Cannondale Cyclocross Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 30c Hutchinson ProSeries Gold Elite

Submitted by Nicolas Gomez a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    This Cannondale is Fast and feels very comfortable for the long haul... I really like the second set of breaks on the handle bar. I like the overall look and ride.

Weaknesses:    When I bought the bike the handle bar tape came off right away and the cables were cris cross under the frame. "I had both problems fixed" but then I noticed that the back tire is off centered... The rear wheel does not seem to line up "I had the wheel checked and its fine" I finally figured out how to center the rear wheel using both hands my knee and elbow in order to get the wheel aligned "One hand to push the top of the wheel centered the elbo and knee to hold the bottom part of the wheel centerd and the other hand to lock the wheel... :( I think the frame itself is just not cemetric and the part where the frame holds the rear wheel in place seems to be poorly designed... "I know that the nother is perfect but when its a 1/4 inch off centered that seems like a manufacturer defect...
The Front Derailer is Tiagra which is designed for 3 gears when the Cyclocross only has 2 gears... for price you pay you would think cannondale would match shifter with the gears...

Bottom Line:
This is my first Cannondale Bike... I wanted to buy a bike that is Made in the USA Not China... I dont know any other bikes that are made in the USA... Are their any other bikes made in the USA?

Favorite Ride:   Trail

Purchased At:   Fort Lauderdale

Similar Products Used:   Specialized... Allez Sport... "Great Beginner Bike"

Submitted by ryank a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    Frame is very nice and light. The carbon fork saves a LOT of weight, compared to the aluminum fork on older Cannondale Cross models, and other bikes. This is going to be a great winter bike, and if my road bike is in the shop for some reason, it's certainly possible to race this one - the frame is light enough to make that reasonable.

The Gippemme T3 wheels are nice, too. Heavy, but solid.

105 rear derailleur is a nice touch.

Mine came with a FSA Carbon seatpost, which is more of eye candy than anything.

Poggio saddle isn't too bad. Wouldn't reccomend it on a road bike, but feels great on a cross bike.

Weaknesses:    Came with Hutchinson cross tires. Get rid of those ASAP! I ran with them for a few weeks and got SIX flats...after popping on some Michelin Cyclocross Mud tires, I haven't really had an issue.

Tiagra shifters fees icky...I'd say swap that out for some 105, or just wait until you crash enough to destroy them, or save them as emergency shifters.

Bottom Line:
This a really solid bike, with a decent selection of components and quick feel despite being strong and seemingly bulletproof. Tiagra shifters aren't the best, but seeing as I am probably going to crash and destroy them, I'm not too worried about it.

Favorite Ride:   Rail trails out by New Ipswich, NH

Purchased At:   Exeter Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden an older (2003, maybe?) Cannondale Cross bike. Mountain race on a Cannondale F600

Bike Setup:   Fizik Poggio saddle, FSA carbon seatpost, 105 rear derailleur, Tiagra front derailleur, Tiagra shifters, Cannondale brakes and levers, carbon fork, Gippemme T3 Wheels, Michelin Cyclocross Mud tires, Ultegra cassette, TruVativ crankset, some low-end Shimano pedals, Cinelli bars, Cannondale stem.

Submitted by SCW a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2005

Strengths:    Light-weight for my needs. Overall a very nice set-up made better by a good retailer.

This bike has also been EXTREMELY reliable, it gets ridden in the worst of conditions all the time, and still functions GREAT!

Weaknesses:    Seat. What a nut-cracking POS.
Wheelsets. It took about 5 tune-ups and a few hundred miles before they finally settled down and stayed true. They walked all over the place for quite a while, I was sure I was going to have to replace them. Since then they don't seem to be much worse than anything else, but I'm still suspicious.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike all around, I was shopping for a commuter bike to upgrade to and this is still the best bike for the job. I have even taken it on a few hairy mountain trails, but that's just because the bike was new and I was stupid.

I ride 10 miles a day to work in any weather. If the roads are wet I can put some nice full-sized fenders on and stay dry, and when conditions are good I can still really fly down the road.

the stock tires are pretty slow, I put some continentals on and have liked them much better on the road without any traction loss. When I think I'm going to ride a lot of dirt/mud I have to put the originals back on.

Overall I like having a comfortable roadbike that can handle all conditions very well. I live over 7400ft elevation and I ride to work even in the winter, which means snow and road salt, etc. I can hop on the bike at any time and it's ready to go and I feel very comfortable with the mt. bike brakes and longer top length. I also don't like hitting my feet on the front tire of many road bikes, and I don't have that trouble with this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Revolution in SLC Ut

Similar Products Used:   Giant OCR

Bike Setup:   Stock. Had to add headlight/taillight and tires.

Submitted by sprice200 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, fit, and overall components and price point. High price to value ratio for me.

Weaknesses:    Seat is a lower end Fizik. Toss it in a heartbeat unless you are a really cheap Yankee. Hutchinson cyclo-cross tires blew a bead at about 600 miles. Replaced both tire with Kendas and the bike is faster on the pavement and less noisy, but no lose of traction off-road.

Bottom Line:
If you have to own one bike out of the box, this is it! Living in rural New England (no the East is not one big parking lot!) the road mix is all over the place.
The gearing is great for light off road and keeps up on all but the steepest downhills. The weight beats all of the competitors who offer an off the shelf Cyclocross bike. Cannondale even gives you the option of disc brakes and just in case you change your mind after your purchase, the non-disc model has braze-ons to accommodate and upgrade (nice touch when an OEM helps make an up-sale for the local shop).
OVerall, you cannot go wrong with this bike.
I even took the bike to Germany for a vacation (lots of looks, you betcha). I regret putting 25 mm slicks on it - the bike trails were a little rough - but the bike was FAST! Kenda tires would have been perfect at the time.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale Cyclocross

Purchased At:   Goodale's Hooksett,

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Redline (too heavy). Wanted to see an ORbea but they don't make one out of the box (they should - fabulous paint and graphics!!)

Special Note to Cannondale: This was the ONLY OEM that responded to within one business to my research questions when I started researching off the shelf cyclocross bikes.

Bike Setup:   Great for a production bike. Spend the extra $$$ to make it fit.

Submitted by uprighter456 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    The carbon fork takes the edge out of the "aluminum ride". The components are solid and work in mud and sand so far.

Weaknesses:    The seat post. I had some no name junker on there. The clamp kept slipping out causing the the saddle to move all over the place. The splines in the seat clamp were too shallow. Providence Bike put a new Cannondale one on for free and no more problems.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Super stiff, good solid components. Sweet carbon fork. The Tru Vativ crankset is a nice touch. I ride the bike on a 20 mile round trip to work a couple of times a week, and the knobbys come in handy in winter. Throwing some slicks on the bike should make it a decent ride to use in beginner road races. I'm a mountain biker in the middle of the great road conversion, and this bike makes it easy so far.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Providence Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Tested Bianchi Axis. This bike was a little closer to my price range, and comparable in ride.

Disc brake compatible cyclocross wheels

Hi Guys: I'm building up a Norco CCX frame into a mountain bike flavoured commuter with the parts off of my Kona Dew. The wheels on the Dew are pretty skookum and I'd like to get something that is disc specific (the frame is disc only) but lighter (I think I'm running some low end Deore / Alex 2 ... Read More »

Help needed for first time cyclocross purchase!

Hi guys, I am new to this site and this is actually my first ever post! :D I have been riding hard tail mountain bikes for around 5 years but now feel a need to change things up a little (or a lot!) and fix myself up with a faster ride. Cyclocross seems to be the way to go for me as although I now d ... Read More »

Starting cyclocross focused (non)team - The Algea Velo

The tour is just around the corner and this, to me, signals the start of cyclocross training. I'm already longing for mud, grass, rain and lots of pain. Last season I arranged several skinsuit group buys for budding CX racers and ended up posting race reports and pictures from folks from all over ... Read More »

Trek Cyclocross 2014 ?

anything new from them considering KFC riding for them and rumors of Jpow. at least new colors., maybe disc?Read More »

child size cyclocross frame

I'm looking to buy just the frame & fork ... looking for a small-size aluminum framed bike for racing road and cyclocross for a 5'0" 10 year old boy. Any thoughts? I have enough spare components to build him out a nice ride, but I don't want to drop $600-700 on a Redline Conquest or Kona Jake, etc ... Read More »