Devinci Tosca Cyclocross Bike

• Tires: Michelin Mud 2 700x30C
  • Brake Levers: Shimano 105 5510

Submitted by Trevor Pizzey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Strong. Nice wheel set and components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Didn't come with a chainstay guard. Make sure to install one, or the chain will chip the stay up pretty quickly, especially if riding cyclocross or other rough trails.
Front wheel tends to chatter badly when braking hard. Replacing brake pads improves situation for a while, but then it starts again.

Bottom Line:
Definitely the most versatile bike I've owned, and the one that goes with me if I only have room for a single bike. It's almost as good as a road bike on pavement. Longest ride in one day has been 215 km. It's great for gravel roads. Gearing is nice for climbing on gravel or mid-quality trails, as I'm running 9 speed Shimano 105 with a 48/38 crank and a 12-27 cassette. As long as things don't get too hairy, it will do what most cross-country mountain bikes are intended for. It's extremely strong, and the most comfortable of all my bikes, so great for touring. The only issue I've had was an initial setup problem that resulted in a tendency to drop the chain off the top ring when under a lot of stress. It's been crashed several times, all without any damage to the bike. I'm really happy overall.

Favorite Ride:   Canmore, AB

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo roadbikes, Olmo, Trek.

Bike Setup:   Shimano 9 speed 105
Ksyrium wheelset
Crank Brothers pedals

Submitted by Rejean a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, robust and mechanics is very good.

Bottom Line:
This is my first Cyclocross and I love it. The tires on this bike first caught my attention. Than when I continued my investigation, I noticed that the parts on this bike are very good. I’ve been doing cycling for 33 years now. Started with a 10 speeds and now this Tosca by Devinci. I do about 2200 km each season.
I changed the front gear from a 2 plate to a 3 plate (26-36-48) also the rear gear from a 7 to a 9 gears and now I’m about to change my Shimano pedals for Crank Brothers Quattro.
This is THE bike you want if like me, you do a lot of mix road, gravel, dirt and even crossing over Rivers (holding bike by side).

Bike Setup:   Original accept for the Front gears.