Cannondale Cross XR 6 Cyclocross Bike

• Crank: FSA Omega Compact, 36/46
  • Handlebars: Control Tech Grande Compact

Submitted by matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    light, climbs extremely well, nice look.

Weaknesses:    components are not great, tiagra shifters are disappointing - big step down from 105, welds are big and lumpy, lacking the craftmanship I'd like to see. also, this is a fairly stiff/harsh ride, good for some people but coming off a 29er softtail it takes some getting used to.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike. I spent a while looking for a lower cost, relatively light 'cross ride and ended up with the XR6. I ride mtn mainly (no road bike), and found the handling was pretty quick. At low speeds the bike is twitchy, kind of have to stay on your game, once you get into the big ring it seems to settle out and actually feels pretty solid. Good winter/mud-season training bike. I dont think the bike is afraid to race either. I'm 6'4" and got the 60cm, fits me well.

Favorite Ride:   dead moose alley

Similar Products Used:   2002 Rocky Mtn Rail, 57cm.

Bike Setup:   stock except went with a Sram rival 180mm crank (35/50, that's why it cost more), running maxxis raze 35mm tires, and of course had to get a different saddle.

Submitted by deel833 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Well built and good components for the purchase price.

Weaknesses:    I do rub the front tire when turning if the pedal is forward but that is a minor issue and was corrected with ease.

Bottom Line:
I have been a triathlete (age grouper) and have started to commute to work which is a great ride across dirt roads, gravel roads, wooden boardwalks, streets, and a business highway section. I had been riding my Cannondale Road but the multi terrain makes it less then enjoyable. My commuting is my way of thumbing my nose at the gas prices and oil companies. I have been enjoying it also as I get home with no stress and have left work at work. The bike responds well and the handling is great, all of the bumps that were rocking me hard are now just a smooth ride. I am a big Cannondale fan and wanted to stay with the company.

Favorite Ride:   all are good

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   This is my first Cyclocross bike and I am going at the same speeds as my road bike therefore I may sell my road bike and just ride this one.