Cannondale Cyclocross Disc Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 30c Hutchinson ProSeries Gold Elite

Submitted by Martin Fano

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to ride. Solid frame. Good brakes. Bought mine in 2008 and to date have done around 13,000 miles on this bike. Nothing has broken...still on the original brake pads...will replace the chain as it is starting to show signs of streching. Sora components have worked perfectly. I changed the "razor blade" seat for a moon saddle. Put schwable marathon rubber on it.I have put a Freeload bike rack on the back..thie requires no attachment points.

Weaknesses:    I have since bought a Cannodale Trail mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes....far superior to regular wire activated disc brakes..So I prefer the hydraulic disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
After 13,000 miles it still goes very well. I keep the bike indoors and do a begining and end of season maintenance on the drive train / brakes...had the crank ball bearings cleaned and repacked.I have used the bike for regular commuting with saddle bags and for general fitness riding. I bought mine new..and did not pay as much as $1499! Very happy with this bike..no plans to replace it any time soon.

Submitted by jollyGreenGiant a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Strengths:    Disks, light, stiff, Frame and fork are CAAD9 Cannondale, enough said. Second brake levers are nice but do take up some space, enough room for the lights but not much if any for a computer, I think I'll leave it off this bike, might be nice that way!

Wheels seem real nice so far. Bottom bracket and cranks aren't known for durability but seem OK so far. I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Cross bikes are just so good at many things, it's a shame bikes are all sold as sports things and not utilitarian in nature, I want something that's fast, efficient and comfortable but still can fit large tires, fenders and a rack and still be fast, efficient and comfortable. Darn near perfect with this bike...

Weaknesses:    Components aren't that great, but will get replaced at the first sign of weakness. Just the way it is I suppose... I'm fine with it.

Needs rack mounts! I'll have to use P-clips which I'd rather not do but there weren't many options for me in terms of Cannondale disk cross with rack mounts.

Needs fender mounts too in the rear, I'll figure something out but would rather not have to.

Bottom Line:
Actually the 2008 X7. So far so good. I have a nice 2003 R1000 for fair weather use as I commute 30 RT to work. This bike is my new winter ride. I think the Sora shifters will be better with thick winter gloves as Ultegra/105/DA are tricky when you go to push the inner lever with some think gloves on. The Sora's have the seperate thumb button. So far the lower end components shift fine ( My R1000 is full Ultegra 9-spd for comparison ), impressed so far with this bike and of course, the disks are awesome. First two commute days have been through blinding wind and rain and this bike did great. Can't wait to get some fenders and a rack mounted, will probably do SKS P50 with some Nokian W106 tires to take me through the coastal New England winter. Debating still on the rack and pannier setup...

My value rating is 5 cause I got a new bike for a used price off ebay. Overall rating is based on what it is, not some $2500 cross bike but a < $1000 cross bike with an amazing frame and brakes and just OK components, it'll be a great bike to work with over time.

Favorite Ride:   Any miles are good ones!

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Really torn between a Cannondale cross disk and Motobecane Fantom Outlaw. Disks are required for winter use in my neck of the woods, I ride inland and back to the ocean and weather can be pretty brutal.

Bike Setup:   NiteRider Mi-newt Dual X2, Superflash... other stuff soon enough.

Submitted by Jon a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Bottom Line:

Favorite Ride:   Any miles are good ones!

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   NiteRider Mi-newt Dual X2, Superflash... other stuff soon enough.

Submitted by huboon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Strengths:    Avid BB7 disc brakes; frame rigidity; surprisingly, I am very happy with the stock saddle (Selle Italia);

Weaknesses:    Tiagra shifters work fine but have a cheap feel; also the gearing (36T compact crank should've been a 34T) may make climbing slightly tough for tall or fat guys

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a beefy bike I could take on asphalt or dirt roads and I'm glad I got this rig. It seems at home dodging potholes on crappy old asphalt. The 35mm tires help absorb some of the shock the rigid frame transfers toward the loins. Something for big guys to note: At 6'5", I got the biggest frame available (60cm) but the 120mm stem was still too long, so after a few months of trying to adjust I finally had to break down and get a shorter stem -- much more comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   old roads closed to motor vehicles

Similar Products Used:   none really...only my MTB and ancient Nishiki 10-speed

Bike Setup:   still stock except: 70mm Thomson X2 stem; road-friendly 700x35 tires; Eggbeater SL pedals

Submitted by cyclomarc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff frame, great brakes. Incredibly durable wheels, excellent Shimano dravtrain.

Weaknesses:    Seat is terrible, brakes can be noisy. Cranks a bit flexible. Worrisome flex in bars and stem on steep climbs.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Cannondale after months of research and demo rides. It was the "liveliest" of all the bikes I test rode and just felt solid, with great acceration. I decided this bike offered the best combo of value and componentry for the price and liked that the frame is built in the US. The disks are a great touch too. Since I bought it I have upgraded the cranks and BB to Carbonlord and Ultegra, both major improvements. After the upgrade the bike feels much stiffer as the stock cranks aren't up to big riders (I'm 215lbs) and hill climbs. I also upgraded the seat as the factory one is awful. XT pedals and Michelin tires round out the changes. Overall, the bike has held up well, the wheels remain true even after some highly abusive rides and a couple of cross races on very rough terrain. The brakes continue to work well, though the pads get noisy and need to be removed and deglazed occasionally. Worth the extra time for their reassuring nature in my opinion.
Ride quality is good, the frame is stiff and the weight is very reasonable. These bikes climb amazingly well, though the stiff alloy frame will beat you up on rough terrain. Overall I am thrilled with my choice, great stock and even better with a few mods.

Favorite Ride:   Combo and pavement and dirt

Purchased At:   Sim's Bike shop, Med

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer MB, various cross bikes test ridden.

Bike Setup:   2004 Cannondale Cyclocross Disc. Carbonlord cranks, Ultegra BB, Ultegra Chain, Serfas Seat, Michelin cyclocross Jet tires, XT pedals.

Disc brake compatible cyclocross wheels

Hi Guys: I'm building up a Norco CCX frame into a mountain bike flavoured commuter with the parts off of my Kona Dew. The wheels on the Dew are pretty skookum and I'd like to get something that is disc specific (the frame is disc only) but lighter (I think I'm running some low end Deore / Alex 2 ... Read More »

Fenders on a Cyclocross Disc - no fender Mounts

As the title states, I am awaiting delivery on my new commuter - a Focus Mares AX 2.0 Disc and wanted to throw some clip on fenders (no eyelets) on there for the nasty Seattle weather. The issue is a lot of the clip on fenders use standard road brake mounting bolts for zip-tie placement. does an ... Read More »

Interesting dicsussion on the durability of disc brakes in cyclocross

[url=http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-ideas-for-disc-brakes-in-wet-conditions_272308]Technical FAQ: Ideas for disc brakes in wet conditions[/url]Read More »

Chinese New Di2 Carbon Cyclocross frames, disc frame IP-105-D, V brake frame IP-105-V

Hello Guys, This is Peter from Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd [url=http://www.xmiplay.cn]Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co., Ltd. - Seat Post, Cartridge Headset, Bottle Cage[/url] [url]www.xmiplay.com[/url] Now we have newest Di2 function Cyclocross frames, one is for disc brake IP-105-D, ... Read More »

Using a BMC Granfondo GF02 Disc for Cyclocross

Has anyone used a BMC Granfondo GF02 Disc for cyclocross yet? I would love to hear about how it performed....Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer... __________________Read More »