Electra Bicycle Company Straight 8 Cruiser Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

The Straight Eight is a great machine for late-night rides to the pool hall, tattoo parlor and around the pits at the local track. It features Shimano 3-speed gearing, a wide cruiser saddle and a rugged triple-clamp fork.

Submitted by David Bryant a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2016

Strengths:    Very comfortable ride. Versitile design for street and off-road use.

Weaknesses:    Weighs 38 lb. so my wife can't put it on the bike carrier.

Bottom Line:
The first bicycle that I learned to ride as a young teen was a Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat. I have not ridden much since then, but I decided I wanted to get a bike that would ride similar to that. I wanted a coaster brake, a low center of gravity so I wouldn't have to stand on tippy-toes when I came to a stop, and multiple speeds. I searched on the internet and found the Electra Straight 8 seemed to be what I wanted. I called dealers all over the southeast, but none of them had one in stock. I hated to order one without having tried it first, but I realized I would have to take the risk. I ordered the bike and have been riding it a lot since I got it almost three months ago. I live in a very hilly area and the 8 speed hub works nicely on the hills. It is a great bike and my wife loves to ride it too - will probably have to buy another one :=)

Submitted by bill carter

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2015

Strengths:    this bike is the best smooth as silk looks gooks good as well buy this one you will see what a great ride it is:)

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
lightweight easy to ride realy comfortable stylish what more can you ask for get out and ride !!!!!!!!

Submitted by Larry Daly

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2013

Strengths:    I am 6' 4" all and 280 pounds. I ride my Straight 8 everywhere on vacation and when I am at the beach in Santa Barbara or Pismo Beach I get compliments everywhere I go. The bike is flawless, solid and rides so smooth. Not to good in the hills with only 3 gears but when I want to ride I pick this bike and not my fancy 21 speed road bike which climbs hills but look lousy and I never get any looks or compliments. In fact I am thinking of buying a new one as my paint has got a little chewed up on the bike rack over the years. My new bike rack is outrageous and the bike rides without any friction or rubbing on my other bikes at all. Love this one.

Weaknesses:    Not great in the hills

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever owned, which it had 10 gears.

Submitted by SilverBack14 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Style and ride position. Ape hanger type h-bars are bada$$!

Bottom Line:
Love my Straight 8. So cool looking and fun to ride. It's my go to bike for weekend get aways.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by choclodite a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth and the most comfortable ride that I ever had. Big fatti-o tires that cushion the worst of bumpy roads. The reclined ride with smooth 3 speeds.

Weaknesses:    Probably the coaster brakes -- they squeak a bit too much. May need to be greased or broke in more.

Bottom Line:
A super, comfortable ride. I had an Electra Cruiser 3i and it was nice, but after I saw the straight 8, I had to have one - and after I rode it, I immediately wanted to buy it. It's better looking in person than in a photograph. It's a smooth ride and the gearing is wonderful. I have been riding it every night and it works out muscles I thought I never had because of it's reclined, recumbent style.

Favorite Ride:   Electra Straight 8