Electra Bicycle Company Straight 8 Cruiser Bike

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

The Straight Eight is a great machine for late-night rides to the pool hall, tattoo parlor and around the pits at the local track. It features Shimano 3-speed gearing, a wide cruiser saddle and a rugged triple-clamp fork.

Submitted by Larry Daly

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2013

Strengths:    I am 6' 4" all and 280 pounds. I ride my Straight 8 everywhere on vacation and when I am at the beach in Santa Barbara or Pismo Beach I get compliments everywhere I go. The bike is flawless, solid and rides so smooth. Not to good in the hills with only 3 gears but when I want to ride I pick this bike and not my fancy 21 speed road bike which climbs hills but look lousy and I never get any looks or compliments. In fact I am thinking of buying a new one as my paint has got a little chewed up on the bike rack over the years. My new bike rack is outrageous and the bike rides without any friction or rubbing on my other bikes at all. Love this one.

Weaknesses:    Not great in the hills

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever owned, which it had 10 gears.

Submitted by SilverBack14 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Style and ride position. Ape hanger type h-bars are bada$$!

Bottom Line:
Love my Straight 8. So cool looking and fun to ride. It's my go to bike for weekend get aways.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by choclodite a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth and the most comfortable ride that I ever had. Big fatti-o tires that cushion the worst of bumpy roads. The reclined ride with smooth 3 speeds.

Weaknesses:    Probably the coaster brakes -- they squeak a bit too much. May need to be greased or broke in more.

Bottom Line:
A super, comfortable ride. I had an Electra Cruiser 3i and it was nice, but after I saw the straight 8, I had to have one - and after I rode it, I immediately wanted to buy it. It's better looking in person than in a photograph. It's a smooth ride and the gearing is wonderful. I have been riding it every night and it works out muscles I thought I never had because of it's reclined, recumbent style.

Purchased At:   Summit City Bikes

Bike Setup:   straight 8 stock

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Build quality, style, and comfort. The motorcycle style forks are great and are not offered on the new '07 Straight 8. (Electra has gone to regular front fork and will sell you the chrome front end for about $150 extra!) Try to find an earlier model if you can.

Weaknesses:    While the Nexus hub is easy to operate, there is some slop to it that would not adjust out. (After coasting, when you resume pedaling, the crank sort of "freewheels" for a bit before grabbing.) This bothered me some at first, but I've since tuned it out.

Keep in mind that this is a cruiser. You will be disappointed if you expect it to climb hills well.

As for price: The cost didn't phase me too much because after seeing the bike, I just had to have it. After owning it for a while, I have never even thought about the cost. (I'm only mentioning it under "weaknesses" because the others have.) The good things in life cost money, and if you like cool bikes, this Electra is definately one of the good things in life! Just buy it! You won't be sorry.

Bottom Line:
This is by far the coolest bike I have ever owned! (I currently own four) I have described my Electra Straight 8 as a piece of rolling art, and as a bike that you cannot ride without smiling. The finish on the bike is outstanding! Great lines, deep black shiny paint, beautiful red spokes, cool fat tires, perfect handlebars, etc, etc, etc. It is funky, without being tacky. Just right... and almost everyone you meet will tell you so. (Even hard-core guys - One guy was walking his $8000 carbon road bike into the shop, took one look, and said "Cool bike Man!") I still find myself staring at it in the garage, even after owning it for over a year. I LOVE this cruiser!!!

The comfortable seat and the Fatty-O tires eliminate the need for any kind of suspension and makes cruising easy. I have ridden the "8" on an 8-10 mile "pub crawl" and felt great. (Maybe it was the beer!) Even when riding with guys on custom cruisers and chopper bikes, the "8" always seems to draw the most compliments. Simply awesome...

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Because I love this bike so much, and have discovered that cruising is so much fun, I'm about to part with another $600 and buy an Electra Boney Finger, which is basically a Straight 8 in different colors. (I'm going to put WHITEWALL Fatto-O's on that one!)

Bike Setup:   This bike looks so good that I didn't want to junk it up with too many options. I've kept it stock except for a small tailight, custom "motorcycle style" handlebar bag, and black Electra streamers. Not wanting to put a water bottle on the "8" either, I ride with a black Camelbak "Mayhem" backpack that holds all my stuff.

Bike Rack: I bought a new bike rack for my truck when I bought this bike - the hitch-mount Rackster. The Fatty-O tires will just fit in the tire channels and the Rackster has worked great for all my other bikes too. (That's another $300... but more great gear.)

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Tapered headtube vs. straight 1-1/8. Performance difference?

Would like to hear what you guys have to say. Yeah yeah I know the marketing brochures of big guys always highlight tapered headtube like it'll give you steroid like power up the hills and down the twisties, but we all know better. However, I'm sure tapere h/t does give some overall stiffness to th ... Read More »