Bianchi Axis Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: WTB MP250 Stealth
Tires: 700 x 35c Kenda Kwick

Submitted by NvrCryWolf a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2014

Strengths:    Triple crank with 11-32 cartridge gets me up hills easily and down hills fast. Frame is rugged - carries my computer and papers to work daily. Handling is quick - avoids potholes and distracted drivers with ease.

Weaknesses:    Noisy front brakes, average braking power. Tiagra front derailleur less durable than 105 or Ultegra, but shifts well enough.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! It's a 2006 Axis I bought it new in 2007. I commute 3 seasons/year 6 miles each way, and do 20-30 mile pleasure rides most weekends. The frame is equipped with attachment points for a rack (installed on day 1) that holds panniers with my computer, papers, and the frequent sack of groceries. After four years of communting the original tires wore out and i replaced them with Continental Contact Kevlar-belted tires. These roll with less resistance, and i've only had one flat in three years. Did i mention i love this bike? I smile every time i ride it.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Champlain Bike Trail (VT) and Niagara River Trail (ON)

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   2006 Cannondale Cyclocross Disc

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Bianchi Axis with Shimano Tiagra STI Shifters. See details at http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2006&brand=Bianchi&model=Axis.

Submitted by Andrew Coffin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame, not at all harsh despite being aluminum. Carbon fork helps smooth things out too, was not the norm at the time. Accelerates well, quick handling a real plus on single track. 105 shifters have been very reliable, brakes are good if not great Triple in front and wide gearing in rear mean you can climb anything. I was prepared to ditch the wheels, but they have been bulletproof - I've ridden tons of rocks and roots, only now need to true them more than 5 years later.

Weaknesses:    Riding postion a little too stetched out Echo prior post on routing of rear derailleur cable, which rubs on the beautiful paint job. Front dreailleur routing is through a pulley to a bottom-pull derailleur, poor design for a bike meant to be ridden in mud. Sugino crank set is not the greatest. Rear free-hub is noisy. All minor quibles.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2004, with the checkered flag paint scheme (way cool), Long overdue review prompted by my purchase of a virtually new 2006 for my sister yesterday (sure hope she likes it!) Value rating a 5 for the years from '07 or so back to '04, Bianchi started dumbing down the parts spec in later years.

I bought this bike ut 5 yeasrs ago, abowhen I figured out that I could commute almost half-way to work off-road. It has not disappointed. I've been amazed at the terrain I can ride this on, including some truly nasty eastern singletrack. Its the perfect vacation bike, with a good topo map you can launch yourself on any loop without fear of what you'll encounter.

Within a few months of having bought this, my mt bike (classic Wicked Fat Chance) was gathering dust in the basement. Its not my primary road bike, but if I hadn't bought that one first it probably would have been.

Favorite Ride:   Any singletrack on my cross bike

Purchased At:   Shop in Moab via RBR

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   105 shifters, XT rear derailleur, 105 FD, Shimano canti brakes, Alex ALX320 wheels, Thomson Elite seatpost, Speeedplay Frogs, Specialized in-line brake levers (so/so)

Submitted by Sully a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is great but the motor that drives it is the real strength

Weaknesses:    Brakes! They sound like a hurt animal when trying to stop.

Bottom Line:
I race a regional cx series in the fall and ride it on many 50+ mile rides during the rest of the year. I avg 22 mph on my true roadie and just under 21 on my 2009 axis. The relaxed geometry actually feels better than my roadie enabling me to go longer distances. It's also a great bike for fsr's, single and double track. If you want a bike that can do it all then this bike is for you.

Favorite Ride:   N GA

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized cross and cannondale cross

Bike Setup:   Upgrade to Ultegra front & rear + shifter, mavic krysium wheels for road rides w/ conti gators, fizik aliante saddle.

Submitted by dwest66 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Does freaking everything. and keeps going. Looks good while doing it too. Other riders are always oooing and ahhing. "look its a bianchi" I love that Celeste Green.

Weaknesses:    That darn bottom bracket squaks at me like a bird. I thought it was b/c I dished out excesive abuse, turns out lots of folks have this issue. The stock tires went flat all the time. The cables a a bit stretched so theres a delay in shifting. I also got a 57cm when I needed a 61, but thats my fault for letting a salesman make a quick sell.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike b/c I wanted the versatility of a road bike and something I could go down trails and something I could ride in traffic. It does it all. I've bombed down trails, jumped curbs, and kept up on club rides. I do primarily road riding now (25 miles+, avg 18.5 mph) on it, and it is super stiff. Great going down hills and up. I haven't had to true the wheels yet, amazingly. Its a bit heavy and beefy, but for all it is capable of, it needs to be. After 3+ years of abuse, its still going. And I love passing guys on Looks and Cervelos on that beast. Brings joy to my heart.

Favorite Ride:   mingo/428 loop

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   This is my first cyclocross ride.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except i swapped out the tires for Conti Gators. I am probably gonna replace the wheels, but only b/c I want lighter ones.

Submitted by Headman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Versatility, durability, build, style.

Weaknesses:    Front breaks squeal, particularly when wet. The stock knobby tires are not "road ready" but I just can't seem to replace them given the safety edge I need.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike! Leaving aside its sublime beauty, it is an all around champ. As I live in Manhattan, I never know what my ride will be. Central Park? Across the George Washington Bridge to New Jersey? Upstate? On road/off road? Happily, it doesn't matter. The Axis will do it all with grace, style and fun. I may even take up cyclocross racing.

Favorite Ride:   Central Park, NYC

Purchased At:   Arcadia Shops - Leno

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was a 1985 Specialized SC with SunTour components (very old school). I was truely the first on my block to recognize the city use of a mountain bike, although by today's standards it is more of a cross-over. I still love that bike and ride it as my city beater. A classic - even with the albatross handle bars!

Bike Setup:   As I ride city streets, I swapped the pedals for a Shimano SPD that has clips on one side and standard pedal cage on the other so I can bail if needed. I also added top brake levers (ala Trek)so I can ride in an upright position to keep my head above the traffic. I purchased Bianchi bottle cages and water bottles in celeste blue (what else) just to trick it out a bit (I note that Trek is using a clone color in the 2009 Tour de France). I use a Topeak MTX carrier and bag which I can remove when needed. The bike travels on a SoftRide hitch-mounted bike carrier which blows all competitors away for its utility and looks.

Axis 1.0 or ?????

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so this may have been discussed already, if so, I apologize. I've been a casual rider for the last 6 years and I'm now going to get a little more serious. I just purchased to 2014 specialized allez comp smartweld and it comes with the Axis 1.0 standard, My quest ... Read More »

Bianchi Axis Cyclocross bike ( all steel)

Hello guys! I finally have a cyclocross bike!! here is what happened, visited one of the LBS Saturday just to kinda look for a bike for my wife, just something that she can use around here( trying to get her into road biking).My neighbor/owner showed me this Bianchi Axis cyclocross (all steel) he ga ... Read More »

Specializd DT Swiss Axis 1.0 vs. Mavic Aksium wheelset

I just purchased a 2013 Specialized Roubaix a few weeks ago and the bike came equipped with a Specialized OEM DT Swiss Axis 1.0 wheel set. According to this link from Specialized web site: [url=http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/wheels/roval-training/dt-axis-10]Specialized Bicycle Components[/url ... Read More »

DT Axis 4.0 Wheelset - What is noticeable upgrade without breaking bank?

I just ordered a Roubaix Expert SL4 Di2 (in my size) It should arrive tomorrow or the next day! I've been reading a few reviews about the DT Axis 4.0 Wheelset. They seem to be average at best. I don't know if I can get any trade value for the DT Axis 4.0 Wheels from my LBS before I take the bike ... Read More »

DT Axis 4.0 Wheels on Roubaix Expert SL4 - Alternatives or stay with Stock?