Bianchi Roger Cyclocross Bike

• Pedals: Resin
  • Wheels: WTB Single-Duty

Submitted by Hotep a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Good durable bike. Not sure how it races but as a everday commuter winter riding bike, it's been fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Cranks are not great, but everything else is pretty good considering the price.

The only other thing I would say is even with the Easton Alum, this thing doesn't ride what I would call great. If it were 853 Reynolds, Holy Moly!

Bottom Line:
I thought I would post up a review after I've had this bike a while.

Wanting a single speed road bike, and loving the durability and power of a disc brake, I was ready to have somebody build me a custom frame. Then, came Roger.

Basically I've owned this more than a year now. I use this bike as my crappy weather, training, commuting, beat the sh** out of it bike.

I replaced the cranks, saddle, tires, mounted up fenders and boom. The best Thrasher Communter Bike ever.

Changing a rear flat with fenders is an issue so I keep the tires fresh to minimize the risk, run biggish tires with 28-35 tubes.

Best 1000 bucks I've ever spent.

I liked this bike so much I went and bought a Bianchi Lewis (the single speed mountain bike) as a result.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Similar Products Used:   I found NOTHING like this bike, that is why I bought it.

Submitted by bianchiSS a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2007

Strengths:    Brakes - great stopping power in wet, snowy, slushy, or dry conditions
Light frame and carbon fork
Fast! Snappy acceleration

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheels, frame transfers all road vibrations directly to your body

Bottom Line:
I've been commuting 10 miles round trip in Massachusetts on this bike for 6 months, and am still happy I bought this bike. The bike is pretty light, responds instantly when you put the hammer down, and handles very nicely. Being a SS means there is little in the way of maintenance to take care of, just brakes and keeping the chain clean. The BB creaks a little bit when I stand up to pedal, but it may be the BB shell rather than the BB itself - at any rate after ~1500 miles it's still spinning smoothly. I have not really tested this bike's capability offroad, but I appreciate its durability every time it rains, snows, or I hit a pothole. Not exactly a cushy commuter, but a fast, fun bike to ride twice every workday.

Favorite Ride:   Snowy commutes

Purchased At:   Wheelworks, Somervil

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Tourmalet, 2003

Bike Setup:   Campy Record levers, tektro cx levers
Planet Bike 700c fenders (the wider ones)
Crank Brothers stainless steel eggbeaters (now rusting - wtf?)
Rest is stock

Submitted by Brian Logan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    Simple design bristling with features.

Weaknesses:    Too big of stock gear (unless used on flat asphalt)

Bottom Line:
The ultimate in year round commuter/winter training partner. Discs don't mind slush, single speed drivetrain reduces maintenance, and superlight aluminum will not rust. Great looks, great handling. Swap the front cog for something around 36, and ride.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi Lewis

Purchased At:   Bike Haven-NJ

Similar Products Used:   'Cross bikes from Felt, Marin, and a few other commuter build ups.

Bike Setup:   Moustache bars, avid mountain levers, eggbeater sl, 36/16 surly gears, and serfas bar tape.

Submitted by simplegreen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2007

Strengths:    Thick paint. Light frame/fork. BB7 brakes add a punch to this single speed.

Weaknesses:    Cranks/BB. Top tube cable moves around too much. zip tie it down!
Wheels are heavy.

Bottom Line:
To have a bike designed by Chuck Yeager's daughter, Sky, is a treat in itself. 2007 is the last year of production on this bike. Got my hands on one quickly and built it up in the shop. Great paint finish. Could use extra clamp on top tube for the cable rubs I see happening in the future. Zip tie will work I guess. The top tube has a nice square shape toward the seat tube for a more relaxed feel when the bike is slung up on your shoulder. Wheels are heavy but the frame and fork are rather light. Whole bike with pedals weighs 20.5 lbs. Not bad. Gearing is large out of the box. 48x17 but went 42x17 for the woods. Sugino cranks are not my cuppa so I will change it out after this season.

Favorite Ride:   any push bike

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Lewis, MUSS, San Jose and Trek 69er.

Bike Setup:   Stock so far

Submitted by ccrider a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    frame and fork

Weaknesses:    all the parts

Bottom Line:
For a single speed with a MSRP of $1000+, this bike should be ready to race right out of the box. It is not. It comes with a mediocre drivetrain and very heavy wheels. You have to change the gearing (I swaped in a 42t ring), get lighter wheels (the WTB single duty's are okay for a heavy 29er, not a cross bike), and better cranks. The Suginos with splined bb kept creaking, (I'd rather have square taper). The frame and fork are light and handle well, but the parts suck. Fun bike for cruising around town and working on your spin, but as is with stock parts it's not up to the task of racing cross. Overpriced for what you get.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere