the recall was over. I purchased it without even a test ride. But now after riding it a few weeks- the comfort has taken over the cool factor. Even my guys at work thought the bike was "the stuff!".

Favorite Ride:   Electra Amsterdam