Bianchi San Jose Cyclocross Bike

• Headset: VP AheadSet, 1-1/8" threadless
  • Handlebar: Bianchi alloy
  • Stem: Bianchi 3D forged
  • Pedals: Wellgo resin

Submitted by charlie d a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2015

Strengths:    I bought mine in 07. Currently have over 15,000 miles on it, tough as a hammer. Nice ride, predictable handling. Run it with 25 Gatorskins in the summer and 35 light knobs with fenders in the winter. Added my trusty King headset, a Brooks B17 saddle and a slight riser bar and its set. Wore through the rim sidewalls after 3 years, laced up some DT RR585's with DT spokes. I commute daily on this bike, it has been my main source of transportation for 8 years.

Weaknesses:    Front brake sucks, saddle is a joke, and I was not impressed with the headset. All easily remedied problems. Trash canned the front brake, added a Brooks saddle and a King headset. The paint is very fragile, I ended up sand blasting it a letting it rust. It now has a unique finish people love, and it doesn't shine enough to be attractive to thieves.

Bottom Line:
If you can find one of these get it. A tough durable nice riding bike that will last a long time.

Submitted by Paul Musso a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    This bike rides beautifully. Both on the road and on trails. Easy to lean into corners. It's versatile, I use it as a commuter/beater, but also ride it off-road and race it. Flattened top tube for shouldering, braze-ons for fenders, this bike is ready for modification. With a few parts upgrades, you're ready to roll.
Also, trouble-free. Hello non-serious cyclists, trouble free bike.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I'm not a weight weenie, but in cyclocross, as well as commuting, you're going to be shouldering the bike. For a singlespeed, it's a heavy bike.

Bottom Line:
First, a brief explanation of the purchase price. I got a team discount. I think retail price was about $700.
So, there's been times when I looked at a crappy department store bike, the ones with "full suspension" that never see dirt, and are used as commuters. I've often thought about the kind of bike I'd design for mass consumption, and this is it. This bike is the proverbial cockroach that will survive the apocalypse. Why did Bianchi stop making this bike?

Purchased At:   Missing Link Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   I also have a Kona Major-Major. This bike is very light but doesn't handle as well.

Bike Setup:   I replace a few things with what I had in the parts box. The crankset was alright, but eventually replaced with an outboard bearing set up. Stock bars replaced with Ritchey "Bell Lap."
At one point I replaced the straight-blade steel fork with a Ritchey Comp carbon fork, but the handling suffered, I put the steel fork back on.

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Bombproof, comfortable, and fairly fast for a bike with 1 gear.

Weaknesses:    Braking performance

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to spin around New York, and for commuting after I crashed in central park and totaled my road bike. It's completely bulletproof, and rides like a dream. The San Jose eats potholes and cobblestones and keeps on trucking.

Long story short, this bike is a winner, and is a perfect beater/ commuter. I swapped the fixie for a 16, because sometimes I like to stop peddling.

The only weakness I've noticed is that the braking surface on the stock wheels are weak, and don't like the rain.

Favorite Ride:   Central Park Laps

Purchased At:   Toga Bikes- Westside

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with 28's instead of the cross tires.

Submitted by jobertel a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Simple. Just get on it and ride.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (but bombproof). Front brake hanger doesn't really fit. Front brake chatter. Tires not up to slippery going. Went down on ice last winter, broke collar bone.

Bottom Line:
Spend more time on SJ than all other bikes. Changed freewheel to 19 and can go up most hills around here. Have taken on several 50+ mile tours. Enables me to ride w/ slower riders.

Favorite Ride:   Any rural tours

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Stock except 6 degree stem, gearing and fenders.

Submitted by FunkytownNative a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Crashed it....a lot...but it has held up. I have had all 200 lbs of me SMASH into a pothole at night that I didn't see coming while going fairly fast and flatted the tube but the wheel was fine. The hubs turn smooth, the rims rarely require truing and I ride this bike at least 4-5 times a week and hard (for a commuter) over potholes and all. Steel!

Weaknesses:    Front brake shudder. I'm suprised more people haven't mentioned this. I am one of three that I have spoken to that have this problem. But I ride it fixed + clipped in so it's very rare that I even use the brake, which is good because I had to toe the pads so far in to quiet them that they have lost quite a bit of power. It's been over a year....I wonder if it's too late to try to get a new fork from Bianchi... Oh yeah also I broke the bars clean in half at the stem....but I think I had over-tightened them. Shoulda come with a deeper drop front cable hanger too.

Bottom Line:
Nice inexpensive steel commuter/beater, relaxed geometry, nice wheels, comfy levers.

Favorite Ride:   Through the city

Purchased At:   Providence Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar too extensively.

Bike Setup:   61 cm with stock wheels, Conti Gatorskins 700x23, Egg Beater SLs, silver fenders.