Felt F1X Cyclocross Bike

Pedals: Not applicable
Tires: 700 x 35c Kenda Kwick

Submitted by MiKe a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light and affordable and quaility construction.

Weaknesses:    Geometery, fork, and, looks.

Bottom Line:
The handling is what I give the bike the lowest marks. It has a high bottom bracket and long chainstais and long front wheel base. This translates into a unstable but slow handling bike. Not good for top level racing. Also the fork is crappy, heavy, too tall, and stiff. The new version of the frame has carbon rear stays which have too little mud clearance that will actually stop the wheel.

Similar Products Used:   2008 Salsa Chili Con Crosso
2008 LaPierre Cross
2004 Salsa Las Crusas

Bike Setup:   Full DA, single chainring, carbon wheels

Submitted by RL a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2008

Strengths:    Great base package for the money. All Ultegra and 105, carbon fork, aluminum construction.

Not too heavy.

Quick and responsive.

Strong frame.

The flat black color is pretty sweet. You get lots of looks from the rec riders on the trail... especially when you drive this relatively 10 speed looking bike off the concrete into the mud and trees.

Weaknesses:    The Mavic wheel set is strong, but heavy.

It's not geared to be super fast on the flat road. I end up spinning my gears a lot, even on just a slight downhill. But it is a cyclocross bike, so what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
I beat this mother. And when I say I "beat this mother", I mean that I lay the friggin wood to it. I bought this bike because I wanted something I could ride in tri and duathlons (for recreation, not to be the fastest guy ever), but also take off road. Well, it's so fun, I end up off road more times then not. I treat this bike like a MTB, and I've already wrecked it more times then I can count (ask my elbows and knees if you don't believe me). It just keeps on ticking.

Now I'm not a huge man, 5'6" and about 170, but I have been as hard on this bike as a 6', 200lb'er.

Two weeks ago I flipped it over my head on the trail, and in the process, the rear der got hung up in the spokes. I snapped the der hanger like a twig... and because it's an aluminum frame, I was actually a little worried that I had tweaked the seat or chain stay, or maybe bent the drop out. Nope. The Ultegra der was actually bent (along with the snapped hanger) but the frame was fine! So I upgraded to the Ultegra SL, since I had to replace it anyway. Otherwise the bike is bone stock... from the Kenda tires, to the Felt saddle.

It's a great bike, and because I've enjoyed beating on it so much, I'm going to give cyclocross a try this year!

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Completely stock, aside from the upgraded Ultegra SL rear der.

I'll probably upgrade it to a totally SL setup over time (as I break more things). The grey SL color looks sharp with the black frame.

Submitted by dp a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    incredible specs considering the price
rock solid frame
well thought out cross features

Weaknesses:    heavy wheels and tires
little heavy overall

Bottom Line:
this is my first 'cross season and have been riding my felt f1x since august with its stock set-up except going to a 12-27 and upgrading to ksyrium sl wheels and michelin mud2 tires. i have been VERY impressed with this bike, especially considering the cost. the frame is very nice and does a very good job of standing up to the 'cross beating. very good mud clearance and all the 'cross niceties like a comfortable flat spot for throwing the bike over your shoulder and non-obtrusive cable runs. also, the use of aluminum bars and seat post is good. rock solid with no issues even after a couple nice wipeouts and no slippage during remounts. the groupo is very good and works flawlessly. ultgra rear der. and 105/fsa gossamer otherwise - so not top of the line but i have had not issues and the bike is still pretty light although i haven't weighed it. couple of issues that i knew about going into the purchase - the wheels are very heavy and i'm not a big fan of the stock tires. i dropped over a pound off the bike by just upgrading the wheels and used the original for pit spares. The tires are good for sand and dry conditions but not good for any type of mud or slippery conditions. also the tires say to not run them below 50psi which is no good for 'cross. i run my mud2s at 38-40psi with no issues so far. the 12-25 cassette is fine with the 36-46 up front but for the hillier races i run a 12-27. then again, i don't have a ton of power and am a moderate climber at best. btw, i run ATAC pedals which have been awesome.

Purchased At:   cycling spoken here

Bike Setup:   '07 felt f1x stock except kysrium sl wheels, michelin mud2 tires and 12-27 cassette.

Submitted by ian Fried a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Strengths:    Cheaper than a road bike, much more comfortable, and it rides quickly enough for nearly every ride.

Weaknesses:    Not a great bike to race with, heavy, comes with stock wheels, ultegra setup.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike if you plan on cyclocrossing. I've had this bike for about a year and a half, 5000 miles, and it's held up pretty well. I recently tried out a felt f3c and I was amazed at the difference, if you are looking for a road bike to do races on, i would not really recommend this bike. Although I was able to keep up at all of the races, after switching bikes I did considerably better.

Purchased At:   R&A cycles

Submitted by Mike Kender a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Strengths:    Respectable drivetrain (105/Ultegra) and decent wheels, cross-specific frame design, stable and predictable ride. Felt brand groupo is quality for the price.

Weaknesses:    Techtro Onyx brakes. This bike should have Avid Shorty 4s at least.

Bottom Line:
Just completed my 3rd CX race on my new bike and it is doing everything I hoped it would. I've ridden it on single track trails and it handled great. Fire roads - great. 6" deep Pacific NW mud - great. I bought a 12x27 cassette for the hillier courses, otherwise I go with the stock 11x23. Replaced the stock Kenda kwiks with Michilin Mud 2. Kenda's worked great when it was dry but they're no match for the mud. The bike came with a bad rear wheel - hub body defect - but my LBS where I bought it replaced the wheel under warranty and I've been good to go since. I bought this bike for racing cross and maybe as my rain bike when I'm not riding the fixie. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great cross racer at an affordable price. I also race road and mt bikes and to me this bike is the perfect blend of the two.

Favorite Ride:   Forest Park

Purchased At:   Veloce Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Tested: Lemond Poprad, Trek X01, and Kona Jake the Snake.

Bike Setup:   Stock except: tires are now Michilin Mud 2, pedals are Ritchie SPD (which shed mud nicely I must add), Ultegra 12x27 cassette.

F1X build

Sorry for the double post, I tried putting this on the ask Felt thread but it doesn't show up where it should so I'm doing a new thread. I'm building up an F1X with SRAM Red components and notice that the cable guide at the bottom bracket does not fit securely. The hole in the frame is quite a bi ... Read More »

Paid SPAM - '13 FELT F1x Carbon Disc bike - RED/CrossmaxSLRs...

Unloading a '13 Felt F1X Carbon Disc bike w/ full RED, 3T, CrossmaxSLRs... sz 55cm here is the link to the paid ad... [url=http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=33002&title=13-felt-f1x-carbon-cross-disc-55cm&cat=4]'13 FELT F1x Carbon Cross Disc - 55cm - RoadBikeREVIEW.C ... Read More »

F1x bb30 bb

Just bought a Felt F1X frameset and wondering if anyone knows which BB30 bottom bracket it takes?? 68x42 or 68x46 - thank you in advance!!Read More »

Felt F1X Disc with Di2 and Enve wheels

This years cross rigs: Felt F1X disc Ultegra Di2 Enve 45 with DT 240s Time to get dirty on it.Read More »

Recall of 07/08 Felt F1X cross bikes

[url]http://www.velonews.com/article/96846/felt-issues-recall-of--cross-bikes[/url] Steerer tubes have broke on forks.Read More »