Boardman CX Team Cyclocross Bike

Overview The ultimate in versatility and performance, the Team CX is a disc brake equipped fully UCI legal Cyclo Cross race bike that is equally at home on the daily commute, super hilly sportive road ride and light touring as it is blasting around offroad trails in the way that only a lightweight Cross bike can. The Team CX incorporates the new 2011 Boardman CX frame design that includes performance enhancing features such as front and rear disc brakes with the rear being mounted to the chainstay for improved braking performance and ease of mudguard and rack fitment, custom tube profiles designed for the rigours of offroad riding, BB30 chainset for reduced weight and increased stiffness, full carbon disc specific fork with tapered steerer for increased front end stiffness and steering precision and curved wishbone seatstays for comfort. All of this adds up to a bike that offers uncompromised performance whatever you throw at it. Frame highlights: - New superlight alloy frame constructed of triple butted tubing - Full smooth welding - Custom tube profiles designed specifically for the forces and performance criteria of offroad riding - Oversize box section chainstays for increased power transfer - Asymmetric chainstays with rear disc brake caliper mounting for increased brake performance - Curved wishbone seatstays for enhanced comfort - BB30 bottom bracket for reduced weight and increased stiffness - Disc specific full carbon fork with tapered steerer for increased stiffness and steering precision - Fully mudguard and rear rack compatible

Submitted by Ewain a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    The sheer versatility of this bike, while still managing to be balanced, and not sacrifice being a really great handling bike.
It's a real fun ride, which for the money really can't be beaten by anything I've yet seen... or for quite a bit more in fact!
Incredible value for money, and a do it all, ride anything, confidence inspiring ride.

Weaknesses:    It is a tad heavier than most equivalent priced road bikes... but thats cause it is also a CX bike!

Bottom Line:
I'd looked at one of these a while back, but when I had a nasty crash that left me with a broken elbow not long after cracking two ribs, so I decided I needed a more "sensible" bike while I recovered and I picked one up 2nd hand in good condition.

Well, I was surprised at it's handling, I'd expected a heavier, more sluggish, ride that had good dependable brakes, but nothing much in the fun department, and it's actually been a lot of fun!

The geometry is a little odd for a crosser but it works, 73deg ST, 73deg HT that you'd expect on the road, but a slightly higher 65mm BB drop, mixed with a 430mm chainstays, and 397mm forks give a stable, but not boring ride, and the stiff BB30 BB and tapered HT give a stiff and responsive frame that I've really enjoyed.

After using the disc brakes (now BB7s'), I'm now looking at replacing the road bike with a Specialized Roubaix Disc as I've been so impressed with consistent braking in the typically wet UK autumn/winter conditions.

This bike has ridden everything, and taken it all like a muddy labrador with wagging tail and silly grin (much like it's owner), and a set of 28mm Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons, mudguards, and racks has made it a great trainer/commuter too.

The SRAM Apex rear mech and shifters run smooth and reliably, as did the bullet proof Ritchey wheels and tyres, and the FSA gossamer BB30 crankset is dependable and stiff.

I have replaced a few bits, fore-instance the c*#p Microshift front mech met with instant upgrade, but a new Apex one is cheap for big improvements.

I personally didn't get on with the bars(wrong shape), stem(too long), or saddle(not a flite!), but that's just my preference (I'm fussy), everyone's different.

Would suggest getting some after-market brake pads though, vast improvement.

In summary - For a do it all ride that you won't fear locking up and can still enjoy riding, I can't recommend it enough.

Favorite Ride:   Windsor Great Forest, UK

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   After a very messy and destructive season, it now runs Ultegra 6700, BB7 brakes, and ZTR Iron Cross wheels.

Colnago cx-1 vs BMC Team Machine SLR01??

Hi new to the forum so I hope i'm in the right place. I have been an avid cyclist for most of my life but have got into the road bikes quite seriously since 2009. My initial purchase was a colnago arte with a 105 running gear. I love the bike, the way it rides etc and even dont mind the lit ... Read More »

WTT: My 1993 Miyata Team frame for any old CX frame

I apologize if I need to place an ad in the Classifieds for this, I figured since money wasn't changing hands it wouldn't be necessary but correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 1993 Miyata Team road frame that currently gets used as a winter road bike. Its sad to abuse a nice frame like this, plus it ... Read More »

Some pics of my Boardman CX Team

Picked this up a few weeks ago, came from a Salsa Chili Con Crosso which was superb but I decided discs were the way forward. I don't race, my cx riding tends to be 2-3 hour local rides, 50/50 mix of road and trail. Here in SW England the trails are gloopy as hell in Winter (and there's lots of cl ... Read More »

Scott CX Team Reviews?

Anyone have one? I am thinking about getting one so any info or advice on real world use would be appreciated.Read More »

Colnago CX-1 and Team Type 1 in CALIFORNIA

Pros in my own backyard this week! I had the pleasure of watching the Stage 2 of the Tour of California yesterday, Davis-Santa Rosa. It is a very cool thing to see the same bikes I work with all day being taken to their absolute limit by the pros. I snagged a few low-quality pics of the Team Type ... Read More »